Linux-Hardware Digest #129, Volume #9             Thu, 7 Jan 99 23:13:32 EST

Contents:
  help with hardware........ ("Andre Antunes")
  Re: PLEASE STOP POSTING REPLIES TO ALL MY POSTS !!! (Warren Mira)
  Re: linux wannabe! (Prasanth Kumar)
  Linux 2.0.36 UDMA on MVP3? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Simple X Windows Question (Scallica)
  settingup cdda2wav, cdrecord  with atapi cd-rw (Paul Maynard)
  Re: Manual Switch boxes, Any hope? (George Bonser)
  Re: Anyone use bellatlantic & Linux? (Frank Hale)
  Re: linux viruses (Andreas Bombe)
  Re: slow system clock ?? (Andreas Bombe)
  Multi Disks as ONE Disk ("Jay Bramble")
  Re: Need for WinModem research? (was: Re: need to take action...) (Phoenix)
  Re: SCSI emulation in Linux (faheem fredericks)
  Re: sound with sharp laptop (Eric Sharkey)
  Re: Multi Disks as ONE Disk (Frank Sweetser)
  More info on Compaq install ("sbarron")
  Re: Internal K56Flex/V.90 internal modems ("Clifton")
  Re: Is the Adaptec 2904 PCI card supported by the aha7xxx driver? (Guenther Wieser)
  Re: Problems with a Matrox card and X. (Ed Bruce)
  Re: Sharing my UMAX Astra 610s scanner w/ UMAX Scan Manager v1.2, using SANE (Redhat
5.2 Linux) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Internal K56Flex/V.90 internal modems (Yan Seiner)
  Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!! ("G.M.Trias")
  printer install (waco)
  Re: Distribution with Voodoo II? ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux with Non Intel ("No Spam Captain_Morgan"@worldnet.att.net)
  X windows off kilter (waco)
  Re: Newbie wants to know if there is a gain in going "all SCSI" (rtp)
  Re: RH 5.0 /  AWE64 gold PnP problems.. (N1ho)
  Re: SCSI AHA-152x and redhat install (Stefano Brozzi)

From: "Andre Antunes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,cern.linux
Subject: help with hardware........
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 00:27:35 -0000

Hi everyone,
I'm new with Linux, and started by instaling Red Hat 5.3.
Everything works except for some of my hardware. It is detected by SaX, but
under KDE I can't put to work/configure.
The hardware is the following:

- Video Highway Extreme  (TV & radio PCI card)
- Zoltrix 33.600 HSP336i  (Winmodem)
- Aztech SC-128 PCI audio card
- Diamond Monster 3d (3DFX card)

If anyone could help configuring these above, it would be excelent, for I
can't work with it so far.
Thanks to all.

--
Andre Antunes

Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:11:47 +0800
From: Warren Mira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PLEASE STOP POSTING REPLIES TO ALL MY POSTS !!!

DG wrote:

> I won't reply to any of your posts under "Want to do direct ..." or
> "please help...", or any of my other posts if you all will stop
> replying first.

duh!

------------------------------

From: Prasanth Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux wannabe!
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 18:49:51 GMT

Gary Momarison wrote:

> "James Barley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > As a newcomer to linux, I've a couple of questions that have I'm sure been
> > asked before, but here goes...
> >
> > Two things I can't get to work, and I miss dearly are my scsi flatbed
> > scanner, (AGFA Snapscan) and my printer (Epson Color 600).
> > I can get some basic ascii text to print but no color or any of the many
> > features the printer is capable of.
> >
> > Any suggestions on what I can do, or where I can look for help, would be
> > helpfull...
> >

> Whould it be helpful to point out your misspelling of helpful?
>
> Look for help in Gary's Encyclopedia at
>
> http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/printing.html
> http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/scanning.html
>
> There's ready help on the Epson 600;
> the scanner might require some digging.
>
> Don't forget Deja News for your FAQ.

Egads! You have quite a bit of imformation in that Encyclopedia of
yours don't you!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux 2.0.36 UDMA on MVP3?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:27:47 GMT

Hello,

I recently upgraded from Linux 2.0.35 to 2.0.36, and, much to my
surprize, MVP3 UDMA isn't supported in this kernel!  Or is it?  I
can't find a single trace of the Jumbo patch in the kernel source.

Can this patch be safely applied to the 2.0.36 kernel?  How do I get
UDMA support with Linux on my MVP3 motherboard?

Thanks for any and all tips, useful URLS and other help.

