Linux-Hardware Digest #68, Volume #14            Thu, 21 Dec 00 01:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (A transfinite number of
monkeys)
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (A transfinite number of
monkeys)
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (A transfinite number of
monkeys)
  hdparm with Maxtor U66 drives ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: soyo sy-7IWM/L motherboard and kernel panic when using append="mem=128M" (Bill
Shupp)
  driver for linksys wdt11 wireless card? ("Bill Northlich")
  Kodak Disc Transporter ("Gil Crouse")
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (jtnews)
  Re: SCSI errors... (Colin Alie)
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: LCD display for Linux/Matrox G200 (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: NIC problems (Frank Miller)
  Sound Card Problem ("Neomax")
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (Kaz Kylheku)
  Re: Abit KT7-RAID & Linux Software RAID ("Daniel Chuen")
  Re: Abit KT6-RAID & linux ("Daniel Chuen")
  Re: Installing a PCtel HSP56 MicroModem (David Mehringer)
  Gravis UltraSound problem. ("Yorker")
  Re: GeForce2 MX (Creative) Linux Problem (Chan Chung Hang Christopher)
  Re: Support AMD K6-2 / 500-2 (Chan Chung Hang Christopher)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:09:45 GMT

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:55:58 GMT,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >SoundBlaster Live!
:
: Tell me how you get surround sound, or digital audio via the digital
: audio spid/f connector under Linux?

Typical, change the point we're arguing when you're shown to be wrong...

: Tell me about LiveWare for Linux?

A goofy looking mixer and a "launcher" that isn't useful for anything
besides chewing up extra RAM?  Oh yeah, where do I sign up?

: Supported?

Sure is.

: >Creative Annihilator 2 (GeForce 2 GTS based card)
:
: And you get full use of all the 3d stuff and acceleration under Linux?

Sure do.  Pull your head out of the sand.

: Big deal. Windows supports them as well, and all of the software that
: comes with them works the way it is supposed to, as well as the
: special offer software (I got Wordperfect Office 2000 professional for
: $8.00 when I bought my Lexmark printer) works as well. With Linux you
: get to use software that looks like it was written 10 years ago.

Quit changing the subject.  You're wrong, plain and simple.  Just deal
with your state of wrongness, and move on.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:14:27 GMT

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:22:15 GMT, John Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >What you really mean is that although they "work", they are not as
: >good as the Windows versions and your card is not performing up to the
: >level of performance it was designed for.
:
: No it performs very well in either OS (TNT2 Ultra), because erm...the drivers
: are the same genious.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q3/000811/

Tom's testing clearly shows Nvidia performance on par or better in some
cases with Windoze.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:23:52 GMT

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:13:16 GMT, Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: All this hardware works because they all have the fortune of being based
: around America's top 10% hardware.

The discussion has nothing to do with your "top 10%".  It has everything
to do with some tart's statement that Linux only supports archaic
hardware.

: 3. Microsoft Intellimouse: It's a mouse.  With token support for USB (which
: was desgined around supporting MICE and Keyboards) in the Linux kernel, this
: works.

Oh, "token" support.  Heh.  Pretty advanced for "token" support.

: 4.Xirlink USB camera: Uses the same TWAIN dynamics that digicam's and
: scanners used since the Casio QV-10, why it works over USB?  Luck.

Luck?  Hardly, ibmcam.o actually.

: 5.HP LaserJet 2100M: I'll bet you this thing doesn't work outside of 75DPI
: printing.  This printer features legacy firmware so it can accomidate a lack
: of software commands.

Much to your surprise, it prints quite nicely at 1200 dpi.  Implementing
PCL6 and PS Level 2 is "legacy" and a "lack of software commands", eh?

: 8.USB-ZIP250: Linux's USB layer was engeneered with mice, keyboards and
: iomega's USB devices in mind.  No DUH that this works.

The usb-storage.o module implements the USB mass storage protocols to a
"T".  USB LS-120 drives & floppies work fine too.  Oh, did I forget
to mention that USB ethernet adapters work just fine too.

