From: "Moeller Dirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Minolta PagePro Color (PCL5C)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:34:06 +0100

i want to use an Minolta PagePro Color with Linux SuSe.
The printer emulate PCL5C

What driver works for this configuration?
(mayby without colorprinting)

Dirk Möller

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Quad Xeon Box
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:31:19 GMT

Hi,

We (my research group) are looking to invest in a small scale, parallel
architecture in order to run a parallel C compiler
which supports OpenMP such as the portland group compiler.  We will be
running Linux on this box as we are UNIX based and
have the greatest experience in Linux and Solaris.  We are not over
concerned with getting the best performance as this system will be used
for code experimentation.  The task of spec'ing the machine has fallen
to me.  I have checked out
what the bigger players have to offer and there seems to be quite a few
offering Quad Xeon II or III units.  If I understand
correct a 2.2.xx Linux kernel with SMP support should have no problems
running reasonably efficiently on such as box (?)

What I would like are any `pearls of wisdom' from people who have done
this kind of thing before.  In particular;
  What are the problems we are likely to encounter?
  Are there any hardware configurations which people have found
    stable/unstable?
  What benefits would we get from a Xeon III system over a II or could
we simply project expected performance improvments based on a cheaper II
system?
   Is a Xeon quad unit a sensible choice for a testbed of our software -
numerically intensive medical image analsis?

Many thanks for any help.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Zoran V. Petrovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A7V-133 IDE raid support?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:16:23 +0100

==============2EC950CA272BA54CD0B5472E

Keith Wheeler wrote:

> Henning,
>
> I have that motherboard. It is an Asus A7V with 200MHz FSB and PC133 SDRAM
> support. You may be thinking of the Abit K7 series. I believe they have an
> IDE RAID M/B.
>
> I am running the AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1000 on the Asus A7V. I have two
> Intel PRO/100+ NIC's. I have installed RH 7.0 and it runs, but my onboard
> Promise ATA100 controller is not yet supported. Other than that it runs
> great. I have "played" with the 2.4.0 kernel which DOES have support for the
> Promise controller, but this introduces boot difficulties (can't boot to
> Promise controller).

Hello.
You have solutions on: http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/index.html
Install 2.2.18 plus ide-patch from Hedrick  linux-ide.org, make new kernel
and You have boot with promise100. On my computer ( ASUS A7V address
is ide2=0x9800,0x9402, You must find address on Alt F2 , cat /proc/pci )

> Currently I have the HDD on the VIA ATA66 controller and all is fine.
> Waiting for RH to encorporate 2.4.x into the next RH release for now

Work , boot with 2.2.18 + ide-patch ( Promise 20265 ) .

Zoran V. Petrovic, System Administrator          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office: DD IRITEL, Batajnicki put 23, 11080 Beograd, Serbia, Yugoslavia
Phone: +381 11 105 042 Ext. 370 ; Fax: +381 11 108 801

==============2EC950CA272BA54CD0B5472E

Keith Wheeler wrote:
SDRAM
have an
two
runs
for the
Hello.
HREF="http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/index.html">http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/index.html</A>
new kernel
)
Work , boot with 2.2.18 + ide-patch (&nbsp;Promise 20265 ) .
<pre>--&nbsp;
Zoran V. Petrovic, System
Administrator&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office: DD IRITEL, Batajnicki put 23, 11080 Beograd, Serbia, Yugoslavia
Phone: +381 11 105 042 Ext. 370 ; Fax: +381 11 108 801</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Zoran V. Petrovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise ATA/100 card
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:18:07 +0100

==============203EAF419A2BA3871B6C2CC4

p43cibmgs-Frank wrote:

> hi, I just bought a new gateway, and it came with a Promise ATA/100 card, with my
>new 60GB HDD attached to it
> When I tryed installing RH 7.0, it couldn't find the HD. I have a DVD and a CDRW on
>the 2nd chanel of the
> onboard IDE controler, and they showed up. I have looked for info on this, and all I
>found is that I need
> drivers to make this work. so, a) does anyone know where I can get them, and b) how
>do I get them to work
> to install?
> One last thing, once I do get this working, I have an older ATA/66 HHD that I'd like
>to add to the system. Should I
> put this on the 100 card, or on the MB?
>
> Thanx a bunch...
> Tim
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello.
http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/index.html have solutions for You .

p43cibmgs-Frank wrote:
a Promise ATA/100 card, with my new 60GB HDD attached to it
and a CDRW on the 2nd chanel of the
this, and all I found is that I need
them, and b) how do I get them to work
HHD that I'd like to add to the system. Should I
Hello.
HREF="http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/index.html">http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/index.html</A>
 have solutions for You
.

