From: Richard Lyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I make my own file server rack?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:58:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I want to make an array of file servers
> for my home.  One way I'm considering
> going about it is purchasing
> several motherboards and power supplies
> hooking them up together.  Should I use
> standard enclosures and just stack them?
> Are enclosures available that hold
> multiple motherboards?
>
> Can I make my own enclosure out of wood?
> Would this be a fire hazard?
> What about RF interference, would this cause
> a problem without a grounded metal enclosure?

Your last statement is the key.  You should use an approved enclosure
for the system due to the RF.  Depending on the number of boards you
want to use there might be a single enclusure that has the capability.
One of my stacks here at work is a shelf assy with all of my mid-towers
set on it, and a video switch to use a single monitor and keyboard for
the PC's.  It is not a true rack, but a $70 enclosure for each unit and
$120 for a switch seemed a reasonable choice for a quick installation.

--
Good luck
Richard Lyon

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Roel Korporaal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: driver for the ati rage 128 xpert card
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:08:00 +0100

Hello,

Is there already a driver for the ati rage 128 xpert card available?
Please let me know if there is.
my linux version is redhat 5.2

thanks for replay.

Roel.

------------------------------

From: Karel Venken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up my CDWriter
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:32:25 GMT

I have the same problem. My HP8250i is connected to /dev/hdc. I have loaded
ide-scsi and loop module as explained in the HOW-TO,

Module                  Size  Used by
loop                    7344   0  (unused)
ide-cd                 21428   0
sr_mod                 15820   0  (unused)
ide-scsi                6556   0
sg                     11288   0  (unused)
3c503                   5064   1  (autoclean)
8390                    5732   0  (autoclean) [3c503]
serial                 41940   0  (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1           2024   5  (autoclean)

I can make a cdimage, test it through the loopback

but cdrecord -scanbus still gives an error :

Cdrecord release 1.8a22 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

What do I need to do more. The HOW-TO does not tell me...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: um...Does this modem work with linux?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:29:04 GMT

> I just brought a new modem, U.S. Robotics 56K Internet Call Modem,
Model
> No. USR5695.
>
> It doesnt say it has anything about supporting Linux, but maybe at
least
> 3Com has a driver for it, or maybe it can be auto detected, My old
modem,
> It is auto detected, but it is a Win Modem, and the linux i had was
> Winlinux 2000. and I knew that win modem will not work one way or the
> other. can anyone give me any idea on this modem?

     There should be no problem with using the US robotics internet Call
modem within Linux. 3com has many different Linux drivers depending on
the distribution of Linux you are using.

--
Tim Coble
Support provided by Linuxgruven, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "HOLY SHIT!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Jan 2001 22:00:02 GMT

sorry, i forgot, this is a faxmodem

news:lRG96.33934$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Memory Issue with RH 6.2
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:52:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Phil =?iso-8859-1?Q?McCrackin=5BAGQx=5D=AE?=
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have an FIC VB-601 motherboard (I know, I could have picked better
but
> it's an extra) and 384 MB RAM powered by a P-II 450.  When I load RH
6.2
> it only see's 64MB RAM, I loaded Win2Ghey just to see if it was the
RAM
> and Micro$haft saw all 384 MB.
>
> I was hoping someone has seen this before and could help me out, as I
do
> not wish to run Win2Ghey on this machine, I was hoping to run RH 6.2
for
> Apache and some POP3 services...
>
> TIA
>
> pF.Phil McCrackin
> Please remove "YOURACE" before replying

You should be able to solve this problem 1 of 2 ways,
first you can add a kernel option: mem=384meg
second edit your lilo.conf with 'append="mem=384meg"'

From: "HOLY SHIT!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Jan 2001 22:01:24 GMT

