Linux-Hardware Digest #129, Volume #14            Thu, 4 Jan 01 15:13:05 EST

Contents:
  DSL Modem Question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux Routers/Servers (Paul Fox)
  Re: HELP!!! Can't install RH 6.2! (Craig McCluskey)
  Re: DVB Satellite PCI Cards (Paul Bristow)
  Re: boot sector corrupt...maybe? ("Fabio Olimpieri")
  Re: PCMCIA, winmodems(gag), and Acer TravelMate ("Fabio Olimpieri")
  Re: boot sector corrupt...maybe? (Mark Bratcher)
  D-Link DFE-680 TX (Timo Weidl)
  Re: DSL Modem Question (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Quake 3 -- Keyboard Key Combination Issues? (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Soundboard recommendation sought (Kenneth R. van Wyk)
  Re: DVB Satellite PCI Cards (Matt)
  Re: CPU upgrade for old Intel P90 (Zappa motherboard) (Jim McDonald)
  Re: boot sector corrupt...maybe? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: boot sector corrupt...maybe? (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: boot sector corrupt...maybe? (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: boot sector corrupt...maybe? (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: DSL Modem Question (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: A good place to buy components? (Howard Arons)
  PCI/ISA Slots--What? (Howard Arons)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DSL Modem Question
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 17:13:54 GMT

Hi,
   I am planning to buy a "Efficient Networks SpeedStream 4060" DSL
Modem. It is USB Modem. Question is will this work on Linux. Could
please someone let me know. Also has anybody used a winfire.com's Free
DSL on Linux OS??

   The spec for "Efficient Networks SpeedStream 4060 " can be found at
the following link.

   http://www.efficient.com/products/modusb.html

Regards

Pavan

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Paul Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Routers/Servers
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 17:22:42 GMT

:>Have you seen the Linux Router Project (LRP)? They have a web-based
:>config page where you type in a bunch of info about your system
:>(NICs, IPs, etc) and the email you a floppy image that you can boot
:>from a floppy and, voila, you have a router without a hard drive.
:
: I will be experimenting with the LRP stuff but this router will be
: totally diskless when completed. I'll be using Etherboot to get it
: started then switch to and NFS based kernel. I haven;t made any

i'm not sure i'd want my firewall running nfs.

paul
=---------------------
  paul fox, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP!!! Can't install RH 6.2!
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:44:18 -0600

Jon Griffin wrote:

> Why are you typing expert to do an install. Are you really an
> "expert"?

Yes, I know which specific packages I want to install.

Do you have any suggestions to my problem?

Craig

------------------------------

From: Paul Bristow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVB Satellite PCI Cards
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:56:31 +0100

Hi Matt,

Take a look at linuxtv.org

I know the Hauppauge DVB-S card works, I have heard that the Siemens card,
the Technotrend card, and perhaps the Skymedia card works as well.

Matt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Which DVB PCI card is supported by Linux ?
>
> Regards
>
> Matt
>
>         Kiss Nordic SATDEM card (Driver Version 1.09)
>         Kiss Nordic SATDEM card (Driver Version 1.10)
>         Pentamedia Pent@NET card (Driver Version 2.5)
>         Harmonic Data CyberStream SAT1 card (Driver Version 5.3)
>         Broadlogic card (Driver Version 16.29)
>         Technotrend TT-DVBsat PCI card (Driver Version 1.22)
>         Technisat SkyStar1 card (Driver Version 1.22)
>         Hauppauge card (Driver Version 1.22)
>         SkyStar2 card (Driver Version 2.0.0)
>         Siemens set-top box
>         Telemann Skymedia-200 card
>         SCM USB box

Paul Bristow
ICQ #11965223

------------------------------

From: "Fabio Olimpieri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: boot sector corrupt...maybe?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 17:43:25 GMT

I got the same problem with my computer. I could boot only using linux but
not Windows.
Furthermore I could mount and see the Windows partition from linux .
I used Norton Disk Doctor to examine the boot sectors and I found out that
there are 2 copies of FAT,
one of them was corrupted. For this reason Windows was not able to read the
hard disk anymore.
I tried to use "fsck" to repair the fat with no results.
I installed Windows 98 and linux again and now everything is working
properly.

