From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To all linux user......
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:16:24 +0000

And "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>I wanna learn Linux peacefully

        Explore Unix.  Linux is a Unix clone, so most everything that works
with basic Unix also works with Linux.  Any kind of Unix user's guide,
shell programming guide, and Unix system or network administrator's guide
will be a great help.  Your local library will probably have information.
If not there, the library of a local college which often allow use by the
general public.  College and commercial bookstores are other good places to
check out, but they're more expensive.  The main thing is becoming familiar
with the shell prompt, especially if you want to get anywhere in your new
OS, and Unix guides tend to be written by professional writers rather than
code hackers.  They'll be written in layman's terms that new users can more
easily understand.

>If you can I thank you but don't insult me and my Microsoft OS or your
>linux terrorism and racism will be answer and PURGED.

        BTW: Your Microsoft OS sucks. <grins>

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Linux Counter Reg.ID# 177869    http://counter.li.org    GNUke The Planet!
Sign The Linux Driver Petition:   www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

------------------------------

From: Youngert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Advice]: Multi-Modem for a Small ISP
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:03:50 GMT

Ray wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:50:45 GMT, Youngert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >What I am going to do is not for commercial.  The dial-ins I will be
> >providing are going to be by my friends as well as myself when I am not
> >at
> >home.  What could my provider, the cable company, complain about?
>
> Try bringing all your friends to an "all you can eat" restaraunt and
> feeding
> them all off of your plate and see how that goes over.  When you signed up
> for your cable ISP service you signed a service agreement, now might be a
> good time to read it over.

You meant even I setup a PPP dial-in on my linux machine and do a PPP
connection from office to my Linux machine is forbidden?

> >It's hard to fine a 56Kbps dial-in modem.   All the 56Kbps modem that I
> >know of only have 33.6 Kbps uplink and when my friends do dial-in, they
> >will only get 33,6 Kbps, not 56 Kbps.
>
> For 56k dial-in you need a digital line (such as but not limited to ISDN).
> No analog line/modem combo. will do what you want.

That's why I am posting this issue on the NG asking for advice on a multi
56Kbps modems.

------------------------------

From: "Corey W. Clamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Travan atapi tape woes.....
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:27:23 GMT

I also forgot to state that if I use the device as /dev/ht0 or /dev/nht0
(with mt) I get a "Device not configured" screamed back at me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 23 Jan 2001 01:28:43 GMT

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:50:45 GMT, Youngert staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>What I am going to do is not for commercial.  The dial-ins I will be
>providing are going to be by my friends as well as myself when I am not at
>home.  What could my provider, the cable company, complain about?

?  You're turning around and providing your friends with service you
paid for, for free, and *not giving the cable company a cut*.  That's
what they could complain about.  Welcome to Reality--if you didn't think
of this, you're not cynical enough.

>It's hard to fine a 56Kbps dial-in modem.   All the 56Kbps modem that I
>know of only have 33.6 Kbps uplink and when my friends do dial-in, they
>will only get 33,6 Kbps, not 56 Kbps.

Yep.  "56K" requires a special digital connect on one end of the line.
The ISP gets data directly from their T3, then sends a digital signal
down the copper to your telco's CO, where they convert it to analog and
send it to your phone line.  This is one fewer D<->A conversion than the
normal way of doing things.  Diagram below for both instances:

Comp->Modem->Phone->CO ... ->CO->Phone->Modem->Comp  "normal" upload or
  D     A      A     A  ?    A    A       A     D     download

T3->ISP->gear->CO ... ->CO->Phone->Modem->Comp       "56K" download
 D   D     D    D  ?    D    A       A     D         in 1 direction only

There is one fewer D<->A conversion in the bottom path, which is how you
can get better throughput in one direction only.  Look up "Shannon's
Law" for more detailed info if you care, but bottom line is your friends
will only get 33.6K.  If they live close, string some Cat5!

