From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Install Redhat 6.2 v. 2.2.16-3 RAID
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:02:20 GMT

Can anyone tell where i can find the rh7 ??
I have installed one Adaptec 2100s with Redhat 6.2
kernel 2.2.14 and want change to kernel 2.2.16-3
but i receive the follow message: "No Module
DPT_i2o found for kernel 2.2.16-3"
Anyone have one module that i can use with kernel
2.2.16-3??
Thx.

In article <gjxI70UYBlcC-pn2-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >     I have a problem for making my raid
device with Disk Druid.
> > I add a partition with a "linux raid" type
then I press OK but the button
> > Make raid device is not available. (I cannot
click on it) So I can't
> > continue.
> > My controller is an Adaptec SCSI 3200s and I
have 3 disks of 35 Go.
> > (I have successfully built the array during 4
hours)
> > Adaptec France gave me a driver to load (
Adaptec I2O ) when I start install
> > but it doesn't seem to work ! Maybe it is a
wrong driver. ( where can I find
> > another one, adaptec web is not speaking
about RH 7 )

> Surely the 3200S is a *hardware* RAID
controller so you don't want to
> enable "Linux RAID" which is software. Do you?
>
> --
> Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CD-RW info and recommemdations needed
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:04:02 GMT

Alan Jones wrote:

> My HD is nearly full and Ineed to buy a CD-RW to archive files and
> free up disk space.  I've spent most of the afternoon reviewing a
> years worth of related messages here, and browsing the WWW, but I
> found more questions than answers.
>
> I have a BP6 with dual Celeron 300A (can do 450 when needed). This
> means I can have up to 8 IDE devices using the HTP 366.  The 366 has
> questionable stabillity, and I currently have 3 IDE HDs and a CD-ROM
> on the other IDE controller.  I have an Adaptec 2906 working well with
> my SCSI Zip drive.  I use LInux (currently Mandrake 7.0), W98 and
> DOS/W3.1.
>
> My preference is to use good low cost IDE HDs and use SCSI for all (or
> most) of the other devices.  However, my observation is that
> manufacturers are only developing and marketing expensive high end
> SCSI devices and low cost IDE units, so I may have to bail on my
> scuzzy philosphy.  I have been looking at the Plexwriter 12/10/32s,
> but that will cost around $300.  $300 could buy me a good video card,
> sound card, and a cheap CD-RW or HD.
>
> There are numerous reports in this NG of problems, coasters, etc., and
> also good results with a variety of drives.  So what's the bottom
> line?  Should I buy the Plexwriter 12/10/32s, a cheap SCSI unit (???),
> a good IDE unit, or a cheap IDE unit?  Which one and why?
>
> Alan Jones

I recently purchased a SCSI Pacific Digital (it's really a Yamaha)
8x-8x-24x CDRW. If you look around you should be able to pick one of
these drives up for around $159.00+-. I am very satisfied with this
CDRW. I have been using those cheap $20.00 for 100 CDRs and haven't
gotten a single coaster yet. The cheap CDRs are 700 MB, when I first got
them I thought they were 750 MB so I was over burning them and they
still work good.

I hate IDE, I have only have one computer that has IDE. I don't believe
the stories about there not being much difference between IDE and SCSI.
Well, except for that SCSI devices cost more, but you get what you pay
for.

jamess
--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim T.)
Subject: Re: BP6 ATA66 Crashing System
Date: 20 Jan 2001 10:17:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Adam Becker wrote:
<snips>

>> I added the Promise card, but the system still finds the hpt366 as ide2&3
>> how can I disable it so the system will find the new Promise card??
   Question: have you still got disks/cables connected to the hpt366 ? I
   haven't and the boot up message tells me that the bios for the
   hpt366 is not loaded, and I don't see an ide2&3 ?

        TimT (Long shot, propably talking out of my **** :-)

--
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Voodoo Programmer/Keeper of the Rubber Chicken
Support the arts - shoot a critic. Hell, shoot two of `em.

