From: "Will Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cannot use USB Microsoft Optical Mouse in Caldera 2.4
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:36:40 -0800

I recently installed Caldera 2.4 on a system with Windows.  My USB Microsoft
optical mouse works in Windows but not in LINUX.  Can anyone tell me where
to look for help in this matter?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sincerely,
    - Newbie

------------------------------

From: The Archimage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Lance Ethernet Driver Problem
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 05:23:48 GMT

Did you install the upgrades listed in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Crossposted-To:
alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Proliant 2500R + Red Hat 6.2 - RAID5 suddenly loses drives
Date: 27 Jan 2001 06:34:42 GMT

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:46:43 GMT, The Archimage
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>OK, here's the scenario:
>
>I have a Compaq Proliant 2500R, dual PPro 200's, a gig of EDO ECC RAM,
>and an external Compaq F1 Raid array with 9 identical Seagate 9.1 gig
>SCSI drives.  Several months ago (right when RH6.2 was released), I
>installed RH6.2 in GUI mode, set up a 24 meg partition mounted on /boot,
>and the rest of the array as /dev/md0, a RAID5 array, mounted on /.
>
>The server was at a remote site, and I have to admit I didn't watch the
>logs as closely as I should have.  I ssh'd in on January 16th, and
>noticed in /var/log/messages that a "disk failure" had occured on one of
>the disks, and the array was continuing on 6 disks.  I used
>raidhotremove to remove the drive from the stripe set, and then
>raidhotadd to add it back in and regenerate the stripe set.  The server
>crashed, showing a second drive "failed."  I lost all the data on the
>array.

First of all, please trim down the list of newsgroups. Note the F'Up.

Second, are there any log-messages that might indicate WHY some drives
failed?

Jurriaan

--
BOFH excuse #125:

we just switched to Sprint.
GNU/Linux 2.2.19pre7 SMP 2x1402 bogomips load av: 0.08 0.09 0.08

------------------------------

From: coma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.2600.hackerz,alt.hackers.groups,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Hey! Dial Up Question!
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:58:23 GMT

In article <94td4j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "HOLY SHIT!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry to cross post on this very post, but oh well....
>
> I was wondering if anyone know where or of a web site I can get a
list of
> error message, and number (e.g. Error 680: There is no dial tone...).
This
> is for dial up.
>
> TIA
>
> P.S. Don't Flame!
>
> Oh, for everyone from alt.2600.hackerz, I m still at home, but I dont
check
> the newsgroup, I wont be for a week left.

Dial-Up Networking Errors
Here are some of the more common Dial-Up Networking Errors:

Error 629
After you install Windows 98 Second Edition, the 128-bit data
encryption won't work, and you will get this error message when you
attempt to create a Dial-Up Networking (DUN) connection that uses 128-
bit data encryption:

Error 629: You have been disconnected from the computer you dialed.
Double-click the connection to try again.
If you try to (re)install the 128-bit version of the Windows 98 Dial-Up
Networking Security Upgrade (Msnt128.exe) file, you are unable to do
so. When you double-click the Msnt128.exe file, you receive the 128 bit
encryption for Dial-Up Networking (Not for Export) dialog box. When you
click OK, you quit the Msnt128.exe program.

This is caused because Windows 98 Second Edition includes a newer
version of the 40-bit DUN files that replace the 128-bit DUN files.

You can get a new 128-bit DUN Security Upgrade for Windows 98 Second
Edition when Microsoft makes it available. To see if the 128-bit DUN
Security Upgrade for Windows 98 Second Edition is available, view the
following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/Support/NTServer/128Eula.asp

Note that after accepting the License Agreement, the list of 128-bit
software is available.

Error 630
When you try to start Dial-Up Networking, you receive the following
error message:

Error 630: The computer is not receiving a responsefrom the modem.
Check that the modem is plugged in,and if necessary, turn the modem
off,and then turn it back on.

Communication port is invalid or busy.
This error message can occur if the modem is using a newly detected
serial port installed by Windows 98 hardware detection. If this is the
case, change the properties of the Dial-Up Networking connection to use
the new modem settings.

Programs run at StartUp from the StartUp folder can also cause this
error message.

