  snd-card-sb16.o for SUSE Linux 7.0 with a kernel recompiled to 2.2.18 (cash)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: RH6.1/ATI AIW Rage 128/Dell GX1
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:14:14 GMT

I installed RH6.1 on my Dell GX1 with on-board ATI Rage Pro and add-on
ATI AIW-128(Rage 128) under the text mode. I have also downloaded and
installed XFree86 v4.0.2 for glibc21. All of this was done using
text-mode on the ATI AIW-128 card. There is nothing coming out from the
Rage Pro port and I don't want to use it.

Xconfigurator always detect the on-board Rage Pro card(and use the
Mach64 driver) but not the AIW-128. I tried Xconfigurator --card r128
without any success(it reports some error and exit). Could someone
please help?

I am wondering whether the PCI probe at boot time detect the Rage Pro
before the AIW-128 and wrote it somewhere. And then Xconfigurator read
from this file?

TIA
Pok

------------------------------

From: Matt O'Toole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Routers/Servers
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:23:11 GMT

Neil Cherry wrote:

> I agree Matt, a small add saying hey we're here, here's what we do,
> come take a look. It goes a long way towards customer relations.

A better way to present it is, here's my opinion FWIW, here's who I am, and
if you're interested in where I'm coming from and what I do, you can find
me (and mine) here...

> BTW, I'm going to be working on an article on how to build diskless
> Linux boxen to perform routing functionality. I guess my price may be
> a bit better as I'm only selling the article to a magazine and all the
> code and such will be free (I'm not in business).

Great!

> So I guess I'll be
> one of their competitors (now I'm saying bad things about the
> competition :-).

That's fine, too, as long as you have the chops to back it up.  We'd never
get anywhere if no one ever pointed out when things are being done badly,
and such opinions are even more credible when coming from someone with a
better solution.  It must be better, though, or you'll need a crowbar to
pull your foot out of your mouth.

Cheers,

Matt O.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: displaying video memory
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:37:30 GMT

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a way to display ( either through the gui or
command-line ) the amount of memory on the video card in the system.

I am running Red Hat 6.2 but also have Red Hat 7.0 machines too.

Thank you.

TBC

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Pentium III Motherboard Recommendation
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 00:38:35 +0100

"Richard E. Robbins" wrote:
> I expect to build a dual Pentium III linux server.  The system will
> include hot swap SCSI disks, a floppy CD and internal SCSI tape
> backup device.  The chassis will be rack-mount.  I assume that it
> will need to be larger than 2U to support the devices listed above.

Most space will probably be needed by the hot-swap scsi-disks.

> I'd prefer to base this on a motherboard with integrated NIC and SCSI
> controllers.

SuperMicro has some motherboards based on the ServerWorks chipset with
NIC from intel and SCSI from adaptech integrated. However, this Ultra160
will probably need a separate box to take care of hot-swap. I think
there is a company called andataco which makes SCSI-boxes with hot-swap
canisters.

> I had been considering the L440GXG and STL2 Intel boards. I'd prefer
> a 133 FSB system which suggests the STL2 and not the older L440GXG.

Then you will need a chipset from VIA (lowend, cheap) or ServerWorks
(highend, expensive).

> I'd like to expand my horizons beyond Intel motherboards and would
> appreciate greatly your suggestions for a motherboard and rack-mount
> case combination that is known to work well with Linux (presumably
> RedHat 7 based).

A good place to find motherboards on the web is a page called something
like "acme motherboard finder" (sorry, I don't have the URL here).

Stay away from motherboards with intel 8xx chipset. Some have APIC
problems in Linux, others have problems with SDRAM as they are optimised
for RAMBUS memory which is much more expensive than SDRAM.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: OptiPlex GMT 5133 ide2 usable?
Date: 28 Dec 2000 22:05:44 GMT

I have purchased a Dell OptiPlex GMT 5133 to use as a Linux firewall.
I have discovered that although it has two ide ports on the motherboard
RedHat Linux 7.0 install only sees the first one.  A quick search on
the Dell support web site reveals that to use the second ide port on
the motherboard requires a special driver that Dell lists as being
available for several older operating systems:

IBM OS/2 2.1x
Microsoft Windows 3.1
Microsoft Windows NT 3.1
Novell NetWare 3.1x
Novell NetWare 4.0x
SCO UNIX 3.2.4

Anyone have any luck getting any version of Linux to recognize the ide2
interface on this motherboard?

Thanks,
  Frank Swasey
--
Always remember: You are UNIQUE, just like everyone else.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 17:17:29 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "COM 5"?