------------------------------

From: "Thomas Koglbauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: vodoo5 & 3d
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:51:27 +0100

hi,

i have rebuilded Glide_V5-3.10-2.src.rpm without any problems.
but:

$ rpm tdfx_drm-1.0-3.src.rpm --rebuild
In file included from /usr/include/linux/mm.h:5,
                             from /usr/include/linux/slab.h:15,
                             from tdfx_drv.c:36:
/usr/include/linux/sched.h: In function 'mmdrop':
/usr/include/linux/sched.h:710: warning: can't inline call to '__mmdrop'
/usr/include/linux/sched.h:714: warning: called from here
tdfx_drv.c: In function 'tdfx_version':
tdfx_drv.c:392: warning: implicit declaration of function
'copy_from_usr_ret'
tdfx_drv.c:409: warning;  implicit declaration of function
'copy_to_usr_ret'
tdfx_drv.c: in function 'tdfx_lock':
tdfx_drv.c:634: structure has no member named 'priority'
tdfx_drv.c:634: 'DEF_PRIORITY' undeclared (first use in this function)
tdfx_drv.c:634: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
tdfx_drv.c:634: for each function it appears in.)
tdfx_drv.c: In function 'tdfx_unlock':
tdfx_drv.c: structure has no member named 'priority'
tdfx_drv.c:690: 'DEF_PRIORITY' undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [tdfx_drv.o] Fehler 1
$

if i try rpm tdfx_dri-4.0.1-1.src.rpm --rebuild it's the same!

MfG,
Thomas Koglbauer
A-2822 Klingfurth

------------------------------

From: Karel Venken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up my CDWriter
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:11:57 GMT

OK, the reason why I thought loadlin is not accepting it, is because after
boot, id didn't show this module. Now I am able to boot with loadlin
(I replaced the vmlinuz with the standard default one), and after manually
error :

I start loadlin from within a config.sys menu, the commandline I use is :

[LINUX]
install=c:\SYSTEM\LOADLIN\loadlin.exe  c:\SYSTEM\LOADLIN\vmlinuz
root=/dev/hda11  ro  vga=3  hdc=ide-scsi

Then (as root) I see the cdwriter

root@PIII:/tmp > cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord release 1.8a22 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsibus0:
                  0) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 8200a' '1.0g' Removable CD-ROM
                  1) *
                  2) *
                  3) *
                  4) *
                  5) *
                  6) *
                  7) *

I make a cd-image from my home directory :

 mkisofs -r -o cdimage /home/karel
Using _REALNET.000;1 for  /.RealNetworks_RealPlayer_60
(.RealNetworks_RealShared_00)
 91.73% done, estimate finish Sat Jan 20 11:59:03 2001
Total extents actually written = 54521
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 198258
Total directory bytes: 473088
Path table size(bytes): 1632
Max brk space used fd000
54521 extents written (106 Mb)

This image I can mount through the loopback, and so on,...
When I try to write it to the CD-writer, I get following error

root@PIII:/tmp > cdrecord -v -dummy -eject speed=2 dev=0,0,0 -data cdimage
Cdrecord release 1.8a22 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'HP      '
Identifikation : 'CD-Writer+ 8200a'
Revision       : '1.0g'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Drive buf size : 4183808 = 4085 KB
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data  106 MB
Total size:     122 MB (12:06.97) = 54523 sectors
Lout start:     122 MB (12:08/73) = 54523 sectors
Current Secsize: -1
Trying to clear drive status.
cdrecord: Drive needs to reload the media to return to proper status.

>>> Here the tray opens and closes again, so it is OK I suppose...

Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in dummy mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 1 seconds.
Waiting for reader process to fill input-buffer ... input-buffer ready.
cdrecord: Input/output error. read track info: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  52 01 00 00 00 FF 00 00 1C 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 C0
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) error refers to command part, bit ptr 0 (not
valid) field ptr 0
cmd finished after 0.011s timeout 240s
Writing  time:    0.024s
Fixating...
WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode.
Fixating time:    0.011s
cdrecord: fifo had 128 puts and 0 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

And the tray is opened again...

------------------------------

From: "Martin Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3Com 10/100 card only running 10Mbps
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:37:50 +0100

Yes.. I prefer a cross-linked TP cable to talk directly between my 100Mbps
NIC cards. i.e. I have several of them in the same server, then a separate
cable to each workstation. This is a SMALL network though.