Charles Wright

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scallica)
Subject: Re: Simple X Windows Question
Date: 8 Jan 1999 00:36:36 GMT

I am using the standard one. I guess it is Fwmg95 or something like that.
Sorry, i am new to this stuff :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Maynard)
Subject: settingup cdda2wav, cdrecord  with atapi cd-rw
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 01:48:56 GMT

i am using suse53 and am trying to setup my cd-rw so i can burn cds and extract
audio. i built a kernel with scsi-emulation, loopback, generic scsi and no atapi
cd-rom.

in my /etc/fstab should my cd-rom be listed as a scsi or ide device? it's listed
as a scsi device but i can successfully mount it as /dev/scd0 and a 2nd cdrom as
/dev/scd1. is this correct behavior?

when i installed cdda2wav the readme.install mentioned that if the system
referred to the generic scsi as sg0, sg1, instead of sga, sgb that i should make
the proper changes and then make the executable. what are the changes that need
to be made?

thanks for any help

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Bonser)
Subject: Re: Manual Switch boxes, Any hope?
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 07:55:43 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <771d3m$tor$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Does any one know a way to get manual switch boxes to work?  So linux won't
> for get that you have a key board and mouse.  I was hoping that there might
> be a suspend program for somthing so that if a device was unplugged and
> plugged back in it would still know that it was there...

I have used such switchboxes with my linux machines for a long time ... no
problems here. I suppose it depends on the quality of the box. If the switch
is "noisy" and causes spikes when it switches, it might bugger something up
but in my case, it worked just fine.

--
George Bonser

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: Anyone use bellatlantic & Linux?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 03:15:28 -0500

You metioned your having trouble getting RH 5.2 to connect to
BellAtlantic well I have bellatlantic internet and RH 5.2 and I have
been connected for the last year using redhat linux. Problem is I
couldn't get the new versions of PPP to connect. I had to downgrade the
package to one that shipped with RH 5.0 powertools I think its version
2.2.0f or something like that. That is the only version that I could get
to connect with Bellatlantic I have no idea what they are doing on there
networks to prevent the new PPP packages from connecting.

It took me about 3 weeks to figure it out and Bellatlantic will not help
you either I found out the hard way. They told me that they don't
support linux and they wouldn't give me any information about IP
addresses or anything that would aid me in connecting with there
service.

From:      Frank Hale
Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage:  http://members.xoom.com/frankhale/
Jade:      http://jade.netpedia.net/

------------------------------

From: Andreas Bombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux viruses
Date: 7 Jan 1999 20:18:16 +0100

Henry Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is good advice, but still not foolproof.

> As for those who say that Linux is not susceptible or that you don't
> need to worry about viruses, that's a very dangerous attitude.

Linux is not susceptible to viruses.  There don't exist any viruses for
Linux.

> LINUX is basically a variant of UNIX.  UNIX has had its share of
> attacks in the past and is likely to continue to be attacked,
> although there is now an unnamed bigger and more attractive target
> now.

> The attacks usually exploit some flaw in the implementation of the OS
> or some program.  The attacks often attempt to become root and
> replace things like the shell or some other program with modified or
> trojan horse programs. With shared libraries, I would imagine that
> that would be a good target.

You are describing trojans, not viruses.  Trojans can't replicate on
their own, and you can't scan for trojans.  The original poster asked
for a virus scanner, and your answer may be confusing.

> Be especially careful of what you run as root.  Running unknown
> programs as root opens your system up without the hacker having to
> figure out how to become root.                    ^^^^^^

Cracker.  Not hacker.
--
Andreas E. Bombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/

PGP 1024bit ID:0x886663c9 fingerprint: 30EC0973847B5583 C47A91D99DC54BB0
    2048bit ID:0xF62D5CC1 fingerprint: 136BBC1536B8B77A 200558E86FAAF8ED

------------------------------

From: Andreas Bombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: slow system clock ??
Date: 7 Jan 1999 20:31:28 +0100

Christian Bauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear Linux Gurus,

> I have an Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 on a Pentium II, 300 MHz machine with an

> ASUS P2L97-Board.

> The system-time in the BIOS is correct, but the System returns always
> the wrong
> time.
> on startup  "date" gives BIOS-Time,
> after 15 seconds "date" just counts five seconds more.
> This means, that my Linux needs three hours for one !!!!
> Is anybody out there how can imagine whats wrong, and what I could
> probably do ???
> (LISA says I have a i686-processor with 299.x Bogo-Mips;
> The KDE-Systeminfo says "unknown Processor")

Probably more interesting would be if that happens only while running
X11 or always and which graphics card you use.  There is a known
problem with XF86-3.3.3 and the Permedia driver.