Hi,

Maybe I've missed something but how was it that the original poster of
this thread got his modem to work off of COM 5? That's what my modem is
on and considering there are only 4 available in Linux I don't see how
I'm supposed to get it to work. It has worked before (it's the actiontec
modem) but it was on another IRQ back then and I got the cards in my
motherboard situated about the only way they will work so I don't think
I can switch PCI slots to get another IRQ.

Can u point me to any URLs or give any personal advice on how to get the
modem working on COM5?
Thanks
In the meantime I'll look for info myself.

Subject: Building new system
From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:23:11 GMT

I want to replace my computer with newer stuff (this P-200 system is too
slow to be any fun anymore).  I'll probably buy parts and build it.
Problem is, I've been out of the loop for so long I don't even know what a
decent Linux baseline system is anymore.  So:

Which processor?

Which m/b?

How much and what kind of RAM?

What kind of video/how much video RAM?

I've always liked how easy IDE is but I'd like to get a scanner and a
  recordable CD setup so should I switch to SCSI or stick with lower cost
  IDE (I don't know jack about SCSI)?

I don't want anything that's bleeding-edge - I just want something faster
and more modern.  And I'd like to keep it around $1000 (or less).

This is a system for home use.  I don't play any games.  I use it mainly
for Internet and some working from home.

And is there a Linux site somewhere which lists suggestions for system
components that will work together (not the hardware validation site)?

Thanks...

Mike
--

========================
hardymi@[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Auntie Em: Hate you, hate Kansas; took the dog - Dorothy

------------------------------

From: "Svenn Derrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Old Monitor...Refresh rates specs
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:36:08 -0000

------------------------------

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old Monitor...Refresh rates specs
Date: 28 Dec 2000 16:34:28 -0600

>> On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:36:08 -0000,
>> "Svenn Derrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hi All I recently acquired an old HP SVGA D2804A monitor,
> discontinued way back in 1996, but still going strong, anybody
> happen to know the Horizontal and Vertical refresh rates on this old
> monitor?

    http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors/hp/

hth
Eih bennek, eih blavek.

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6.1/ATI AIW Rage 128/Dell GX1
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:35:22 -0800

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I installed RH6.1 on my Dell GX1 with on-board ATI Rage Pro and add-on
> ATI AIW-128(Rage 128) under the text mode. I have also downloaded and
> installed XFree86 v4.0.2 for glibc21. All of this was done using
> text-mode on the ATI AIW-128 card. There is nothing coming out from the
> Rage Pro port and I don't want to use it.
>
> Xconfigurator always detect the on-board Rage Pro card(and use the
> Mach64 driver) but not the AIW-128. I tried Xconfigurator --card r128
> without any success(it reports some error and exit). Could someone
> please help?

geezzz.... I'm not cross-posting the reply over all those groups ;-)

It might help if you posted the details of 'some error' to give anyone a
better chance at solving the problem...

I belive you should find the log for XFree86 at /var/log/XFree86.0 or
something similar.

Also... try 'XFree86 -configure >& xfreedump.txt' and look at xfreedump.txt
(better yet.... post the results)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: 3Com 3c905 cards:  here's how
Date: 28 Dec 2000 17:58:07 -0500

While setting up my new Linux box (thanks again to those of you who tipped
me to the ultra-dma thing), I went a few rounds with the network card.
And I won.  Saw a lot of posts from people who were having problems and
gave up.  Here's something you might try if you don't mind a little cheap
kernel makefile messing.

Basically, when booting the RH7 kernel, 2.2.16-22, the card worked.
After grabbing the 2.2.18 release and building, it didn't.  The 905 series
(in my case, a "Tornado") shows up in menuconfig as the same choice as
the 59x.  Unfortunately, no 3c90x.o file was ever being built, hence,
no module support nor builtin support.

You can learn a lot at http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html and pages
linked from there.  As it happens, I never used anything from there except
the explanations on the pages themselves.  Maybe a newer driver is there.

Maybe Red Hat added this driver to 2.2.16 for their release.  I don't know;
I don't have the pure .16 sources and am not going to download them just
to satisfy my curiosity.  :-)  Anyhow, with the 2.2.16-22 sources from
RH7 and the pure 2.2.18 sources sitting side-by-side,

    -  From .16's drivers/net, copy 3c90x.[hc] into drivers/net in the
       .18 sources.  Maybe they're stright from 3Com, maybe RH wrote them
       from scratch; I didn't look and don't care.  The header size is
       49928 bytes, the source is 170567 bytes, and their m5sum's are

         ad376e94415fcc568f7a4a51962f7732  3c90x.c
         eae6351d10b480ef004eb8b371fb856c  3c90x.h

       so you can see if you have the same files.  (Please don't email me
       asking for them; I don't read this account often.  Surely someone
       with access to a web or ftp server can put them up.)

