From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Lance Ethernet Driver Problem
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:24:36 GMT

Does anybody know if there is a known problem with lance.o (driver for
AMD Ethernet chip) under kernel 2.4.0?

It worked fine under 2.2.14, but it doesn't work under 2.4

Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "TCP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problems accessing "X"
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:46:53 GMT

Ok, So I am a newbie.  I am sorry to say that I am just now getting into the
whole Linux thing.  I have just installed Linux Mandrake 7.2 on a:
IBM Aptiva
pentium 166
48 MB ram
ATI Mach 64 Rage Video card
3.02 Gb hard drive

I currently have Windows ME installed on C:
and installed Mandrake on my 2nd partition D:

Did a customize install - install was succesful.  I configured X on my own
to include
my video card - monitors horizontal and Vert. Synch range 30-69 and 50-120
respectively.

I log in as root - type startx
and black screen, everytime.  I have gone into XF86Config several times and
re-set up my setting through there and still black screen.
Is there any help out there?  I desperately need it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Harkins)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.embedded,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Which method is right for me?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:54:03 GMT

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:04:05 +0900, "Ho-il, Kang"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>sorry my poor english.

Not bad, actually.  Hell of a lot better than my second language
(uhhh, is pig latin a language? :)

>I must use special multi-function video board on linux/X-Window
>environment.
>It have follow functions.
<snip>

Sounds like an ATI card.  ATI doesn't like to support Linux.  If it
doesn't have a theater chip I think you'll find a driver that does
what you want to run X.  If you want to do video capture then I don't
know, I just run X.  Have you tried running a Red Hat install and
letting it guess the card?  I dunno what program Red Hat uses for
probing, but it's probably part of the Xfree86 distro.

If all else fails, and if you're not really motivated, and you want
better than VGA under X, then I'd bite the bullet and buy a supported
video card.  Otherwise go to the XFree86 website (www.xfree86.org) and
send them mail asking how you can help.

jim

------------------------------

From: "ceri hankey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Has anybody found a driver for ISDN modems via USB?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:00:54 +0100

I have an Elsa MicroLink ISDN 'modem' that connects fine to my Windows 2000
system.

Has anybody found a driver for USB ISDN modems?

Regards

Ceri Hankey

------------------------------

From: Rich Carreiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Is there support for integrated sound and video?
Date: 18 Jan 2001 20:58:44 -0500

I'm looking to at long last replace my 5.7 year old Pentium 100 with
something a bit newer.  I still plan for it to be relatively low-end
(Celeron or Duron) because it'll be sitting in Linux virtually all the
time serving as a mail/news/ssh/etc server.  I'll be spending more
real money on a flashy Windoze box for finance, gaming, and web
surfing.

I see that places like MicroCenter and Staples are running specials on
low-end Compaq Presarios or HP Pavilions or whatever and they are
tempting.

However, despite that the machine will be primarily a server, it would
be nice for it to be able to support X and sound under Linux.  And it
would be nice to not have to pay for video and sound cards if the
stuff integrated on the motherboard is supported.

In the ads they say they come with stuff like:
* Integrated Intel 3d Graphics with Direct AGP
* Integrated 3D Audio
* Soundmax integrated digital audio
* Integrated VIA AC97 Codec

I have looked at the kernel READMEs and at the XFree86 web site, but
it's not clear to me if these are supported, since the docs talk about
specific chipsets and the ads and the salesdroids only know brandings,
not what chipsets they are.

So any ideas?

Thanks!
--
Rich Carreiro                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Rich Carreiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: State of UDMA/66 and UDMA/100 support
Date: 18 Jan 2001 21:03:05 -0500

What is the state (both in 2.2.18 and 2.4.x) of UDMA/66 and UDMA/100
support, both in terms of integrated motherboard controllers and
add-on cards (if there is any difference)?  I've not been in the
market for new iron in over 5 years, so I've gotten a bit behind on
exactly what Linux is supporting these days.  I have gone to
www.linux-ide.org, but didn't find that terribly enlightening - lots
of utilities and patches, but not much clear documentation on what
*is* supported.

And if UDMA/66 and UDMA/100 are not supported, does that mean the
controllers just won't run at those speeds (but will still do
UDMA/33)?  Or does it mean Linux won't even see those controllers?

I'm starting to see more machines/motherboards boasting about
UDMA/100 support and I want to make sure I don't buy something
that Linux won't work with.

Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Stupid question about hardware capability
Date: 19 Jan 2001 02:30:01 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:41:16 +0800, Astroboy staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I'm a Linux newbie. I got a very stupid question about the hardware
>capability. If there is  a linux software with is specified for a
>certain hardware platform, can it be easily port to another platform.
>(I'm not sure whether the software using any libraray or development
>tool, maybe GTK)

Specifics, man!  This is almost impossible to answer in the abstract.
If you have something that talks directly to the hardware (like a driver
for a network card) then it's somewhat difficult.  If you have something
that relies on semi-standard libraries (Qt, GTK, X11, glibc, SDL) and
you can compile those libraries on your target platform, it should be
reasonably easy.  If the software you're porting does not have source
available, forget it unless you have a bunch of competent programmers
with experience in reverse-engineering.  If the code you're porting
makes assumptions about endianness, or uses inline assembly in any way,
you're in for a headache.

Don't know if that helped you any.  If you could say exactly which code
you're trying to port, and which platform you're trying to port it to, I
think someone could help you more efficiently.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: CD-RW info and recommemdations needed
Date: 19 Jan 2001 02:30:03 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:51:01 GMT, Alan Jones staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>means I can have up to 8 IDE devices using the HTP 366.  The 366 has
>questionable stabillity, and I currently have 3 IDE HDs and a CD-ROM
>on the other IDE controller.  I have an Adaptec 2906 working well with
>my SCSI Zip drive.  I use LInux (currently Mandrake 7.0), W98 and
>DOS/W3.1.
>
>My preference is to use good low cost IDE HDs and use SCSI for all (or
>most) of the other devices.  However, my observation is that
>manufacturers are only developing and marketing expensive high end
>SCSI devices and low cost IDE units, so I may have to bail on my
>scuzzy philosphy.  I have been looking at the Plexwriter 12/10/32s,
>but that will cost around $300.  $300 could buy me a good video card,
>sound card, and a cheap CD-RW or HD.

You gets what you pays for, at least when it comes to hardware.  Is it
more important for you to have 10 more FPS in Quake3, or a fast and
reliable backup system?  Only you can decide.

>What is BurnProof technology.  Yes, I know it is firmware that
>prevents problems with buffer underrun.  But what is it that requires
>licencing from Sanyo?

Nothing AFAICT.  The latest versions of cdrecord support BurnProof, and
I very much doubt that Joerg S. signed an NDA.

>About a year ago someone in this NG recommended TEAC because they
>bypass safedisk anticopying in some units.  There seems to rats nest
>of anticopying stuff.  Is this a concern at all?  I'm not interested
>in pirating CDs.

Pfft.  Insert CD you wish to copy, "dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/tmp/cdrom.iso",
put a CD-R(W) blank in the burner, "cdrecord -v /tmp/cdrom.iso".  Only
works for data CDs; for audio CDs you'll need cdparanoia and you'll
probably want to add the -dao switch to cdrecord (or use cdrdao).

>There are numerous reports in this NG of problems, coasters, etc., and
>also good results with a variety of drives.  So what's the bottom
>line?  Should I buy the Plexwriter 12/10/32s, a cheap SCSI unit (???),
>a good IDE unit, or a cheap IDE unit?  Which one and why?

If you want hardware that is reliable and efficient, you will not easily
find it cheaply.  SCSI components are generally better-built than their
corresponding IDE components; this is one of the reasons SCSI costs so
much more.  If you're not going to be burning many CDs and you can live
with a slower burn speed, get to pricewatch.com and find a 4x IDE burner
from the middle of the list.  If you're going to be burning tons of CDs
and you want it to be fast and ultra-reliable, go to the same place and
pick out an 8x SCSI model from the middle of the list.  Don't forget
that better-quality blanks mean longer data life and fewer coasters.

FWIW, my cheap IDE 6x unit and its previous cheap IDE 4x unit have
burned exactly 3 coasters.  One from the (only) time I used Win98 to
burn anything, one instance of me not nohup-ing the cdrecord process
before killing the xterm, and one bad blank.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Setting up my CDWriter
Date: 19 Jan 2001 02:30:09 GMT

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:32:25 GMT, Karel Venken staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I have the same problem. My HP8250i is connected to /dev/hdc. I have
>loaded ide-scsi and loop module as explained in the HOW-TO,
>
>Module                  Size  Used by
>ide-cd                 21428   0
 ^^^^^^
     Why is this here?
>sr_mod                 15820   0  (unused)
>ide-scsi                6556   0
>sg                     11288   0  (unused)
>I can make a cdimage, test it through the loopback
>but cdrecord -scanbus still gives an error :
>Cdrecord release 1.8a22 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
>cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
>What do I need to do more. The HOW-TO does not tell me...