I heard that on the gnome mailing list, I have no experience with that
(I don't have a Permedia board), so don't ask me.  To quote from the
mailing list:

From: "Jay Bramble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multi Disks as ONE Disk
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:40:38 -0500

I have heard, someone told me or I had a dream, that under Linux, you could
combine 2 or more physical hard disks and make them act as one large disk.
It this true.

If so.  How so???

I have five 1.2 gig SCSI's.  I would like to combine 2 of the SCSI's into
one 2.4 gig drive for my /usr directory.......

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 20:35:17 -0600
From: Phoenix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need for WinModem research? (was: Re: need to take action...)

David Fox wrote:

> d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) writes:
>
> > Norman Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > Now I am new to Linux and have done only a verrrry small amount of C
> > > programming.  Also I have never seen a Win Modem.  Here's my tiny
> > > contribution to start things off.  1) What we have -- It seems to me
> > > that these Win Modems must have some chips on them which can be
> > > recognised.  So Someone must be able to say - roughly - what they
> > > do.  therefore This should give some idea as to the level at which
> > > any code should address the card.  2) Windows The code is written
> > > for x86 processor. It does standard calls to PC hardware (maybe - i
> > > am guessing here ) So dissassembly should point in the right
> > > direction Therefore The brainy Linux guys can do it.  Sorry if this
> > > is really silly but what do you all think?
> >
> > Maybe a really big offer at http://visar.csustan.edu/bazaar/ would
> > help.  Like $10K or $20K.
>
> I'm willing to put up $500 for a freely available Linux driver for
> some popular Winmodem.  This could be done in cooperation with the
> manufacturer and distributed in binary-only form.  I'll put up $800
> for a legal open-source driver.  Not that I want to use it myself, I
> just want to see the issue go away.  Any other pledges out there?
> Lets start a fund.
> --
> David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
> UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

Ill chip in $100 to see it done

------------------------------

From: faheem fredericks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SCSI emulation in Linux
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:24:32 GMT

Doing the SCSI-EMU thing; you need to TURN OFF the IDE_CDROM support=20
in the kernel...

so your CD-R should work but you lose the CDROM... its a pity, but its=20
the way it works; i found...

on the one box where i have a similar setup, (IDE CDROM + IDE CD-R) i=20
have 2 bootkernel options...
one for standard ops & one for CD-burning...

i use XCDroast for all CD-R utilisation & it works well... even with=20
my SCSI-EMU CD-R...

On 1/6/99, 9:01:22 PM, Jeffrey Golds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote=20
regarding SCSI emulation in Linux:

------------------------------

From: Eric Sharkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sound with sharp laptop
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Date: 7 Jan 1999 21:53:45 -0500

Eric Melville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: i'd like to get sound on my sharp laptop which apparently has built in
: sound... unfortunatly i have no idea how to figure out what it is... the
: machine came with a 5x86 processor(that's cyrix isn't it?), 8 mb of ram
: and about a 600 mb hard drive... anyone have any idea what sort of sound
: chips it's got?

It may be a plug and play sound chip.  Most laptops don't have jumpers
inside that need to be changed.  Try using pnpdump to see if it tells you
anything about the card.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multi Disks as ONE Disk
Date: 07 Jan 1999 21:50:10 -0500

"Jay Bramble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have heard, someone told me or I had a dream, that under Linux, you could
> combine 2 or more physical hard disks and make them act as one large disk.
> It this true.
>
> If so.  How so???
>
> I have five 1.2 gig SCSI's.  I would like to combine 2 of the SCSI's into
> one 2.4 gig drive for my /usr directory.......

yup.  compile your kernel with MD (the linux software RAID driver), grab
the md-utils (it's site is listed somewhere in linux/Documentation, IIRC),
read the docs, and go for it.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre3    i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: "sbarron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: More info on Compaq install
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:54:41 -0500

I found out that the SCSI bios of my Compaq Prosiginia VS is an
NCR 53C710. Linux supports the NCR 53C7XX family of SCSI adapters. When I
select this driver during installation it says that it can't find the
device. Are there some options that I need to specify to help Linux find my
SCSI adapter? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

From: "Clifton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internal K56Flex/V.90 internal modems
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:01:21 +0930

External is a no no for me. I don't see the point of a serial card when
internal modems are available. Besides, with an internal modem I don't have
to find another power outlet on the UPS (which I'd need for the external
modem's power supply). Additionaly, the modem MUST support K56Flex. Almost
no ISP in Australia uses x2 broadly, and very few have upgraded to V.90.
Thanks anyway.