CBFalconer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jonathan Paul wrote:
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I just brought a new modem, U.S. Robotics 56K Internet Call Modem,
Model
> > > No. USR5695.
> > >
> > > It doesnt say it has anything about supporting Linux, but maybe at
least
> > > 3Com has a driver for it, or maybe it can be auto detected, My old
modem,
> > > It is auto detected, but it is a Win Modem, and the linux i had was
> > > Winlinux 2000. and I knew that win modem will not work one way or the
> > > other. can anyone give me any idea on this modem?
> >
> > Linux has never and will never support winmodems ( or so I've heard) the
> > reason why is becuse they rely completly on the processor to do what a
real
> > modem's hardware is supposed to do and linux dudes have a stygmatizm
with
> > throwing away processor time...... duhh ya i know i can;t spell ;)
>
> That is NOT the reason - the reason is that the crippled modem
> manufacturers often consider their interface to be proprietary,
> and refuse to publicize it.  Without data as to bit patterns,
> timing requirements, whatnot it is hard to write a driver.
>
> To me, selling something without the information needed to use it
> is extremely unethical, and possibly even violates some law or
> other.

idont know much about laws, but i heard some people have modems that is not
said it works with linux, but it does

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winmodem Question for Winlinux 2000
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:30:07 -0000

Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> :> The answer is: you need a driver. If there is one, OK, if not, no go.
> :> Search for linux+winmodem on the web, and go to gromit's pages.
>
> : it does auto detections, and it has been detected, but even a device
that

> I don't understand what you mean. What has "auto-detection" got to do
> with "search for linux+winmodem" on the net? Go look and see if there
> is a driver for your modem! Go to the page I indicated. Is that clear
> enough?

my winlinux 2k had a configuration thingy under windows, my winmodem is
auto detected

> : is detected, i dont know if it will work automaticly like win2k, and
win

> And I have no idea what you mean! Please just do as you are advised.
> Then you'll get an idea, and hence have nothing to growl about. Here:

win2k dont need any hardware drivers for most hardwares to be use, not like
the other windows os, when you need to install the drivers

From: b <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: server crashing
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:40:51 +0800

yes i have my whole room on ups

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Replaced harddrive, need to copy system over - how?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:53:18 -0800

Thanks,  I didn't think to look for the howto.  It was late.  Everything is
working fine.  The kids now have the old one.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Brian Duke <bduke@hotel#tools.com>
Subject: Neoware 5BLMP motherboard
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:00:00 -0500

Does anyone know where to get the motherboard and possibly the case
found in the Neoware computer? I'd love to have one of these units to
make an MP3 system with, but can't justify the $600 Neoware is
charging for them. We have one at work we bought for eval and the only
markings on the mobo are MB-5BLMP.

Thanks,
- Brian

(Be sure to remove the # symbol before replying to my email address)

------------------------------

From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BP6 ATA66 Crashing System
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:56:13 -0500

Adam Becker wrote:

> Hello all,
> Several months ago, I upgraded my system to 2.2.16 with the ATA66 patch.
> The system recognized my 2 drives on the ide2 & ide3 but I started
> getting
> system crashes in the middle of the nite, with cpu load quit low.  The
> system worked fine when I used the ide2&3 in ata33 mode with an
> append=ide2... line in lilo.
>
> I found the following messages in the /var/log/messages:
> Jan 16 18:46:47 gandalf kernel: ide_dmaproc: chipset supported
> ide_dma_lostirq func only: 11
> Jan 16 18:46:47 gandalf kernel: hdg: lost interrupt
>
> This seems to occur whenever I have heavey disk access, IRQ 11 is the
> htp366 interupt.
>
> I then upgraded the bios for the BP6 to the NJ version, but the system
> is still crashing.

<snip>

I've had the exact same thing happen with a dual celeron abit bp6 with
the original gentus linux and anything I've compiled since.  Short
answer is hpt 366 is garbage.  Get an ata pci card.  Not a lockup since
I installed it.  I think it was freezing during the slocate (updatedb)
cron job.  That's the only rigorous thing that happens after I log off.

I was (am?) using the RU BIOS and have been all along.  I did not bother
testing the hpt controller in dma33 mode.  You can probably buy a
Promise card for $30 - 40.00.  I notice Abit stopped using the hpt
controller in recent releases.