If the ide-cd module has grabbed onto the CD-R(W), then the SCSI modules
*cannot* make use of that CD-R(W).  If you can access a disc in the
CD-RW using /dev/hdc, then the ide-cd module is loaded and has the CD-RW
locked.  Get rid of the ide-cd module; you don't need it at all.  Boot
the system with "hdc=ide-scsi" as a kernel command-line parameter to
prevent the ide-cd module from seeing the CD-RW.

Also, cdrecord must execute as root.  If you're not root and you want to
use cdrecord, you must make cdrecord SUID root.  chmod 4755 `which
cdrecord` is the easiest (though least secure) way of doing this.

From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of UDMA/66 and UDMA/100 support
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:46:58 -0500

Rich Carreiro wrote:

> What is the state (both in 2.2.18 and 2.4.x) of UDMA/66 and UDMA/100
> support, both in terms of integrated motherboard controllers and
> add-on cards (if there is any difference)?  I've not been in the
> market for new iron in over 5 years, so I've gotten a bit behind on
> exactly what Linux is supporting these days.  I have gone to
> www.linux-ide.org, but didn't find that terribly enlightening - lots
> of utilities and patches, but not much clear documentation on what
> *is* supported.
>
> And if UDMA/66 and UDMA/100 are not supported, does that mean the
> controllers just won't run at those speeds (but will still do
> UDMA/33)?  Or does it mean Linux won't even see those controllers?
>
> I'm starting to see more machines/motherboards boasting about
> UDMA/100 support and I want to make sure I don't buy something
> that Linux won't work with.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Rich Carreiro                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've been having an ATA 100 nightmare for about a week.  I have a
promise ata 100 card and a wd 30 gig ata 100 hd.  You would probably not
believe all the permutations I've used in my lilo.conf.....

Anyhow.  The latest ide patch from Hedrick at
ftp://zeus.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ide-2.2.18 dated
12/22 (I should have looked sooner) works perfectly.

I tried the 2.4.0 kernel which is supposed to work natively but it also
failed; but then I don't believe the 2.4.0 kernel is ready for prime
time anyway.  I'm going to stick with the 2.2.xx series until about
2.4.10 is available.

--
Rinaldi]$
"Defeat may serve as well as victory, to shake the soul and let the

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 02:47:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x Rich Carreiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm looking to at long last replace my 5.7 year old Pentium 100 with
> something a bit newer.  I still plan for it to be relatively low-end
> (Celeron or Duron) because it'll be sitting in Linux virtually all the
> time serving as a mail/news/ssh/etc server.  I'll be spending more
> real money on a flashy Windoze box for finance, gaming, and web
> surfing.

> I see that places like MicroCenter and Staples are running specials on
> low-end Compaq Presarios or HP Pavilions or whatever and they are
> tempting.

> However, despite that the machine will be primarily a server, it would
> be nice for it to be able to support X and sound under Linux.  And it
> would be nice to not have to pay for video and sound cards if the
> stuff integrated on the motherboard is supported.

> In the ads they say they come with stuff like:
> * Integrated Intel 3d Graphics with Direct AGP

Probably the i815 or i815 chipsets...  3D is supported for both, I
believe (definately the i810).

> * Integrated 3D Audio
> * Soundmax integrated digital audio
> * Integrated VIA AC97 Codec

The last Compaq I bought uses an ESS Allegro...  This is supported with
the Alsa project...  Not the best driver, but fairly stable...

From: Frank. N. Puppenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:49:18 -0800

Roll your own at bunta.com.

--
"Poof.  You're a puppeteer."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Julie Brandon)
Subject: Re: hdparm settings for IBM-DTLA-307060
Date: 18 Jan 2001 21:46:47 GMT

On 18 Jan 2001 18:21:35 GMT, Andreas Heiduk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
said:
>Roger Ray ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: I'm getting very poor performance for a 60 GB ATA IBM-DTLA-307060
>: running under 2.2.14-6.1.1smp.  The system drive is a 20 GB ATA Maxtor
>: connected to the same cable as the IBM.
>
>What chipset is on your motherboard? Is it supported and enabled by your
>current kernel?
>
>FYI: I'm using a VIA VT82c686B chip with ATA100 and an DTLA-307045. The chip
>seems to be supported by linux-2.2.18, so I get ~35MB/s from hdparm. My
>hdparm setting are:
>
>       hdparm -c1 -d1 -m16

I've a 440BX based Motherboard (which is only ATA33 I believe), and a
DTLA-307030, and get 22.22MB/s.  I would have thought that this drive would
saturate the controller, so shouldn't that figure be higher?  (DMA is on &
supported etc.)

Ta-ra,

--
Julie Brandon, Derby, UK