: 9.Jaz 1G: It's a tape drive, it's from iomega.  But it's still a tape drive.

It's not a tape drive.  It's a removable media disk drive.  Why not go
buy yourself a clue?

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: hdparm with Maxtor U66 drives
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:16:59 GMT

I have a Gigabyte BX-2000+ (integrated Promise ATA66 controller) with a
Maxtor 92732U8 and a Western Digital ATA66 drive attached to it.  When
Mandrake Linux 7.2 boots, the Western digital drive comes up as UDMA4
but the Maxtor comes up as UDMA2.  At boot, when the controller
initializes, it states that both drives are set at UDMA4.

I can do "hdparm -X68" on the Western Digital drive and it works.  But
the same command won't set the Maxtor drive to UDMA4.

Anyone ever see this?  I am using the kernel that comes with Mandrake
7.2.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Bill Shupp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: soyo sy-7IWM/L motherboard and kernel panic when using append="mem=128M"
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:31:47 GMT

In article <Zwc06.78894$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dan
White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "Bill Shupp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Motherboard:  soyo sy-7IWM/L 1.0 Processor: Celeron 600Mhz
> >
> > Without an append boot statement, linux is only seeing 64M of my 256 mb
> > of ram.  When I use append="mem=256M" in lilo.conf (or manually at the
> > lilo prompt), I then get a kernel panic just after the memory is
> > calculated:
>
> I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but some motherboards with
> onboard video will reserve a few megabytes at the end of RAM for video
> memory. Try specifying 255, 248 etc.
>
> - Dan White

Dan,

That was it!  Specifying 248M fixed the problem.  Thanks so much!

-Bill Shupp

------------------------------

From: "Bill Northlich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: driver for linksys wdt11 wireless card?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:34:16 GMT

Looking for said driver, thanks!
/b

------------------------------

From: "Gil Crouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kodak Disc Transporter
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 02:34:11 GMT

Does anyone out there have any technical information on the Kodak Disc
Transporter (its a CD autoloader/changer).  There is a mention of this thing
in the cdrecord man page, but no indication of how it can be used with
cdrecord.  I've been unable to get any technical info out of Kodak thus far
and have found no information on the web.  If anyone has any information on
this device I would be most greatful.

Regards,
Gil Crouse

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:55:08 -0500
From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system

Russ Lyttle wrote:

> Unfortunately, the correct answer is YEP. You might win, Intel might
> loose, but in the meantime, who has money to pay for lawyers? I would
> suggest contacting Intel and clearing it with them first. Otherwise post
> the code as "anonymous coward" somewhere from a cybercafe.

What I don't understand is why a company as big as Intel won't support
Linux, even if it was just a driver with an object file and no source,
that would do.  I'd like to use the Easy PC camera as a home security
intrusion detection camera.  If they made the driver available for
Linux, then I'd buy
at least 3 more cameras.

------------------------------

From: Colin Alie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI errors...
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:18:29 GMT

Would checking the resistance across each wire be a suitably thorough
method of checking the cable?  If not, what do you recommend?

Until next time, Colin.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:22:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Of course they are refering to Windows 95 and 98's hideous stability
: problems, not Windows NT (after SP3) Windows 2000 or Windows Me.  They don't
: realize that OS's change.

Actually, I complain about WNT SP5.

For a long time, I was running this configuration at work (as it is what is
provided for us).  While yes, my system would stay up for a few weeks at a
time, it would get *very* flaky after a week or two.

After a time, I set it up w/ Linux.  Since then, I can leave it running
forever, without any sort of hitch at all.

Cut to my home machine.  My current desktop used to run Win98, when I was
gaming a lot.  Again -> yeah, I'd leave it up for a few weeks sometimes,
but it'd get real weird, and any heavy gaming would need a reboot.  I now
run exclusively linux on it and it has now been up for 6 weeks.

My server machine is running FreeBSD, and has been up for 4 weeks, and only
that short because I was futzing with some of the kernel files.  It had
been up for 4 months prior to that -> with no flakiness whatsoever.