To temporarily disable programs in the StartUp folder, follow these
steps:

Click Start > Run and in the Open: box, type msconfig, then press OK
In Msconfig click the Startup tab. For programs that may control your
modem, click the program's check box to clear it. If you are not sure
whether or not a specific program should be disabled, click to clear
all of the check boxes except for the following check boxes:

ScanRegistry
TaskMonitor
SystemTray
LoadPowerProfile (is loaded twice normally)

This behavior can also occur if you have the Support SerialKey devices
Accessibility option configured to use the COM port to which your modem
is connected. To resolve this:

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel, and then double-click
Accessibility Options
On the General tab, either:

Click to clear the Support SerialKey devices check box

or

Click Settings, click a different COM port in the Serial port box, and
then click OK

Click OK
When you try to use a 3Com (3C562) EtherLink III LAN + 33.6 Modem PC
Card, you may receive the following error message:

Error 630 modem not responding
This behavior can occur if the registry entry for the PC Card device is
incorrect or damaged. To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

Remove the PC Card from the computer
Use Registry Editor to export the following registry key:
HKEY_Local_Machine \ Enum \ PCMCIA

Delete the following registry key:
HKEY_Local_Machine \ Enum \ PCMCIA \ LAN \ Modem
If there is no LAN \ Modem key, delete the PCMCIA key

Shut down Windows 98, and then turn off the computer
Restart the computer
After Windows 98 starts, insert the PC Card and allow Windows 98 to
detect the card

If you receive this error on Windows 98 Second Edition, and you have an
3Com (USR) USB modem, you have 2 options and 1 workaround, until 3Com
releases new drivers:

Option 1: Revert back to Windows 98 (Gold) (uninstall Windows 98 Second
Edition)
Option 2: Install the modem as a serial device
Work-around:

Select Start > Settings > Control Panel
Double-click Modems, and then verify that your modem is listed on the
General tab
Click Diagnostics, select the COM port to which your modem is attached,
and then click More Info
Your modem should now be accessible to other Windows applications for
the remainder of your Windows session.

Note: This will need to be done each time windows has been restarted.

Check the 3Com Web site for further information

Error 633
When you try to start Dial-Up Networking, you receive the following
error message:

Error 633: The modem is not installedor configured for Dial-Up
Networking.To check your modem configuration, double click the
Modemsicon in Control Panel.
This error message can occur if the Telephon.ini file is missing or
damaged. To resolve this issue, please see the following Microsoft
Knowledge Base Articles:

Q191444 (Error Message: The Modem Is Not Installed or Configured
for...)
Q120221 (How to Rebuild the TELEPHON.INI File

Error 645
When you try to connect with Dial-Up Networking (DUN), you may receive
the following error message:

Error 645 - Dial-Up Networking could not complete the connection to the
server.

This is usually caused if the Require encrypted password option is
enabled on the Server Types tab in the connection's properties. Here's
how to fix this:

Select Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications > Dial-Up
Networking
Right-click your connection, and choose Properties
Select the Server Types tab, click to clear the Require encrypted
password check box
Click OK

Error 650
When you try to connect, you receive the following error message:

Modem not responding (Error 650). For troubleshooting information,click
Help.
One workaround suggests enabling a post terminal window. Here's how:

Select Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications > Dial-Up
Networking
Right-click your connection, and choose Properties
On the General tab, click the Configure button
Select the Options tab
Place a check-mark in bring up terminal window after dialing
Just press continue when the post terminal window pops up after you
connect.

Another 650 error:

(650) The computer you have dialed does not respond to a network request
You can get this occasionally when your ISP is busy, and they don't
have a free I.P. address to assign to you.

If you are still having problems:

Although it says that it applies to The Microsoft Network version 2.52,
try the solution from Microsofts Knowledge Base Article Q192420.

Error 745
When you try to start Dial-Up Networking, you receive the following
error message:

Error 745: An essential file is missing.Re-install Dial-Up Networking.
This error message can occur when a Dial-Up Networking dynamic-link
library (DLL) file is missing or damaged. To resolve this issue, please
see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q174579.

More information on troubleshooting modem problems in Windows 98 can be
found in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q190554.

