From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel too big
Date: 28 Mar 2001 15:34:46 -0700

Alberto Arribas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello.
>
> Apologies if this is a really basic question. I have compiled a new
> kernel in order to include the drivers of my new CD writer.
> Unfortunately, when I run lilo to build up the system I get the message
> "kernel too big". It occurs when I use zImage to compile the kernel and
> also when I use bzImage. Could you help me to solve this problem?

You need to move most things out into modules.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Dranthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USR 56k Sportster external faxmodem
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:06:47 GMT

I got an external modem from a friend but the power adapter didn't come
with it and he doesn't know what voltage the AC adapter ran at.  Does
anybody know what voltage level it runs at?  I have taken the thing
apart but to no avail.  When I run it w/ an adapter I have it will turn
the lights on @ 9 volts but it won't be recognized under Linux or
windoze.  I am currently picking through the 3com website but to no
avail.  I want to know what is the voltage so I can decide if it's the
modem or my inept computing that's wrong?

------------------------------

From: The Real Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexar Jumpshot (was Lexmark Jumpshot)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:50:19 -0800

Roy B wrote:

> Several months ago I searched in vain for a Jumpshot driver.  Unless
> something has appeared since then we may need to wait.  With the better USB
> support in the 2.4 kernel, something will appear soon.  I've had to resort
> to using my wife's laptop running Win ME to upload pix.

Lexar Jumpshot, and I'm using the 48-meg 4x device under linux.
http://sackheads.org/~mayfield/usb.html

We used the 2.4.test11 kernel, as required at the time, but the guy says it
will PROBABLY work with the 2.4.1 kernel and may be included with
subsequent kernel releases.

(BTW, the Lexar rebate was supposed to come in 8 weeks.  Supposedly the
check will be mailed 4 months after I sent it in.)

> "Stephen Saville" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Are there any drivers available for the USB Lexmark Jumpshot
> > CompactFlash card reader? I got one with a compactflash card, but I
> > can't decifer how to use it.
> >
> > -Steve
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://zampire,.darktech.org

Bev
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
 It is just a bicycle. It is not dedication and bugs
 in your teeth and dust and rain and mud.  It is not
 madness and harmony and glory and rhythm. It is not
 muscle and flesh and sweat and lycra and wind.
 It is just a bicycle.                    -- Bianchi
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

------------------------------

From: Viet Hoang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem problems with RH Linux 7
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 01:30:13 -0000

Hi,

I have a Zoom PCI 56K V.90 recognized in Windows 2000 Advanced Server as a
Lucent Win Modem. I was trying to install it in RH Linux. Following the
guidelines from this forum, i went thru some steps but couldn't let it go.
I thought i had some problems with the kernel version. Mine is 2.2.16

Should i change the kernel?

One more thing, i was upset about the internal Lucent, so i bought a US
Robotics one, external of course. It was detected by Linux upon boot-up,
then i went to KPPP to query, created a connection, dialed, and got
connected. But then, nothing happens. I don't see any sign of "Connection"
like the little one in the right hand side down corner or watever in
Windows. Then i open Nescape, and it returned the error "hostname not
found". I thought i got connected, and that should be complete, but...

Anyone could give me a hand on this?

Thanks,

Viet Hoang
CSULB, Calif

From: Kyle Keys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TRADE FOR MATROX G200 (PCI)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:27:09 -0600

Anyone who has a pci G200... I would like trade for my 8M Elsa Gloria
Synergy (PCI) (Permedia2 chipset)
They are similarly valued cards, but the matrox are better supported
under linux.  This card would be better suited in a windows or Digital
UNIX box.   Reply by e-mail to discuss a trade.

Thanks,
Kyle Keys

------------------------------

From: Kyle Keys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexmark Z32 oddnes
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:31:19 -0600

Richard Jordon wrote:

> Hiya folks,
>
> I've got a lexmark z32 attached (parport) to my i686 running
> SuSE v7.0.  After I downloaded the driver rpm from the
> lexmark web site everything seemed to install nicely.
>
> It prints if i point AbiWord to lpr -P lexmarkz32, same thing
> for gedit (I usually use gnome 1.2 and sawfish).  However,
> I can't print from emacs or nedit.  Also typing ;
>
> lpr -P lexmarkz32 README.txt (for example)
>
> simply makes the printer beep and then not print anything.
> After these failed prints lpq reports an empty queue.
>
> Has anyone seen this kind of problem?
>
> Thanks in advance
> rjjj

The Z32 driver requires everything to be in POSTSCRIPT format.. Lots of
linux progs use this by default.  I'm guessing emacs and nedit might
print plaintext?  it is indeed an oddity... ran into this setting up a
linux print server for a winblows machine.  ended up telling the win
machine it was printing to a strictly HP laserjet and all worked fine
:-)  The solution is to print to a ps file if possible and print that or
something similar...

