Linux-Hardware Digest #151, Volume #14            Tue, 9 Jan 01 13:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Ehternet Pro 100 rev8 SMP don't work after boot ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Ehternet Pro 100 rev8 SMP don't work after boot ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Ehternet Pro 100 rev8 SMP don't work after boot ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  [Q] Problems with Flash Memory Card with PCMCIA-Adapter (Andre Betz)
  Re: SGI 1600SW flat panel display / 3Dlabs VX1-1600SW / Linux / IV-FP (Bryce Nesbitt)
  Re: SCSI HDD very slow. (freedman)
  geforce 2 mx under latest xserver (Jan Schneider)
  Working with two keyboards locally (Console) (Mario Lang)
  RedHat7 / Dynalink IS128PH ISDN (Edwin van Geelen)
  Re: Adaptec AAA-13xU2 drivers ("Joe Fahy")
  new scsi card: now cant boot from original drive on udma66 card
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Configuring 2 NIC cards (Allen Mcintosh)
  Re: new scsi card: now cant boot from original drive on udma66 card (MudShark)
  VIA KT133A support? (Mikael Pettersson)
  Linux and asuscom pci isdn???!??? (Petri Kajander)
  Re: vodoo tv (Jim McDonald)
  Re: Trouble configuring NVIDIA GForce2 + Samsung 19" 950p monitor (Staffan Emren)
  Re: Help! I lost 128MB :) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Install on Compaq Proliant 1500? ("William R. Lorenz")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Ehternet Pro 100 rev8 SMP don't work after boot
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 13:49:23 GMT

I'm using a Ethernet Pro 100 rev 8 (reported by
kernel 2.4)
which doesn't work on my dual processor (PIII 800)
system (with mem=1GB) after reboot (SuSE 7.0) all
configuration looks good (eth0 up and routes
correct) but the card don't send or receives
anything. After doing a init 1 and init 2
everything is working great.
Has someone an idea what 's going wrong?
Thanks in advance!
Helmut

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Andre Betz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] Problems with Flash Memory Card with PCMCIA-Adapter
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 15:34:01 +0100

Hi,

I have a PCMCIA-Adapter for my compact Flash Card (8MB and 32MB), which
I use for my Canon Powershot A5 and I don't know how to mount it. I have
Suse 6.4. installed and "cardctl ident" puts out following

Socket 0:
  product info: "LASAT COMMUNICATIONS A/S", "LASAT CREDIT 336"
  manfid: 0x0134, 0x3611
  function: 2 (serial)
Socket 1:
  product info: "SunDisk", "SDP", "5/3 0.6"
  manfid: 0x0045, 0x0401
  function: 4 (fixed disk)

the module ide_cs is also loaded.

Further I got these failure in /var/log/messages

Thank you for answeringJan  8 20:42:53 linux cardmgr[70]: initializing
socket 1
Jan  8 20:42:53 linux cardmgr[70]: socket 1: ATA/IDE Fixed Disk
Jan  8 20:42:53 linux cardmgr[70]: executing: 'insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.14/pcmcia/ide_cs.o'
Jan  8 20:42:55 linux kernel: ide_cs: ide_register() at 0x110 & 0x11e,
irq 5 failed
Jan  8 20:42:55 linux pppd[273]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x5
magic=0x5ad8cf1a]
Jan  8 20:42:55 linux pppd[273]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x5 magic=0x0]
Jan  8 20:42:56 linux cardmgr[70]: get dev info on socket 1 failed:
Resource temporarily unavailable

So what and where I should make some changes to fix this and what I
should mount?
Thank you
Andre Betz

please mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryce Nesbitt)
Subject: Re: SGI 1600SW flat panel display / 3Dlabs VX1-1600SW / Linux / IV-FP
Date: 9 Jan 2001 06:42:44 -0800

Fromm: "Sean Huang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>        Subject: SGI 1600SW flat panel display
>
>        I have a SGI1600Sw flat panel display that I would like to use under Linux.
>Does
>        anybody know which graphics card I should get to make use of its native
>        resolution of 1600x1024? From what I read on XFree86.org, Number Nine
>Revolution
>        IV FP is only supported under Ver3.3.6. Matrox G400/DFP daughter board has a
>        Beta Linux driver but it is not clear if it supports SGI 1600SW's native
>        resolution. I'm not sure if Oxygen VX1-1600SW is supported under Linux.
>
>        TIA,
>
>        Sean

A very nice monitor indeed!  I've got one on Linux right here, it works great, proper
drivers were just released.  It works great as a widescreen monitor for DVD playback,
and it remains the brightest, best, sharpest, and most stylish monitor out there.
Having two full width side-by-side pages is wonderful!

You have three options for driving the monitor under Linux
Number Nine IV-FP driver support has just been ported to XFree version 4.  But those
cards
are rare, and prices on eBay are rather high.  Number Nine is now out of business, so
SGI
switched to production to 3DLabs.

The new 3DLabs Oxygen VX1-1600SW PCI video card works under Linux.  This connects
directly to the
SGI flatpanel (via OpenLDI / LVDS digital).  You need the commercial driver from:
        http://www.xigraphics.com/Pages/HotNewsPage.html
The only major problem I have with the driver is a lack of backlight control.