Fabio

news:BGO46.556$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Fabio Olimpieri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,git.unix.linux
Subject: Re: PCMCIA, winmodems(gag), and Acer TravelMate
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 17:43:37 GMT

The driver for the Lucent winmodem doesn't work any more from the kernel
2.2.16 .
If you have this kind of modem, you have to patch and compile the Kernel.You
have to patch the tty.h file. I did it and
now my modem works properly ( I have an Acer Travel Mate 516TE).
Here it is a link to a page where you can find the instructions to resolve
your problem:

http://www13.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/personen/rehn/linux_on_travelmate516t
e/

Fabio

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 13:02:20 -0500

==============06951B1CC0E5A44E3CE29F93

I believe Norton Disk Doctor can copy the good FAT to the bad one.
Did you try that? It might have saved you from having to reinstall Windows.

Fabio Olimpieri wrote:

> I got the same problem with my computer. I could boot only using linux but
> not Windows.
> Furthermore I could mount and see the Windows partition from linux .
> I used Norton Disk Doctor to examine the boot sectors and I found out that
> there are 2 copies of FAT,
> one of them was corrupted. For this reason Windows was not able to read the
> hard disk anymore.
> I tried to use "fsck" to repair the fat with no results.
> I installed Windows 98 and linux again and now everything is working
> properly.
>
> Fabio

==============06951B1CC0E5A44E3CE29F93

begin:vcard
n:Bratcher;Mark
tel;fax:716/288-4604
tel;work:716/288-7220
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.tpr.com
org:Torrey Pines Research
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Director of Software Development
adr;quoted-printable:;;565 Blossom Road=0D=0ASuite A;Rochester;New York;14610;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;19472
fn:Bratcher, Mark
end:vcard

From: Timo Weidl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: D-Link DFE-680 TX
Date: 04 Jan 2001 18:46:39 +0100

Hello,

I try to get a D-Link DFE-680 TX running SUSE 6.4 with kernel 2.2.14.
Just bind "tulip_cb" seems not to work. The card starts,
ifconfig eth0 seems to work, but does in fact not assign
the IP to the card and the network is unreachable.
Probably one needs the proper options, the ones suggested
for DFE-660 TX do not work.

I would be grateful for any hint.

Timo

Timo Weidl

Naturwissenschaftliche                  Matematiska Institutionen
Fakultaet I - Mathematik -              Kungliga Tekniska Hoegskolan
Universitaet Regensburg                 S-10044 Stockholm
D-93040 Regensburg                      Sverige
Deutschland

tel.: int+49-941-943 2803               tel.: int+46-8-7906582
fax : int+49-941-943 3263               fax : int+46-8-7231788
                                        office: 3625
                                        mobile: 070-3685159

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.math.kth.se/~weidl/

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DSL Modem Question
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 13:05:23 -0500

==============DD81884F93031B77F757CCBC

Pavan,

If it would work at all, you'd need the 2.4 kernel. However, I'm not sure if
even the 2.4 kernel would support USB for a DSL modem.

Mark

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Quake 3 -- Keyboard Key Combination Issues?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 20:21:08 +0100

Alex Diaz wrote:
> However, I'm experiencing key-lockup issues. I have my stafe keys
> configured as z (left) and x (right). My backpedal key is control.
> If I am strafing and hit the ctrl key to back pedal while, say, x is
> pressed, the x key will lock up.

Maybe you have these problems because you hit a ctrl-key combination?
Ctrl-Z usually means to stop a program. If you don't want to use another
key on your keyboard for backpedal, you might want to make your
control-key become caps-lock and caps-lock become ctrl? This is probably
possible using showkey and loadkeys.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Kenneth R. van Wyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Soundboard recommendation sought
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:46:07 -0500

Greetings,

I'm currently running RH7 with KDE 2.0.1 and all of the updates on my
desktop system at home.  Everything is running well with no complaints.  My
soundboard, however, is an el-cheapo Soundblaster 16 PCI.  I'm looking to
upgrade it to something that is more capable -- wavetable synthesis,
multiple MIDI voices, etc.  I'm looking for a recommendation on what to get.