--
Rinaldi]$
"Defeat may serve as well as victory, to shake the soul and let the

------------------------------

From: "fifthcent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: odoo3
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:12:02 GMT

There is a sourceforge project working on it....
http://v3tv.sourceforge.net

I haven't gotten it to work with my card yet, but then again i haven't
put a whole lot of effort into it :-d

------------------------------

From: Karen Chancellor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netgear 311 filters
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:25:00 GMT

Does anyone have either a Netgear RT311 or RT314 router?
I am having trouble configuring the filter sets. In particular, I can't
block access to the router configuration via telnet. I have read the
entire manual, and Netgear technical support will not give support for
filters.
Any help appreciated. If you could also e-mail me directly, I would
appreciate that.
Thanks.
Karen

--
._  __.  ...._  _._.  _._.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Jones)
Subject: CD-RW info and recommemdations needed
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:51:01 GMT

My HD is nearly full and Ineed to buy a CD-RW to archive files and
free up disk space.  I've spent most of the afternoon reviewing a
years worth of related messages here, and browsing the WWW, but I
found more questions than answers.

I have a BP6 with dual Celeron 300A (can do 450 when needed). This
means I can have up to 8 IDE devices using the HTP 366.  The 366 has
questionable stabillity, and I currently have 3 IDE HDs and a CD-ROM
on the other IDE controller.  I have an Adaptec 2906 working well with
my SCSI Zip drive.  I use LInux (currently Mandrake 7.0), W98 and
DOS/W3.1.

My preference is to use good low cost IDE HDs and use SCSI for all (or
most) of the other devices.  However, my observation is that
manufacturers are only developing and marketing expensive high end
SCSI devices and low cost IDE units, so I may have to bail on my
scuzzy philosphy.  I have been looking at the Plexwriter 12/10/32s,
but that will cost around $300.  $300 could buy me a good video card,
sound card, and a cheap CD-RW or HD.

What is BurnProof technology.  Yes, I know it is firmware that
prevents problems with buffer underrun.  But what is it that requires
licencing from Sanyo?  Why don't all units have thier own software
that does the same thing?    What about Just Link?   I read that
TOWERS is a professional bruning system that will not use BurnProof,
so large buffers are still needed.   So I guess CD-RW utility software
has somthing to do with the use of BurnProof.  Does Linux software
make use of BurnProof?  Is it just a waste of money to buy a recent
drive with BurnProof technolgy?  (Buffer under run should be less of a
problem with Linux on on dual CPU system, especially with SCSI.)

About a year ago someone in this NG recommended TEAC because they
bypass safedisk anticopying in some units.  There seems to rats nest
of anticopying stuff.  Is this a concern at all?  I'm not interested
in pirating CDs.

There are numerous reports in this NG of problems, coasters, etc., and
also good results with a variety of drives.  So what's the bottom
line?  Should I buy the Plexwriter 12/10/32s, a cheap SCSI unit (???),
a good IDE unit, or a cheap IDE unit?  Which one and why?

Alan Jones

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Multiple SCSI controllers?
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Jan 2001 20:09:38 -0500

Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a customer who wants a (Athlon-based) machine with four SCSI
> controllers, one for each hard drive.  He thinks it will make for a
> faster system.  I'm not even sure if it would work (BIOS/driver
> conflicts?), much less be faster.  Has anyone heard of such a thing?

See other responses about multiple devices on a scsi stream.  I don't see why 4
scsi devices wouldn't work (assuming they are PCI), I've been running at least
3 scsi adapters (Adaptec and NCR/Symbios/LSI Logic in my machines for 3 years
now).  My current setup has an Adaptec 7890 builtin to the motherboard that has
3 ultra2 drives on it, TekRam DC-390F that has a CR-R, 2 ultra drives, and a
DAT tape drive, and an Adaptec 2930U that has a scanner on it.

Note, 2.4 changes the order in which is considers which scsi adapter is the
first adapter, which might need some finessing when you move up to that
release, particularly if you have scsi adapters that use different drivers.
What I do is build the drivers for the TekRam as modular drivers, and build the
Adpatec drivers into the kernel, so the first driver it encounters is an
Adaptec.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304