If you have the SGI MultiLink adapter (which converts VGA / DVI / DFP to the 1600SW
flatpanel)
a number of VGA cards will work under Linux.  You just need a modeline for the
XF86Config
file to output the right 1600x1024 pixel horizontal and vertical sync information.
Hopefully
more people will send proper modelines to the XF86 maintainers.

                -Bryce Nesbitt
                 bryce !@! obviously.com

PS: Price on the SuperWide LCD monitor is now $1495, see http://www.sgi.com/flatpanel/
,
including the 3DLabs Oxygen VX1-1600SW video card.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (freedman)
Subject: Re: SCSI HDD very slow.
Date: 9 Jan 2001 15:00:20 GMT

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:47:43 GMT, Dan White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <Xoi66.712$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "David Nunn"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I  was given a Pentium 100 machine with a SCSI Hdd. It was running
>> Windiws
>> 94, then I put NT 4 on, no probs. But...
>>
>> I low level formatted the drive, and now it's not really doing much at
>> all. I have tried installing W94, NT4, and at present RH 6.2 has been
>> sitting for
>> 20 minutes on the blue screen that comes up after the kernel is loaded.
>> It
>> has asked for Drivers, and I have selected my SCSI adaptor, and I can
>> hear some action (not much) going on in the HDD, but this is ridiculous.
>> There is not much on installing at all.
>>
>> Any ideas as to just what I've fscked up this time? I'd really like to
>> get Debian on this machine soon.
>>
>> David
>
>What SCSI controller do you have? Sometimes you have to tweak the
>"synchronous transfers frequency in MHz", like with the SYM53C8XX
>driver. For Debian, you can drop in a new kernel by mounting the rescue
>disk (DOS filesystem) and copying the kernel as linux, then running the
>rdev.sh script.
>
>- Dan White

What did you use to do the low level format)  I have (successfullyO done
a low level format of the subject drive using the format option of the
bios on a 1542CF.  Use the dip switches on the 1540 to enable the bios,
boot,  and you should be asked if you want to enter the adaptec setup.
--
Dick Freedman

------------------------------

From: Jan Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: geforce 2 mx under latest xserver
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 18:18:20 +0100

Hi,

I've got a Geforce 2 MX graphics card. UNfortunately there are no
drivers available under Linux for this card. Does anybody know, how to
get the X-Server running anyway or where to find drivers for this card?

The latest drivers available from Nvidia do not yet support the Geforce
2 MX though every other Nvidia board is being supported.

Thx for advice

Jan

------------------------------

Subject: Working with two keyboards locally (Console)
From: Mario Lang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 15:22:45 GMT

Hello.

Does anyone know a way how I can get two keyboards working.
Each on a separate virutal console. E.g. my ps/2 one on the
current VC; and e.g. a USB one on tty4 (just an example).

I am running Emacspeak which is a speech output system for emacs.
As it produces speech, it is perfectly enough to have
it run on a console and talk through /dev/dsp.
If two keyboards, I could work with Emacspeak and another text console
without needing to switch consoles everytime I want
to give Emacspeak a new command.

Any ideas?

--
CYa,
   Mario <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin van Geelen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RedHat7 / Dynalink IS128PH ISDN
Date: 9 Jan 2001 15:55:08 GMT

Hi,

I've just installed RedHat 7 and now want to configure ISDN for use with my
Dynalink IS128PH card. It's not in the list isdn-config list. Does anyone have
experience installing this card? Any examples maybe?

Regards,
Edwin

------------------------------

From: "Joe Fahy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec AAA-13xU2 drivers
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:12:53 -0500

Hi Jurriaan

Thanks for responding.  Oh well.....

Could you tell me where /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.aic7xxx  is at?
I now need to find a scsi U2W (lvd) raid card.  Can you suggest what is the
best bang for the dollar?

Thanks
Joe Fahy

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: new scsi card: now cant boot from original drive on udma66 card
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:29:25 GMT

Hi there,
I've just installed a scsi card (Adaptec 29160) in a box that used to
boot from an IDE drive on a Promise Ultra66 PCI card. Now I get a kernel
panic. Is the scsi card somehow hiding it? The system boots win98. I am
using RH6.2 and I know I didn't install SCSI options when I installed RH.
Should I install the drivers before installing the hardware or is there
some other problem?

Thanks,
Andrew

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Configuring 2 NIC cards
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Mcintosh)
Date: 9 Jan 2001 11:39:33 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Marc Pestana  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've been told by DELL support engineers that LINUX has trouble with
>multiple NIC cards.

Not from where I sit (this is a Dell)

$ cat /etc/conf.modules
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 3c59x
alias eth2 eepro100
alias eth3 eepro100
alias eth4 eepro100
alias eth5 tulip
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

>Now, I keep getting an "irq_parm" error from the eepro100 module.