--
    Jeff Gentry  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           SEX           DRUGS           UNIX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:24:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Why should I have to pay $20 for a driver for my card?

Well, w/ Linux you got the OS for free, so count the $20 against the
cost of 'Doze.

--

Subject: Re: LCD display for Linux/Matrox G200
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 Dec 2000 22:43:27 -0500

Ian Pilcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My 17" CRT seems to be on its last legs.  If it does die, I'd like to
> go the LCD route.  I'd like to hear any recommendations/experiences
> that people have had in this area.
>
> I'll probably stick with a 1024x768 LCD for cost reasons.  I'm
> particularly interested in the experiences people have had getting clear
> pictures with standard SVGA connections.

Get a monitor that can do analog (standard SVGA connector) either in addition
to or instead of the digital connector.  Right now, the standard X does not
support the digital flatpanel extension, but a dropin binary only replacement
from Matrox claims to support it (I haven't had time to get it to work with my
G400).  Also the 2.4 kernel matrox framebuffer code claims to support the
digital as well.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:18:01 GMT

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:24:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>: Why should I have to pay $20 for a driver for my card?
>
>Well, w/ Linux you got the OS for free, so count the $20 against the
>cost of 'Doze.

And add in the cost of the other 4 pieces of hardware that don't work
with Linux that are now effectively boat anchors.

Nope.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: Frank Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIC problems
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:19:08 GMT

Benner10 wrote:

> I have a custom built machine that has an IDE hard drive, IDE CD-ROM drive, a
> 3dlabs permedia 2 pci video card, and a digital etherworks 3 isa nic. i've been
> using this machine for SETI@home for a long time.  I run Mandrake Linux 7.2.
> All of a sudden, the network card stopped working.  The OS still recognized the
> card, it just couldn't ping the rest of the network nor be pinged.  I rebooted
> and it recognized the card on boot as usual but the same problem happened.  i
> figured some configuration could've gotten corrupted so I started over.  I
> reconfigured the card and rebooted (which i didn't really need to do) and the
> same problem was happening.  Then i figured that the card had broken.  i put in
> another - this time a generic NE2000.  exact same problem!  recognizes the
> card, but doesn't work.  then I tried both network cards in another machine and
> they worked perfectly as they should.  so i reinstalled Mandrake on the first
> box.  i tried a network install but was unable to because after it detected the
> card, it couldn't communicate with my ftp server.  i also couldn't ping it with
> any boxes on the rest of the network.  this happened with both cards.  i reset
> my bios to default and even moved the card to another slot. i'm lost - please
> help!

I had a similar experience.  Turned out to be the motherboard.  A slight
chance but???

------------------------------

From: "Neomax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Card Problem
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:36:15 +0800

My sound card is Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI. The sndconfig can reconize it
but it is not supported.
Is there anyway I can do with it?
Thanx!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:48:34 GMT

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:55:08 -0500, jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Russ Lyttle wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, the correct answer is YEP. You might win, Intel might
>> loose, but in the meantime, who has money to pay for lawyers? I would
>> suggest contacting Intel and clearing it with them first. Otherwise post
>> the code as "anonymous coward" somewhere from a cybercafe.
>
>What I don't understand is why a company as big as Intel won't support
>Linux, even if it was just a driver with an object file and no source,
>that would do.

It is precisely because they are so big. Intel looks like one megacorporation
from the outside, but from the inside view they are a collection of many
divisions, some of them small. One division doesn't necessarily know what
another one is doing.  So you cannot have some global Intel-wide Linux support
initiative. Every little project team basically has to decide whether and how
to go about it.  However, what is Intel-wide is a general paranoia about
releasing information that comes down from the top.  So if someone on the Easy
PC camera team wanted to release the information that would help people make a
driver, he or she would probably have to deal with quite a bit of bureaucracy.
Or maybe nobody on that team has thought of doing that. Or perhaps---you never
know---that team has Linux support already in their future product plan. Aside
from reverse engineering, the only way to get anywhere is to get in touch with
the people within Intel who developed that camera. There could be as few
as only 20-30 people behind that.