I'd previously been using a Soundblaster 16 ISA with the wave daughterboard
and DSP chip, and I was VERY happy with that.  My new motherboard (a
Supermicro PIIIDM3), however, is PCI only, so I can't use that.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a wavetable PCI-based soundboard
that works well in RedHat Linux.  Please send them to me and I'll summarize
the suggestions back to the group.

Thanks,

Ken

------------------------------

From: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:53:49 +0000

Cheers Paul,

I will have a look.

Do any come with a SDK ?

Many thanks

Matt

------------------------------

From: Jim McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPU upgrade for old Intel P90 (Zappa motherboard)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:16:54 -0800

Chris Rankin wrote:

> Hi,
> I am looking for a CPU upgrade for an old Pentium 90. The chip is Socket
> 5, and the motherboard manual documents that it could theoretically
> accept a P120. (It actually describes the CPU as an "Intel P54C Pentium
> operating at 3.3 volts VCC".) However, considering the struggle I had
> finding a P200MMX over two years ago, I am sceptical about ever finding
> a P120.
>
> Fortunately, Intel are no longer the only game in town. Does anyone know
> of any compatible AMD, Cyrix or other CPU manufacturers' chips which
> might realistically be considered upgrades from a P90?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Try these guys: http://www.satech.com/; I've bought a couple of old
Intel CPUs from them.
I think the P120 was ~$16.

--
Jim McDonald
htttp://www.stanford.edu/~mcduck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 19:07:39 GMT

Ok, at the risk of sounding REALLY stupid here, if I can only boot
linux, how do I run Norton Disk Doctor?

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 14:39:35 -0500

==============F34209A0E9A71F3662057831

My comment was for Fabio's post, who said he ran NDD to see the two FATs.

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 14:43:19 -0500

==============8EEF35FAF4B27E2345A25F65

My comment (if you look at it carefully) was in reply to Fabio's post in which
he indicates that he used NDD to see two FATs on his drive, one of them corrupt.

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 14:47:00 -0500

==============04B7B5BEC92589378FF315F2

My comment (if you look at it carefully) was in reply to Fabio's post in which
he indicates that he used NDD to see two FATs on his drive, one of them corrupt.
I apologize for the ambiguity.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: 4 Jan 2001 15:02:32 -0500

On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 17:13:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hi,
>   I am planning to buy a "Efficient Networks SpeedStream 4060" DSL
>Modem. It is USB Modem. Question is will this work on Linux.

No dice. It requires a device specific driver, and Efficient has not
done one, nor have they released anything where someone else could. You
need ethernet.

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Howard Arons)
Subject: Re: A good place to buy components?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:04:03 -0000

On 02 Jan 2001 15:16:26 -0500, Michael Meissner wrote in comp.os.linux.hardware:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>> Any suggestions on a good place to buy components for a new
>> "build-from-scratch" computer project?
>
>I tend to like NECX Direct (http://www.necxdirect.com/) myself since its web
>site is fairly informative, including detailed description of features,
>comparisons of features between models, links to the manufacturer's web site.

That's quite true, but one word of caution re NECX--don't expect to get a
refund from them, even if they make an error. They have 10^6 plausible
stories about your refund being on the way, but it will never appear on your
account.

If you have a problem, file a "Billing Error" notice with your credit card
company AT ONCE, and let them deal with it.

Howard A
--
Powered by SuSE Linux 6.3 -- Kernel 2.2.17
News Reader slrn 0.9.5.7

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Howard Arons)
Subject: PCI/ISA Slots--What?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:06:36 -0000

What are mobo slots designated as "PCI/ISA"? Do they fit and work with
either type of card? Will Linux accept them?

TIA,
Howard A