"Mike Schwartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> what is at the other end of the ethernet cable? Your ethernet card is
probably
> auto-negotiating and picking 10 Mbps because the other end talks 10 Mbps.
For
> example when I first hooked up my PC to a hub that connected to my DSL
router
> the PC talked 10 Mbps because the DSL router only had a 10 Mbps card in
it.  I
> later built out my network with a 100 Mbps etherswitch + other machines,
and
> then the PC was able to talk 100 Mbps to the switch and other 100 Mbps
machines
> connected to the switch
>  - Mike
>
> Jon Small wrote:
>
> > I have the card working fine at 10Mbps, but I can't get it to switch to
> > 100Mbps. I have tried numerous CAT5 certified cables, but to no avail.
The

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Multiple SCSI controllers?
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 Jan 2001 19:42:31 +0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> >He is right, but it is expensive. 2 or, in a few cases 3, drives
>
>       I dunno about that. Even with all four drives on the same
>       bus it should not be saturated. Why not just get a hardware
>       RAID5 solution at this point?

Don't forget that with RAID, you don't have independant IO to
the devices anymore.

I don't know if the UW160 bus will handle 3 or more devices. The
re-arbitration time chops a lot out of the throughput, and when
you get over about 70%, you can get drive lockout problems unless
you configure the controller to be the lowest ID on the bus.

The 2 to 3 'rule' has stood up for over a decade, across many
IO buses. I'd love to know it was broken at last.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

From: "Chig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing linux with an ATA/100 controler
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 15:01:59 GMT

I am having difficulty installing any version of Linux at all because each
time i try to install SuSe, Mandrake,red hat, or Turbo Linux, it won't find
my hard disk to install onto. I have already made a linux partition in Win
'98 with partition magik. My system is using:-
Promise Ultra100 IDE controler (PCD20265)
VIA Bus Master PCI IDE controler
IBM DTLA 305030 (30 Gbite HD)
I've looked on the net for drivers, but there aint any. I need some kind of
work around, but i have very little linux experience before.

Cherz, Charlie.

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hdparm settings for IBM-DTLA-307060
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 15:14:42 GMT

> I'm getting very poor performance for a 60 GB ATA IBM-DTLA-307060
> running under 2.2.14-6.1.1smp.

Get a stock kernel and the corresponding ide patch which will have
direct support for all of the ATA/66&100 chipsets.  Also try moving the
drive to hdc or hdd.  If you stick with 2.2.14, search for
'ide.2.2.14.20000124'

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2/
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/

Try 'hdparm -i /dev/hda /dev/hdb' and check where the * is in 'DMA
modes:'.

*****

Here's the DTLA-307020 under ATA/66 (Abit BP6).  The only hdparm setting
that makes a bit of difference is dma which was automatically set at
boot time.

hde: IBM-DTLA-307020, 19623MB w/1916kB Cache, CHS=39870/16/63, UDMA(66)

# hdparm -iv /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 multcount    =  0 (off)
 I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 39870/16/63, sectors = 40188960, start = 0

 Model=IBM-DTLA-307020, FwRev=TX3OA50C, SerialNo=YH0YHF64470
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
 CurCHS=65535/1/63, CurSects=4128705, LBA=yes, LBAsects=40188960
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 udma5
[tim@asus tim]# hdparm -tT /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.54 seconds = 83.12 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.17 seconds = 29.49 MB/sec
[tim@asus tim]# hdparm -c 3 -m 16 /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 setting 32-bit I/O support flag to 3
 setting multcount to 16
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 I/O support  =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
[tim@asus tim]# hdparm -tT /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.49 seconds = 85.91 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.17 seconds = 29.49 MB/sec

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: "pepe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound card Multimedia Pro 16 IIB-3D - 2316R
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 16:14:21 +0100

Hi everyone,

I can't install my sound card (see the subject) in Red Hat 7.
I need any information on which drivers I should use (which card it's
compatible with).

Please help. I can't put up with it any longer!