> I'd like to use the Easy PC camera as a home security
>intrusion detection camera.  If they made the driver available for Linux, then
>I'd buy at least 3 more cameras.

Of course, unless the Easy PC camera people read this newsgroup, they
won't know that. ;)

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Chuen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Subject: Re: Abit KT7-RAID & Linux Software RAID
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 05:16:26 GMT

I have a separate hard drive hook up to /dev/hda.  The 2 drives for the Raid
is hook up to the primary and secondary master of the highpoint ide ports,
i.e. ide2 & ide3

But I keep getting the abort message from mkraid...  anyone know how to find
out in the syslog what might be causing the problem?

Thanks!

Daniel

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Chuen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit KT6-RAID & linux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 05:20:03 GMT

you have to get the patch to the kernel in order to use the highpoint
controller.  checkout the www.highpoint-tech.com web site.

You may have to plug your hard drive to ide0 during install until you have
the patch kernel compiled.

Daniel
"DjM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:r99Z5.59802$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Dude,
>
> What did you do to get Linux installed on your ABit?  I have 6 ABit
machines
> to install Linux on and can't get through the installation.  I suspect
that
> the HPT366 controller requires some special attention (as it usually
does).
> Did you have to pass the kernel a directive or two?
>
> FYI: I'll also be setting up on a few HPT370's, too.
>
> Thanks,
> DjM

news:90lfs0$5jj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: David Mehringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing a PCtel HSP56 MicroModem
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:22:59 -0600

The one you have may not work with post 2.2.14 kernels.  Have a look at

http://www.eastwind.com.au/pctel.htm

--
David Mehringer, Ph.D.            University of Illinois
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           National Center for Supercomputing

------------------------------

From: "Yorker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gravis UltraSound problem.
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:31:43 +0100

Hello NG,

I cannot make my Gravis UltraSound card work with either Mandrake 7.2 or Red
Hat 7.0.. It's the same problem for both. After installing Linux, and I try
to play some sound, it says that it's not installed. I can't bring up the
Mixer either.

But then I run the 'SNDCONFIG' from the console, and it detects my GUS PnP
card fine, but i cannot hear the test sound properly. If I try to configure
it manually, it's the same. But If I choose 'yes' to that I heard the sound,
everything looks (looks!) fine. I'm restarting. The 'GUS' point appears in
all the things that appears during boot, and a nice 'tick' (or whatever..)
is heard from the speakers, so it should be fine..

But the sound does NOT work, properly.. I can bring up the mixer now. But if
I try to hear some sound, the sound sounds (three 'sound' words - sounds
confusing.. :-) all 'chukky' or 'stuttering'.. It sounds so annoying..

Can anybody help in some way? Does someone have experience with this? If you
people needs to see some log files, or whatever, please ask for them. I'm
new to Linux, so I'm not sure which ones to show you, or where they are
located.. Please help!!

Quick PC config, if that's relevant:

Asus K7M motherboard (rev 1.04)
AMD Athlon 500 (clocked to 700 - tried with both 500 and 700 MHz..)
18Gb Western Digital Expert HD
Matrox Millennium G400 Max DH (no problem)
Advanced Gravis UltraSound PnP
Tekram DC390F SCSI controller (no problem with this one)
100Mbit RealTek ethernet card (no problem)
Creative Labs DXR3 Mpeg Decoder (?? did not concentrate on this one yet ??)
Plextor 40x SCSI CD-ROM
Sony CDU920S CD-R

Please help

Sencerely,
            Brian

------------------------------

From: Chan Chung Hang Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.i
Subject: Re: GeForce2 MX (Creative) Linux Problem
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:38:25 +0800

go get the new version (4.0.2)

That's the only one that supports the Geforce 2 series.

From: Chan Chung Hang Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Support AMD K6-2 / 500-2
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:47:25 +0800

Well I use a K6-2-500 with my Asus P5A motherboard and Linux rocks!

My CPU is not over-clocked though...