    -  Edit .18's drivers/net/Makefile and find the section for the
       CONFIG_VORTEX.  For both L_OBJS and M_OBJS, add the 90x object
       file to the list, like

         n_OBJS += 3c59x.o 3c90x.o
                           ^^^^^^^  add this

       Even if you're not using the module, go ahead and add it to the
       M_ list, just in case you change your mind in the future.

    -  make *config and be sure to add the Vortex support in networking
       cards, then "make dep clean bzImage blah blah" you know the deal.

Works like a champ.  I have no idea what kind of throughput I'm getting
because I don't recall how to measure that under Linux.

Luck++;
Phil

------------------------------

From: "Svenn Derrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:14:56 -0000

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:20:46 GMT

Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > I expect to build a dual Pentium III linux server.  The system will
> > include hot swap SCSI disks, a floppy CD and internal SCSI tape
> > backup device.  The chassis will be rack-mount.  I assume that it
> > will need to be larger than 2U to support the devices listed above.

> Most space will probably be needed by the hot-swap scsi-disks.

Look at

  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1204025775

for a 2U case which has five hot-swap slots.  I presume that Atlantec
also sells the case retail (rather than over eBay).  Note that this
case doesn't have room for a 3.5" floppy or a tape backup, but others
might.

> > I'd prefer to base this on a motherboard with integrated NIC and SCSI
> > controllers.

> SuperMicro has some motherboards based on the ServerWorks chipset with
> NIC from intel and SCSI from adaptech integrated. However, this Ultra160
> will probably need a separate box to take care of hot-swap. I think
> there is a company called andataco which makes SCSI-boxes with hot-swap
> canisters.

I'd personally suggest just getting a bigger box.  A 2U chassis can
cost twice as much as a 4U one, and about the same as a 6U or bigger.
If you're looking for manufacturers, check out Boomrack; I have their
4U model and like it.  (The P/S has been flaky, but they've replaced
it sight unseen with Next-Day-AM delivery, which makes up for it.)

> > I had been considering the L440GXG and STL2 Intel boards. I'd prefer
> > a 133 FSB system which suggests the STL2 and not the older L440GXG.

> Then you will need a chipset from VIA (lowend, cheap) or ServerWorks
> (highend, expensive).

I advise against a VIA chipset.  It's perfectly reliable for many
applications, but for a server of any sort you want something better.

The Tyan Thunder 2500 is SW-based and takes dual slot-1 CPUs.  All the
SW-based SuperMicros take S370 CPUs (except the Xeons).

> > I'd like to expand my horizons beyond Intel motherboards and would
> > appreciate greatly your suggestions for a motherboard and rack-mount
> > case combination that is known to work well with Linux (presumably
> > RedHat 7 based).

> A good place to find motherboards on the web is a page called something
> like "acme motherboard finder" (sorry, I don't have the URL here).

Shopping for these motherboards sucks.  Your best resource may be
eBay.  I haven't been able to find a place that sells the SW-based
SuperMicros, and Tyan states on their Web page that they won't sell to
retailers or individuals.

> Stay away from motherboards with intel 8xx chipset. Some have APIC
> problems in Linux, others have problems with SDRAM as they are optimised
> for RAMBUS memory which is much more expensive than SDRAM.

Something needs to be done about the i840 IO-APIC problem.  I can find
i840 boards by the bushel, and for a sight less than comparable SW
models.

Is anyone working on this at all?  Have we even confirmed what the
problem is?