More information would be useful.  What output do you see from lspci?  dmesg?
What is in /etc/conf.modules (or modules.conf)?  Which kernel are you running?
Which driver?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MudShark)
Date: 9 Jan 2001 11:04:10 -0600

The problem may have to do with the ording of the
drives.  If your root partition has changed (ie.
from /dev/hda2 to /dev/hdb2) then that could cause
the problem.  You could use one of the old RedHat
boot/rook disk combos, to figure out where your
root partition is, and fix lilo.conf from there.

------------------------------

Subject: VIA KT133A support?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mikael Pettersson)
Date: 9 Jan 2001 18:18:49 +0100

Has anyone tested any recent linux kernel (2.4 or 2.2 + ide patches)
on a VIA KT133A-based mainboard? Any horror stories?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an ASUS A7V (KT133 + Promise ATA100
controller) now or wait for the A7V133 (KT133A w. FSB 200/266 and
ATA100 support). Alternatively, I might buy an ABIT KT7A now, but
I have more confidence in ASUS. This will be for a non-overclocked
server/development machine.

/Mikael
--
Mikael Pettersson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

------------------------------

From: Petri Kajander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and asuscom pci isdn???!???
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 19:34:04 +0200

NEED HELP!
Well First i hv this asuscom pci isdn card p-in100-st-d and i dont know
how to install it!
My linux is Best linux 2000  (sot), etc...
Really, i hardly get that linux installed so dont reply like: Install
isdn4linux etc....
I Hv installed that isdn... and asucom isdn linux driver... But just
wont work... what am i doing wrong? or... what i really need is like
howto install asuscom isdn for linux step by step... So i would be
grateful if somebody would help me!
Greeting: Petri Kajander
PS. Replys to mail pls! [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jim McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: vodoo tv
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 09:50:02 -0800

https://sourceforge.net/projects/v3tv/

--
Jim McDonald
htttp://www.stanford.edu/~mcduck

------------------------------

From: Staffan Emren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble configuring NVIDIA GForce2 + Samsung 19" 950p monitor
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:03:06 +0100

"Henry S. Greenside" wrote:

> I have a 19" Samsung 950p monitor that I am trying to get
> working with a 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS card on a RH 7.0
> Linux system. I have installed the latest NVIDIA drivers and
> XFree86 and Xconfigurator recognized both the card and the
> monitor. I was able to get everything working nicely at
> 1024x768x16 but could not get the monitor to work at the
> desired resolution of 1280x1024x32, the machine produces a
> dark screen and I have to reboot the computer. So somehow
> XConfigurator produces a bad file for the desired
> resolution.
>
> How do I go about getting this card and monitor to work at
> 1280x1024x32?
>
>         Thanks,
>
>         Henry

Try "startx 2>/var/log/xlog" and examine the outut to find out what
frequencies the x-server is trying to use, or if there are any other
hints to what is not working.

I had a similar problem with RH 6.2 and an ADi E75 screen, it turned out
the x-server was giving a frequency just outside of the allowable range
for this monitor. After editing the /etc/X11/XF86Config file I got it
working at the desired resolution. Unfortunately I don't remember the
details, and now I have upgraded to 7.0.

Best regards
Staffan Emren

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help! I lost 128MB :)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:47:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Michael Brown wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > In my system I have the current memory configuration:
> >   Slot1 : 64MB PC100
> >   Slot2 : 64MB PC133
> >   Slot3 : 64MB PC133
> > And no more slots left. Under the BIOS/Win95/NT/2000/MemTest I have
184MB
> > (192 - 8 for onboard video) and everything works real nice.
> >
> > Under Linux (Slackware Potato, Kernel 2.2.17) it says I have ~ 62 MB
> > (65781760 bytes to be precise) of RAM! Prior to sticking in the two
PC133s
> > it correctly reported as 56MB of RAM.
> >
> > What's going on here?
> >
> > The rest of my computer is:
> > CPU : K6-2 400
> > M/B : Jetway 530BF (SiS 530 chipset)
> > HDD and other stuff
> >

> This has been reported many times:
>
> append = "mem=192M"
>
> put that line in your lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo, should fix the
> problem

You must reserve 8MB off the top for the onboard video so:

append = "mem=184M"

Bluster

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "William R. Lorenz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.madrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Install on Compaq Proliant 1500?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 18:07:14 GMT

"Steve Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Attempting to install Mandrake on a Compaq Proliant 1500.  System is
> Dual P-166, 64 Meg Ram, has the Compaq Raid Controller, SMARTRaid
> installed, and an Adaptec 1540 SCSI Controller hooked to the CD.
>     Trouble is, the system upon install can see only ONE, either the
> SCSI Card, (the adaptec), or the RAID controller.
>     The system currently is running UnixWare 2.1.3, with no problems,
> but I would really like to upgrade to Mandrake.
>     Any help at all?  Or should I stick with UnixWare?

Install Mandrake with the RAID controller in the machine and then boot into
Linux and add the Adaptec controller afterwards.  This should allow you to
install Mandrake with ease and then get both cards working at the same time.

--
William R. Lorenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :: Pantek, Incorporated
http://www.pantek.com/ or Toll Free at 1-877-LINUX-FIX