------------------------------

From: Guenther Wieser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is the Adaptec 2904 PCI card supported by the aha7xxx driver?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 22:50:47 GMT

Yes, the aha7xxx driver support the 2940 family (not sure for the U2W).

--
                        Günther
Wieser

------------------------------

From: Ed Bruce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with a Matrox card and X.
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 16:51:55 -0600

Jon Gunnar Rue wrote:

> I'm trying to get a Matrox Mystique pci 4 Mb card to work under X. I
> am using MetroX, RedHat 5.1 and KDE.
>
> I use configX to choose the Mtarox Mystique card, then startx and it
> gets black.
>
> Nothing seems to work, it just hangs on a dark screen. Only option is
> to use ctrl+alt+del to reboot.

I'm sorry I don't remember how I solved it, but I had the same problem
when I installed 5.1 (I also have a Mystique). I believe that there is
another program that will configure x besides configX and I ran it and
then everything worked. Or I modified the files by hand. Sorry I just
don't remember, but it was easy to fix. I just kept making simple
changes and retrying.

I know this isn't much help, but keep trying. I know it can be
frustrating, but X works great with your Mystique. Just keep trying. If
you want send email to my home at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I'll send
you a copy of my config files.

later,
Ed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Sharing my UMAX Astra 610s scanner w/ UMAX Scan Manager v1.2, using SANE
(Redhat 5.2 Linux)
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 13:04:10 GMT

In article <01be3a0b$ac2a7ef0$0200a8c0@mycompnt>,
  "USB Port" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Doesn't anyone know the answer to this?
>
> SCSI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
> <01be3366$1f4244b0$0200a8c0@mycompnt>...
> > How do I get SANE on my Linux workstation to be configured to use my UMAX
> > Astra 610s over the network when it is being served by the UMAX Scan
> > Manager v1.2 (part of VistaScan v3.1)?
> >
> > THIS TOPIC HAS STUMPED ME FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW, AND THE SANE
> > DOCUMENTATION SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THIS.
> >
> > How can it be done?

USB Port (or SCSI, or whatever your name is today),

Didn't you get my answer?
http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=427543589

If you include your username @san.rr.com in a post,
or reply by e-mail to me, I'll elaborate. Are you
a programmer?

Roy

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 20:55:22 -0500

I use externals at work simply because of debugging.  I can see the lights
across the room.  I use an internal at home because it takes up no room.

If you must have K56flex, then the hayes is a good choice.  I'm guessing the
performance difference is because my ISP has USR modems, and while they all run
V.90, apparently not all v.90 is not equal.  I suggest you also get iwth your
ISP, and find out what brand of modem they use.

Yan

------------------------------

From: "G.M.Trias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!!
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 19:04:25 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> FTP INSTALL FINALLY WORKED THANKS TO CROSSBONES !!!
> Well, except for me and Crossbones, all of you are none more than
> f****** idiots. But it's been fun insulting everyone one of you, who
> were against me, in this newsgroup. In fact, when you look at the
> thread(s), it probably reminds you of Jerry Springer. Now I did not ask
> for this, you all forced me into it, so don't even f****** blame me !!!
> Anyway, it was fun fighting like in the Springer shows but I gotta go
> now, so
> GOOD-BYE TO ALL YOU MENTALLY RETARDED IDIOTS OUT THERE WHO CAN'T BE HELPFUL THE WAY
>I WANT IT !!!

Did you forget your medicine today?

------------------------------

From: waco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printer install
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 22:12:02 -0500

Any recommended settings for Brother HL730 Laser?

thx

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Distribution with Voodoo II?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 21:10:32 -0600

Dominique Javet wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie with Linux, but I'll try it and I don't know what kind of
> diistribution I must choose.
> Here my PC hardware:
> PII 350 128mb with a video Rage Pro 8mb ATI 3D DAC card, 3DFX Voodoo II 12mb
> Creative, Soundblaster Live Full version, Zip internal, CD
> What kind of distribution goes well with my configuration (SUSE 6.0 don't
> support the Voodoo II card)?

Whichever distribution you use, your Voodoo II is going to be a special
situation.  Go ahead and get your system working with everything else, then
consult the following resources regarding your Voodoo II:

Web page - http://glide.xxedgexx.com/

Newsgroup - 3dfx.glide.linux (the news server is news.3dfx.com)

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "No Spam Captain_Morgan"@worldnet.att.net
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Linux with Non Intel
Date: 8 Jan 1999 02:41:17 GMT

I have Red Hat ver 5.1.  Can anyone tell me if it will work on a non
Intel processor such as an AMD K6-2 or a Ciryx?