Pepe.
ICQ: 86937710

------------------------------

From: Nat Goodspeed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise Ultra100 and kernel 2.2.14-5.0
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:15:43 -0500

I have a 1997 Gateway 2000 P133 that I want to convert to a Linux
server. For that purpose, I bought, and had the store install, a 27GB
Maxtor drive as a second drive. There's still a 2GB disk on the onboard
controller as the primary drive.

The store told me that the (controller? BIOS?) was too old to be able to
utilize the full capacity of the new drive, and that I'd need a new
controller.  So now I have a Promise Ultra100 controller, to which the
new drive is connected. This worked fine under Win95, but of course I
wasn't interested in using it with Win95.

I installed Red Hat Linux 6.2 from the CD. It installed fine, but to my
distress, it wasn't even aware of the existence of the bigger drive.

I have not been able to empirically confirm the existence of Promise
tech support. So far they've ignored three e-mail messages, two to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and one to [EMAIL PROTECTED] And when I
called the tech support number (during the stated hours of operation) it
rang and rang with no answer whatsoever.

The store, of course, knows nothing about Linux, and doesn't want to.

I'm a Linux newbie. I can handle a CD install, and have tinkered with a
previous Linux system, but frankly I'm daunted by the prospect of
patching/rebuilding/reinstalling the kernel.

I've reviewed all 67 recent comp.os.linux.hardware posts that mention
the Ultra100 -- twice. I've tentatively concluded that for the 2.2.14
kernel, although I would need a patch to run the drive at UDMA 100
speed, it should *work* to just notify the vanilla kernel of the port
addresses -- just slower than what the hardware is theoretically capable
of achieving. But to tell the truth, I'd plug it into the onboard IDE
controller if I thought I could access the drive that way! Again,
though, the store led me to believe otherwise.

Anyway, I tried rebooting the initial install with override parameters
at the lilo: prompt:

linux ide2=0xfff0,0xffe6

-- based on the first two I/O addresses shown under the controller's
/proc/pci entry, as noted earlier in this group. I was pleased that this
override did allow the kernel to "see" the controller and the drive --
although I couldn't mount it; at that point the drive was still
formatted as FAT16.

But this encouraged me to rerun the CD install, using the same
parameter-override line at the boot: prompt. The graphical server-style
install apparently formatted the big drive, and I think selected it as
the drive to use for the / filesystem. But when it had finished
installing the default set of .rpm packages from the CD, the installer
just hung.

I reran the install with the same override, just in case it was a fluke
-- but no, it hung again at the same point.

Then I thought: well, the install's just about over anyway, maybe I can
boot normally from here? But when I do, this is what I get on the
screen:

Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >
 hde: [PTBL] [3330/255/63] hde1 hde2 < hde5 hde6 hde7 >
 <<<This last is encouraging to me because again, the installer
obviously saw and formatted the drive.>>>
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:08: rw=0, want=2, limit=0
dev 03:08 blksize=1024 blocknr=1 sector=2 size=1024 count=1
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:08: rw=0, want=33, limit=0
dev 03:08 blksize=1024 blocknr=32 sector=64 size=1024 count=1
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=03:08, iso_blknum=16, block=32

I tried rebooting again, specifying the same ide2 override as earlier,
but produced the same kernel panic.

I'm distressed that I've gone from a functional Linux system that
ignores most of my disk space, to one that no longer boots at all. I
would be happy to defer optimizing the disk access speed for later, if I
could just USE it!

Is it essential to patch (or upgrade) the kernel to get past this point,
or is there something else I can tweak that would let me get by?  Thank
you for your help.

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To switch to Linux or not? Advice please.
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:52:25 +0000

Dave Stanton wrote:

> Just installed Mandrake 7.2 to try it out and am very impressed with ease of
> install.

How do you like the "MandrakeUpdate" system?

Do you use it on a daily basis? Doing what?

I use it myself, every day, haven't booted Windows since... november?
(and it was to play a game)... and I just love Mandrake Update.

> Dave

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

From: Steve Swiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MSI K7T-Pro2A+HP9100i+Linux doesn't work. Why?
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:08:31 -0600

I actually found a solution to this problem, I recompiled the kernel with only
generic PCI ide support and not VIA. Worked perfect after that. Will just have to
wait until the kernel supporting it is out.
-Steve