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: sound card (es1371) and xmms and studio
Date: 23 Jan 2001 01:28:44 GMT

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:23:57 +0100, Eros Albertazzi staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I just installed a sound card on a RH6.2 ... kernel config is ok...
>but xmms can play only when launched as root, not as regular user...
>Device permission seems ok, although cat /dev/sndstat, as suggested in
>the sound-FAQ for testing, says no such device.. and the same does
>studio :Error in startup script: cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device

Permissions, most likely.  "chmod 666 /dev/dsp* /dev/mixer" as root.

es137[01]s do not have a /dev/sndstat --it's funny; I've answered this
question and many similar to it about 4 times in the last week....

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Robotics modem and SuSe 6.4
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:16:20 +0000

And Steven Leuty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>noticed is that there is no irq noted in the "cat /proc/pci" listing. Is
>there any hope for my box?

        If minicom can communicate with your modem, check your modem settings.
Windows tends to create its own modem config and never informs the user
what changes it has made to establish an ISP connection.  I was incorrectly
using the AT&B0 setting for months before finally realizing that DTE needed
to be locked with the port speed.

From: Paul Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD decoder: software vs. hardware
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:30:04 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I'm thinking about buying a DVD decoder card.  my dvd drive came with

i researched this briefly.  the only card with any linux support that
i found is the netstream 2000 from sigma designs.  they have linux
drivers for it.  see www.sigmadesigns.com, and also, point your newsreader
at news.sigmadesigns.com and read their private newsgroups.

as i understand it, there are no commercial software-only decoder
solutions due to the licensing issues with dvd encoding.

there may be free solutions using the "illegal" decss code, but i suspect
the quality won't really "be there" for a real movie viewing experience.

in the end, i decided that when i sit down to watch a movie, i don't
want to deal with booting/configuring/debugging issues.  i just want
to watch a movie.  so when we go dvd, we'll be getting a standard consumer
playback deck.  they're cheaper than the combo of dvd drive and decoder
card anyway.

paul
=---------------------
  paul fox, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "John J. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HDD read error
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:42:30 +0000

I seem to get these kinds of messages when my ~1Gb hard drive gets down to
about 150Mb free space.  Presumably this means there's a region of the
disc surface that's damaged?  If so, can I map it out somehow?

hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=444150,
sector=431991
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:05 (hda), sector 431991
hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=444150,
sector=431991
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:05 (hda), sector 431991

Thanks for any help

John

------------------------------

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:46:06 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > In article <aNDa6.10906$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I would like to think of myself as computer student, YOU DONT' INSULT ME AND
> >> MY FAVOIRTE OS and I won't insult you and your favorite stuff. Point of my
> >> posting is some of your are extremist no matter how many time you post you
> >> gotta insult us. But I am not one of those MS Windows user who will just be
> >> quite and read and listen to your garbage, I will retaliate.
>
> > I hope tina is 6 years old or from a country where english is a 4th or
> > 5th language.
>
> No, if you look she's using consistent (ly wrong) sentence structures.
> It's a devolved form of english. Most tenses have disappeared,
> lots of articles have gone, and transitive and intransitive verbs are
> used alike.

A friend (who is an expert in linguistics) tells me Chinese
has no tense.  Perhaps this explains Tina's linguistic
problems.

> I wish I could say that it were probably "murrican white redneck"

LOL!! ("murrican" took me a few moments' thought)

> speak, but it's not. Looks like it may be inner city black slang.
>
> The writer is possibly intelligent, but is trying to communicate using
> the language of children, which makes her appear unintelligent. One would
> estimate an age of below 11 from the writing skills, but maybe she's never
> been educated to write, so that that's just what she is, effectively!
> There's definitely a cultural problem, in that she's obviously not used
> to expressing herself in writing, and possibly not used to logical
> thought.  She's also hung up on attitudes of attack/defense.  Any
> criticism is treated as an attack.  That's ghettoism, all in all, I guess.
>
> One should probably encourage her.
>
> Peter

I would speculate that Ms. Carter is *way* out of her
league.  Sounds like a computer novice who is finding linux
not as user-friendly as some O/Ses.  She also speaks (well,
writes, at least) poorly in English.