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Luckily I have the fashion sense of a colorblind street pimp

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 30 Gig or 40 Gig hd. Quantum, Maxtor or Western Digital?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:29:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a new harddrive 7200 rpm 30 to 40
> gigs. I was wondering if there was a difference in performance or
> reliability between a Western Digital, Maxtor or Quantum Fireball. My
> local shop offers them at more or less the same price, so not much
> difference to me. Any thoughs?
>
> Thanks, happy hollidays,
> Strachie

I had a hell of tiem trying to get the WD 45GB 5400RPM drive working under
Windows2000 Pro as well as Linux.  When I called the WD support line, they
told me that it was the problem of my mobo.  Then, when I called the
company of the mobo, they told me that it has nothing to do with them and
asked me to complain to the WD.  So, I felt like being kicked like a
football.  Bottom line, stay away from WD (at least this is my opinion).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Strange Reporting of Free Space on the HDD
Date: 28 Dec 2000 23:59:18 GMT

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:03:26 +0000, Louis Z staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>Filesystem  1M-blocks      Used     Available Use% Mounted on
>/dev/hdc5   296            210        71      75%   /
>/dev/hdc7   1969           1698       171     91%   /home
>/dev/hdc6   2463           2443       0       100%  /usr
>/dev/hdc8   486            55         406     12%   /var
>
>Notice how /usr reports 0 free.  Calculate the Total and Used columns -
>there are 20 megs free!  Can anyone tell me what's happening, or at
>least, how to fix it?  I've tried fsck-ing it, I've tried rebooting the
>system, but nothing seems to have any affect.
[snp]

The ext2 filesystem reserves a certain percentage of space (typically
5%) for use by a certain UID (typically 0, or "root".)  If you try it
out, you will probably find that a normal user cannot write anything to
any directory under /usr, while root can.  If this bugs you, you can
mess with the reserved block percentage and/or adjust the UID who can
benefit from the reserved blocks with "tune2fs".  "man tune2fs" and
remember to mount the partition read-only before you tune2fs it.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: bjc7000 printer
Date: 28 Dec 2000 23:59:19 GMT

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:35:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
>I am new to linux and have setup corel linux.

I'm sorry.  Corel is not the best choice for any user, they've done a
bunch of screwy things to the basic Debian layout, and they may be
getting out of the Linux business.

>Question : I have a bjc7000 that when used in windoz 98 I can print
>photo quality pictures can this be done on linux?
>There is a printer setup for bjc7000 but I find the quality little
>better than a colour dot matrix printer

Go to http://linuxprinting.org/ and look for "BJC-7000".  Follow the
directions there and you'll most likely get better quality out of your
printer.  FWIW, I did the same thing for my BJC-6000, setting up
separate printer queues for the 360 and 720 DPI print filters.  The 720
DPI filter gave better quality than the 'Doze print drivers, but it took
a very long time to print anything.  HTH,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Invalid Checksum with #com 3C905C
Date: 28 Dec 2000 23:59:20 GMT

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 11:06:12 -0500, Chris Selivanow staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>       I am having a problem with a few 3com cards that
>the driver says have an Invalid checksum.
>
>I am running kernel 2.0.37 and my hardware is:
>Super Micro P6SBA rev. 2.00 Mainboard 3Com 3C905C Network cards
>I added the device ID for the 3c905c card to the 3c59x driver, as it
>only knew of 905's and 905B's.
>
>Most of the cards work great, although a few cards have given me the
>Invalid Checksum error.  Other than that the cards seem to function
>properly.
>
>I read through the source and found out that that error was refering to
>the checksum of the EEPROM but I do not know what affect an invalid
>checksum has on the card and was wondering if someone could tell me.
>
>Unfortunatly, I am unable to update the kernel at this time, but would
>appreciate any info people can give me.

You really should upgrade; the 2.0 series is ancient history and usually
used for specialized applications where every byte of kernel image size
counts (think Tom's RootBoot and/or embedded devices.)  I've heard a
couple of other people saying they couldn't upgrade; could you please
send a more detailed explanation of *why*?  (via E-mail if you think
it's off-topic...)

Anyway, I've seen this exact same thing with some 3Com 905s and older
kernels.  It didn't seem to affect anything wrt network performance or
quality; I FTPed tens of megabytes to/from another machine on a Dell
with an "Invalid Checksum" error on boot with no corruption of data or
performance loss.  (was running at 10Mbit, though.  The place was wired
with Cat-3.)

From: cash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: snd-card-sb16.o for SUSE Linux 7.0 with a kernel recompiled to 2.2.18
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 17:07:17 -0700

I am trying to recompile the 2.2.16 kernel to 2.2.18 within the SUSE 7.0
Distro. I have been suscessful in getting everything to work so far. But I
am unable to run either ALSA or OSS to get the soundcard working.

After attempting to run ALSA, the alsaconf program complains that
snd-card-sb16.o cannot be found. Lo and behold, this object file didn't get
compiled within my modules for 2.2.18, although they were for 2.2.16. Which
setting do I need to make within the .config file the kernel to get all the
snd-card*.o files created? Thanks. You can respond to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] after removing the underscores. Thanks.