--
=:o\
coma

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "kellyboy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Im curius...why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:44:55 -0600

Whats the advantage of external over internal??

kellyboy

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yves Bellefeuille)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how do I mount my tape drive?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:12:52 -0500

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, "Darren and Marla Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I am adding a tape drive to an existing AHA-1542 SCSI controller.  I
> have one HD already configured and working, but I cannot figure out how
> to access my tape drive.  I have tried:
>
> mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdb /mnt/tape
> mount -t ext2 /dev/tape /mnt/tape

You can mount file systems, but not physical devices. A tape drive
doesn't have a file system on it, therefore you can't mount it. You have
to access it using "tar" or a similar program.

Posted in comp.os.linux.hardware and comp.os.linux.misc only -- don't
post in too many groups, please! Furthermore, comp.os.linux,
comp.os.linux.questions and comp.os.linux.redhat are "bogus"
newsgroups -- they're not on the "canonical" list of comp.* newsgroups.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ottawa, Canada
Francais / English / Esperanto

------------------------------

From: "Howard Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: nec sx notebook will not run in X
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 08:24:42 GMT

=======_NextPart_000_04F8_01C08810.4BB85600

I've been trying to setup Redhat 7.0 on my NEC SX laptop it has a Triden =
9388 2meg video card.  I cannot seem to get it going under X.  Any =
suggestions.
thanks in advance

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

=======_NextPart_000_04F8_01C08810.4BB85600

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've been trying to setup Redhat 7.0 on =
my NEC SX=20
laptop it has a Triden 9388 2meg video card.&nbsp; I cannot seem to get =
it going=20
under X.&nbsp; Any suggestions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>thanks in advance</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A></FONT></DIV=

From: "Shane Baker" <sbakerATpcug.org.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:28:56 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Possible to run Creative Vibra 128 under Linux?

Any advice gratefully received!

TIA

Shane Baker
Canberra - Australia's national capital
_____________________________
sbakerATpcug.org.au - please correct the obvious from my email address if replying
direct
Australian Pets newsgroup - aus.pets  <<>>  Australian Dogs Page -
http://www.pcug.org.au/~sbaker/dogs.htm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Otto Wyss)
Subject: Kernel 2.4.0-test11 does not boot after Mainboard exchange
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:37:44 +0100

A few month ago I exchanged the mainboard Shuttle HOT591P with an
identical one and now the kernel 2.4-test11 doesn't boot anymore.
Allways I get the following:

        ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide0: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA timing Config Success
        ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
ide1: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA timing Config Success
spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

and anything is blocked. Where do I have to look for the defective
hardware?

I have an harddisk IMB-DTTA-31351680 on ide0(master) and a CDRom
MATSHITA CR-587 on ide1(slave). The BIOS detects them right, so I can't
think what's wrong.

O. Wyss

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:39:33 +0200
From: Nigel Kukard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup

Darren and Marla Welson wrote:

> I am adding a tape drive to an existing AHA-1542 SCSI controller.  I have
> one HD already configured and working, but I cannot figure out how to access
> my tape drive.  I have tried:
> mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdb /mnt/tape
> mount -t ext2 /dev/tape /mnt/tape
>
> but no go.  Is it possible I will need to recompile my kernel?  I have added
> the SCSI card since I installed RH6.2.
>
> darren welson
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

a tape drive is a sequential access device, hence you cannot mount it.

Regards
Nigel

------------------------------

From: Boris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:07:28 +0100

Nigel Kukard wrote:

> Darren and Marla Welson wrote:
>
> > I am adding a tape drive to an existing AHA-1542 SCSI controller.  I have
> > one HD already configured and working, but I cannot figure out how to access
> > my tape drive.  I have tried:
> > mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdb /mnt/tape
> > mount -t ext2 /dev/tape /mnt/tape
> >
> > but no go.  Is it possible I will need to recompile my kernel?  I have added
> > the SCSI card since I installed RH6.2.
> >
> > darren welson
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> a tape drive is a sequential access device, hence you cannot mount it.
>
> Regards
> Nigel

use mt-st util ar 'amanda' backup software..

the devices for scsi tape are /dev/stx and /dev/nstx where x is the
device number
also be sure to enable tape support in kernel with modules or in kernel
config..