My advice to Tina Carter:
1) find a newsgroup in your native language (if it's not
English, otherwise study more English)
2) learn to ask a more meaningful question and understand
the answer without getting defensive or being offended
3) find a good book on Linux in that language
4) find a local Linux guru or user group who can physically
look over your shoulder (as suggested by somebody else) to
help you get started
5) lose Corel and try Debian or RedHat.  RedHat is probably
the most common Linux distribution;  I prefer Debian.
(Corel is based on Debian.)  The version of Corel Linux on
this machine isn't up to par.  In fact, I've upgraded,
deleted, and changed so much that I don't know what
distribution to call it.

J-P Stewart

------------------------------

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:46:07 GMT

I hate to follow-up again...

I've seen other posts where Tina admits to being from
Finland.

TRY YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE!

There must be Linux newsgroups in your language.  (Isn't
Linus Torvalds himself from Finland?)

There must also be a user group near where you live.
Unless, of course, you're out on Baffin Island.  I'm in
southwestern Ontario and I know everywhere you look there's
a user group around here.

------------------------------

From: "Corey W. Clamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ELSA GLADIAC MX with ELSA GLADIAC Video Module
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:22:26 GMT

I can't say for sure on that chipset, but I ended up getting a laptop from
work (toshiba tecrap 8100) that gave me hell on running XF86.  I had to use
the framebuffer server to do so.  You might want to try looking into that
later on if you want.  Email me if you need any details as to how I got mine
up and running, and it may possibly work for you as well.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A7V promise IDE controler WITH UDMA MODE
Date: 23 Jan 2001 01:28:20 GMT

in comp.os.linux.hardware <wEQa6.11489$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>Hi There
>>I didn't know Gig cpu works with Linux there is no info about them...
>>You sure it's working??

Yes, everything works fine excepting UDMA feature.
Is there a difference of behaviour between
Gig cpu and others with Linux?

>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:94g6n7$8ru$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>>
>>> I tried kernel 2.4.0 for using UDMA5 with my A7V.
>>> Then A7V promise controller has been recognized successfully,

>>> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
>>> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=
>>> PDC20265: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 88
>>> PDC20265: chipset revision 2
>>> PDC20265: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>>> PDC20265: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
>>>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0x8400-0x8407, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
>>>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0x8408-0x840f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
>>> VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
>>> VP_IDE: chipset revision 16
>>> VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>>> VP_IDE: VIA vt82c686a IDE UDMA66 controller on pci0:4.1
>>>     ide2: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:DMA
>>>     ide3: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
>>> hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 07, ATA DISK drive
>>> hdb: IBM-DTLA-307045, ATA DISK drive
>>> hde: MATSHITA CR-594, ATAPI CDROM drive
>>> hdf: PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1210A, ATAPI CDROM drive
>>> ide0 at 0x9400-0x9407,0x9002 on irq 11
>>> ide2 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>>>
>>> but boot sequence stops at this point(IRQs or I/Os are incorrect).
>>> Now it works with generic ide driver with kernel 2.2.18. X-(
>>> hdparm says:
>>>
>>> /dev/hdb:
>>>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>>>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>>>  using_dma    =  0 (off)
>>>
>>> CPU: Athlon thunderbird 1.2GHz
>>> Kernel: 2.4.0 (slackware 7.1 base)
>>> ide0: promise Ultra100 (PDC20265)
>>> hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 07, 7162MB w/418kB Cache, CHS=15522/15/63
>>> hdb: IBM-DTLA-307045, 43979MB w/1916kB Cache, CHS=5606/255/63
>>> ide2: VIA VT82C686A
>>> hde: MATSHITA CR-594, ATAPI CDROM drive
>>> hdf: PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1210A, ATAPI CDROM drive
>>>
>>> # /etc/lilo.conf:
>>> image = /vmlinuz.2.4.0
>>> root = /dev/hdb3
>>> label = 2.4.0

------------------------------

From: Steven Leuty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:04:49 -0600

Yea I tried mincom but it said something like modem busy or modem didn't respond.
I do know that win me set my modem at com port 5. I never had a port 5 before I
installed this modem. I have a HP Pavilion and it originally came with a sinmodem
which was at port 3. Figures. windows wants to screw everything up for us "other"
os wanabe's.
steverl

From: Keven Belanger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with sb32
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:27:06 GMT

I got a problem with my sound card with kernel 2.4.0, this is a creative
labs sb32 (model ct3930)
In kernel 2.3.42 my sound card work great but the 2.4.0 driver have been
changed, I don;t want to use a module I need to compile it in the
kernel...