------------------------------

From: waco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X windows off kilter
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 22:17:03 -0500

Hi

I am running a dual OS config with W95 on hda1 and SUSE 5.3 on hda3

When I boot W95 the screen is perfectly centred etc. looks like it
should.

When I boot Linux, in console mode = normal view.

When I start X windows,  my Desktop is to the right about an inch and up
too high about 1/2 inch.  I can manually center it with my moniter
settings, but that messes up my W95 screen.  My W95 display driver has
no adjustment sliders.

With SAX I configure the screen straight,  but as soon as I reboot X
Windows all is off kilter again....

Any ideas?

Thx

W,

------------------------------

From: rtp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie wants to know if there is a gain in going "all SCSI"
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 02:20:08 -0600

Gary Momarison wrote:

> chipins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I am getting my first Intel-based desktop built.  It will be a home
> > workstation for fortran/perl hacking, browsing etc.  and use a 300 Mhz
> > Intel or clone (probably clone.)
>
> Good idea. Clones work well, are a better value, and encourage Intel
> to lower prices some more.  Although, if you're going to crunch a whole
> lot of numbers with that FORTRAN, throw out the value argument, since
> Intel does FP faster per clock cycle. Then the value is about equal.
> There's a ton of web sites to check this out.
>
> > It will be Linux only, and I want to to do tape backups, so I am
> > ordering a TR-4 drive and a SCSI controller.  (From reading the
> > hardware compatibility docs, it sounds like SCSI is the most solid way
> > to go for tape backup from Linux.)
>
> Good. But I think there are ATAPI TR-4's that should work well (since
> ATAPI disks do), but I've not seen comments about it either way.
>
> > However I was just going to get standard ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM and Hard
> > Drive, as these things seem to be so cheap these days.
> >
> > So I then got to thinking ....  since I will have a SCSI controller
> > for my tape drive, is it worth going all SCSI (hard drive and CD-ROM)?
> > I guess it will cost me a bit extra in drives and cabling, but will
> > I notice a benefit ?  Are there any losses or disadvantages apart from
> > cost?
>
> SCSI disk people seem (just my impression) to have more problems getting
> Linux to install, but it's usually just a matter of time, so shouldn't
> be very important in your case.
>
> Top-end SCSI stuff would be faster than top-end other stuff, but few
> think it's significant, unless you've got lots of things using multiple
> disks like on a network server.  There's probably better things to
> spend the money on.

I run two scsi cards, one for my hard drive[s] one for the slower tape
machine. I can't tell you the specs but a slower device will compromise the
performance of other devices on the chain. Thus, my cheetah hard drive is
on it's own controller and my HP tape machine is on it's own controller.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (N1ho)
Subject: Re: RH 5.0 /  AWE64 gold PnP problems..
Date: 8 Jan 1999 03:52:40 GMT

You might want to get yourself a 2.2.0pre* kernel and read the documentation in
there. There is fairly good support for the AWE64 in there, but it's a bit
tricky to set up. There was no support in the 2.0 kernels except as an AWE32.
If you do opt for 2.2.0pre*, you will need to go in and edit
drivers/sound/lowlevel/awe_config.h to uncomment the line about the register at
0x620 as well as the line immediately underneath it about the onboard memory.
Then, since you have a Gold card, you need to delete the '512' and insert
'4096' since the Gold card has 4M of memory.
======
If you send me spam (except for Hormel products), be aware that I'll simply
forward
it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  and let AOL's legal team handle it as they see fit.

------------------------------

From: Stefano Brozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: SCSI AHA-152x and redhat install
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 12:26:54 +0100

Craig Copelin wrote:

> I have a 486 that I am attempting to install redhat 5.1 on.  My problem is
> that the install program hangs on the SCSI initialization step of install.
> I pass the kernel the parameters
>
> aha152x=0x340,11,7
>
> at the point it asks for them, then it just sits and spins the cdrom, which
> was succesfully detected earlier.  Is there something more I should be
> doing?
>
> I find it interesting that the SCSI HDD LED comes on durng the
> initialization of the CD ROM.
>
> Any help is apreciated.
>
> craig

ok, any help, you said

I've the same scsi card.
I had the same parameters (0x340,11,7), and worked correctly
under win95 for a while.
When I decided to switch to linux I had many headaches for 2 or 3 days.
I was totally unable to have the card recognized (Rh 5.2!) during setup,
and even with a 2.1.131 kernel built up by me.options aha152x
Maybe I was missing something, but I decided to change the jumper
settings of my card.
My second try was 0x140,12,5 and everything worked fine.
As you see, this is not a good solution, but it works for me.

Feel free to email me if you think I could help you