------------------------------

From: Chris Elvidge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serial Terminal
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:10:18 +0400

Roland Scheike wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to connect a Siemens/Nixdorf TC20 terminal to
> a linux box via the serial line.
>
> My settings of the terminal are:
> v.24/ 38400 / 8n1/ xon,off, ANSI
>
> On my linux-box I setted up inittab with the following:
>
> S0:23:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 38400 ttyS0 ansi
>
> Now I have the problem that there is no response at all.
> Getty is running fine- but there is no login-prompt on the
> terminal.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Btw. I don`t get any entries in my log file concerning
> agetty. Can I change this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roland

IIRC the Xon/Xoff serial (RS232) lines we used to use (25pin plug!) were
wired:

2 -> 3, 3 -> 2, 7 -> 7

and at each end we shorted pins 4 & 5 and 6, 8 & 20.

HIH
Chris

------------------------------

From: "Johnny Luong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing ... again
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:44:08 -0800
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marcell Stoer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Marcell Stoer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Newsgroups:
> comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.hardware Subject: Installing ...
> again Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:46:20 -0800 Organization: none Lines: 35
> GMT X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.72 [en] (WinNT; U) X-Accept-Language:
> en,zh-TW,zh,zh-CN Path:
>
>news.ucsc.edu!newsfeed.berkeley.edu!ucberkeley!logbridge.uoregon.edu!newsfeed.direct.ca!look.ca!news.UVic.CA!not-for-mail
>
> Hi, I decided to re-install RH7 a 4.3Gb drive (after consulting here on
> how to upgrade from a 1Gb drive) and then proceeded to add the power
> tools I wanted.  After that was done I installed some updates.  I've
> done this before  and had no problems.  This time when I tried to
> install the glibc update, I got an error, stating that the cdrom was
> busy and then not found
> (I burned the updates to a CD for convenience). I closed down GnoRPM and
> tried to access the CD from the desktop with no luck.  I decided to
> re-boot.  Just as everything was shutting down (and just before the
> graphical background disappeared), the window with the GnoRPM installer
> shows up and starts installing the glibc update.  Well, that failed of
> course when the entire system went down and after that it would not
> longer boot.
>
> I would get INIT:  ld "1" respawning too fast ... several times.  I did
> some searching on the web and found it would have to be a problem with
> getty or so.  I tried booting from my rescue/boot disk (boot: linux
> rescue).  Same problem.  I tried "linux emergency" and it just hags
> after asking for my root password.  I tried using "linux rescue" with
> the installation floppy and it boots up, but I have no access to my hard
> disk
> (they do show up as being there during the boot process).
>
> So, I am re-installing ... again.
>
> Anyone run into this?  I've searched the web, but couldn't find anything
> to help me.  I want to be better prepared if it happens again ...  Is
> there anyway to prevent a shutdown from terminating a process that can
> apparently cause this much grief?
>
> Marcell
>
> mstoer at uvic dot ca

Ok.  So your having problems getting into your box eh?  If you can see
the hard drives via the boot messages that pop up via linux rescue, then
you can mount your hard drives.  I.e:

mount -t ext2 <some device> <some mount point>

That'll get your file system mounted.  From there, you can try to install
glibc from your CD (you'll probably need to do a force and nodeps in
the options) so that you can boot your machine again.  One way (although
this is very hackish) is to copy everything from /lib (which is on the
cd) to the /lib in your mount point and see if you can boot back in.

After your done, unmount it of course.... before you give it the reboot.
-John

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Three-button PS/2 mouse????????
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Jan 2001 18:32:40 +0800

Alan Robert Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Any advice? I guess MicroSquish only uses 2-buttons, so the market for
> 3-buttons isn't there???

Try adding left handed to that as well :(

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (freedman)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 27 Jan 2001 11:58:12 GMT

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:53:18 GMT, Darren and Marla Welson  wrote:
>I am adding a tape drive to an existing AHA-1542 SCSI controller.  I have
>one HD already configured and working, but I cannot figure out how to access
>my tape drive.  I have tried:
>mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdb /mnt/tape
>mount -t ext2 /dev/tape /mnt/tape
>
>but no go.  Is it possible I will need to recompile my kernel?  I have added
>the SCSI card since I installed RH6.2.
>
>darren welson
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

you don't mount tape drives but read/write  to /dev/st0 or /dev/nst0 (st0
rewinds the tape after access, nst0 does not).  To tar a file to tape you
would do a tar cf /dev/st0 filename.  Also, read the man page for mt, which
allows you to do things like forward space and backspace the tape.
--
Dick Freedman