There is the problem:
My sound card is at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1,5
when i boot up the system i got this error message:

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
sb: I/O, IRQ, and DMA are mandatory
AWE32: No ISAPnP cards found
AWE32: not detected

Where is the problem ???
The drvier tell that i/o irq and dma are mandatory ???
where can I tell to the kernel wich i/o irq and dma to use ???
In version 2.3.42 of the kernel we can choose (with "make
[x,menu]config") wich i/o, irq and dma to use why we can't do that with
the 2.4.0 one ???

Info: this sound card IS NOT PnP

Please help me!!!

-Keven-

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: no Linux drivers for Microtek flatbed scanners
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:34:55 GMT

I inquired about getting my two Microtek parallel-port flatbed scanners to
work under Linux.
Below is the response I got from Microtek:
=================
Dear Michael,

We do not make drivers for Linux - only Windows and Macintosh systems.

Thank you for your interest in Microtek Products,

Microtek Lab, Inc.
Customer Service Dept.
www.microtekusa.com 1-800-654-4160
Technical Support Webpage: www.support.microtek.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.i386unix,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: How to save xvidtune settings?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:25:51 GMT

Yep ... I removed all the other 1024X768 lines ...

Actually none of them matched the vertical refresh rate exactly
of what I got from xvidtune ...

But I removed all the other 1024X768 lines and it still
started up shifted to the right.

             Ax

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Sweetser) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I recently succumbed to the tempation of installing RedHat 7 ...
> >After some considerable partitioning issues, I THINK I finally
> >have everything running okay ...
> >
> >With one exception -- when I first run startx, the screen is
> >shifted about 30 pixels to the right of where it is in Windows ME.
> >
> >Now I can use xvidtune to get it shifted to where I want it, but
> >I can't seem to get it to stay in the right spot on reboot.
> >
> >I have Fetched the number from xvidtune and put them where I think
> >they're supposed to be in /etc/X11/XF86Config but still no luck.
>
> Did you remove all other mode lines for the same resolution, to make
> sure the one you put in is the one getting used?
>
> --
> Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu, fs at suave.net  | $ x 14
> Full-time WPI Network Tech, Part time Linux/Perl guy |
>    The only skills I have the patience to learn are those that have
no real
> application in life.  -- Calvin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: HDD read error
Date: 23 Jan 2001 02:48:36 GMT

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:42:30 +0000, John J. Lee staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

>I seem to get these kinds of messages when my ~1Gb hard drive gets down to
>about 150Mb free space.  Presumably this means there's a region of the
>disc surface that's damaged?  If so, can I map it out somehow?
>hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=444150,
>sector=431991

If you know where the bad spot is, you could create a partition that
covers that bad spot, and never read or write to that partition.  That
could be a bit of a hassle, though, and most likely not worth it.
Modern IDE drives check the disk surface regularly, and if they find a
sector that's marginal, they remap that sector to a pool of known good
spare sectors.  When the spare sectors run out, you start getting
read/write errors, and the drive is nearing the end of its useful life.
If I were you, I'd back up all your data, then go buy a bigger and
faster drive--prices have never been lower....

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:06:57 -0800

Michael wrote:

> I inquired about getting my two Microtek parallel-port flatbed scanners to
> work under Linux.
> Below is the response I got from Microtek:
> -----------------
> Dear Michael,
>
> We do not make drivers for Linux - only Windows and Macintosh systems.
>
> Thank you for your interest in Microtek Products,
>
> Microtek Lab, Inc.
> Customer Service Dept.
> www.microtekusa.com 1-800-654-4160
> Technical Support Webpage: www.support.microtek.com

        If there are drivers, you'll find them at the SANE homepage:

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

        And remember, always try to buy products whose manufacturers support
Linux.  I don't have a scanner yet, but I already know not to buy a Microtek.

                                                Marcus