From: "Greg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Help, please, post install...
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:56:31 -0000

I´m installing a Linux server with RH6.2. After formatting and installing
packages,
the system shows the message: "Performing post install configuration..." and
nothing more happens... 10 minutes, 20...

What could be the reason for this to happen??

Thanks

Greg

------------------------------

From: "JP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on Sequent S2000
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:16:57 -0000

jwk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> VME? I seem to remember that as a very old type of bus, almost before
> isa and eisa, right?

Yes, Sequent used the VME bus to connect SCSI, Ethernet, Token Ring devices
etc.

I've heard of *someone* running linux on this platform but they probably
know how to write kernel drivers...

I think I'll carry on hunting.

:-)

------------------------------

From: "Gunnar Hilling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printing to Epson Stylus 980 over USB cable?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:43:20 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Anders Skovsted Buch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I will continue by installing the gimp-print-4.1.2 package.
>
> By the way, I'm using redhat 6.1.  Do you know about a place to download
> printtool filters for Epson 980?

I'm using cups (www.cups.org) and the gimp-print cups-drivers (and
certainly gimp-drivers) (from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/).

These drivers let you control all the printer settings you need for
really good results (paper type, resolution etc.).

I would *strongly* recommend switching to cups (quite easy).

-Gunnar

/**/

------------------------------

From: "Gunnar Hilling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:43:20 +0100

From: Mike Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft FUD here?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:58:35 GMT

A-ha...  BTW, there are certainly some ugly ng discussions out there...

Mike

--
Mike Edwards

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't print to my printer, but Win machines can!
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:16:59 -0500

==============1BEBDC395E59D387729DF66D

I reckon, without knowing anything else, that I would suspect one of the
filters.

Since you have a Postscript printer, have you tried a more standard/default
setting for the printer in Linux? I have RedHat 6.2, for example, and the
printtool just gives me an appropriate filter that I don't have to mess with. At
least you could try that to determine if it's your filter giving you the grief.

Mark

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:25:49 -0500

==============FAB9AD1347A16D4238C16ADD

Shane Baker wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:50:07 GMT, Mike Edwards wrote:
>
> >A quick search on yahoo produced this nugget:
> >

>>http://macworld.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/storyforums/macworldforums/_2000_03_30_upgradejeopardy/forum.pl?read=44
> >
> >MS-sponsored FUD or not, she seems to despise anything non-Wintel.  Gee,
> >when I was 16, I hated the status quo--I would've loved Linux if it had
> >been around at the time.
>
> I agree on both points.
>
> FWIW, this girl seems a sandwich short of a picnic.  (Apple and Communism in
> the same sentence?)

Well, it seems she's calling all Mac users "Communists" and, if I read the
threads in this NG right, all us Linux users "Nazis".

A case of the pot calling the kettle "black" if you ask me... ;-)

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: mlist.linux.kernel
Subject: Re: Questionable boot up messages
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:31:13 -0500

==============B977758E670297ACB62EA9BD

David,

I only have some feedback on a couple of your messages:

> 6)
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
> idebus=xx
> (Q: does this mean the bus it at 33 while the CPU and SDRAM are at 133?)

This has to do with your motherboard's ATA speed. Newer ones support ATA/66 or
ATA/100. Most "older" (2 years or so) ones are ATA/33.

If your motherboard has ATA/66 or ATA/100 and your hard drive also supports it,
you can try to take advantage of it by setting the idebus=xx option in Lilo or
at the lilo prompt when you enter "linux". Kernel 2.4.0 will not do it for you
automatically (at least what I would infer from the note).

Also, I think at least a couple of the other messages sound like notices
regarding multi-processor systems. Maybe those would go away if you compile the
kernel without SMP support (?).

Mark