Hope that helps,

Kyle Keys

------------------------------

From: "John Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Advice needed---on-board video card
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:36:57 -0800

I have an on-board video card and I am not sure what kind it is.  In W98 I
go into Device Manager and it says my video card is an "ATI 3D Rage Pro
(atir3)."  Also, on my board, I see a chip that says basically the same
thing.  But this latter thing could be my chipset instead of my video card,
right?

If W98 says I have an ATI..., should I believe it and expect my card to not
give RH a hard time?  I know there are programs that will tell you what kind
of BIOS you have; is there something similar for on-board video cards?  What
should I do?

------------------------------

From: Kyle Keys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VESA energy saver with a new 2.4.0 kernel?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:34:03 -0600

"Otto J. Makela" wrote:

> I assume the whole logic behind the VESA energy saving system has
> changed, or something, because the settings in XF86Config-4 which
> worked well with a older kernel no longer (with a hand-compiled 2.4.0)
> switch my monitor to energy saving from the gdm login screen, nor does
> the Gnome screen saver ever switch over to energy saving mode though
> it has been set to do so.  This is a RH7.0 system with XFree86 4.0.1,
> the old kernel was the 2.2.16-22 that came with the system.
>
> I got a report of a similar problem from another user, and then again,
> someone else told me that it works just fine for him.
>
> How should I proceed to figure out what's wrong?
> --
>    /* * * Otto J. Makela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
>   /* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, FAX: +358 42 7655772, ICBM: 60N 25E */
>  /* Mail: Mechelininkatu 26 B 27,  FIN-00100  Helsinki,  FINLAND */
> /* * * Computers Rule 01001111 01001011 * * * * * * * * * * * * */

I had to set several DPMS options in /etc/X11/XF86Config to get mine to
work...

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Hewlett Packard"
        ModelName    "UltraVGA 1280"
        HorizSync    20-90
        VertRefresh  70-80
        Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "StandbyTime"  "5"
        Option "SuspendTime"  "10"
        Option "OffTime"  "30"
EndSection

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: where can I find a video driver?
Date: 29 Mar 2001 01:50:10 GMT

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:20:43 +0800, web staggered into the Black Sun and
said:
>Hi,I have just installed readhat6.1, but it seem doesnot support my
>video card(TNT2). I have a disc contain redhat7 which support ny video
>card. But there is a program which cannot run in redhat7, so I have to
>use redhat6.1.  Would you please tell me where can I find a driver from
>redhat7 disc and how to install the driver in redhat6.1? thanks very
>much.

Upgrade XFree86 (just XFree86) to 3.3.5 at least.
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/ and look for RELNOTES.html for
instructions on doing this.  Or use RedHat 6.2, which is more stable
than either 6.1 or 7.0 in most respects.

What, praytell, won't run on 7.0?  Sounds very suspicious to me.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Newbie ~ cardbus networking question
Date: 29 Mar 2001 01:50:05 GMT

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:32:47 GMT, TJ staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>I had to boot my notebook in Win 2000 (a fine OS in my book) to write this
>message.

We're sorry.

>As stated I am running Linux on a notebook, my network connection is via a
>3Com Cardbus (3CXFEM656C) I can not seem to find drivers for this card (they
>may not exist, not in the HCL) and should I find the drivers I do not
>understand how to install them in Linux.

PCMCIA cards are supported via the pcmcia-cs package.  Did you install
that from the DeadRat CD?  Do that first, do an "/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia
start" , and then insert the card.  You should hear two high beeps, and
then "cardctl ident" should return useful information.

If that didn't work, then it's time to go get the latest pcmcia-cs
package.  http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcmcia-cs/ IIRC, or just
GOogle for it.  It's a tarball, so just do the standard tarball thing.
That's tar xvzf PACKAGE.tar.gz ; cd PACKAGE ; less README INSTALL FAQ ;
./configure ; make ; su -c "make install" [[enter root password]] .

If that still didn't work, the pcmcia-cs main site has a web forum, a
mailing list, and a stack of documentation.  Make use of these
resources.

>I am using shared network access through a router if that makes any
>difference.

Nope.  PCMCIA net cards are configured just like regular net cards once
their modules have been loaded.  The standard way to do things is to
edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts and set up "schemes" so that if you use
the machine in 2 or more places with different network settings, you can
switch between them with "cardctl scheme HOME" and "cardctl scheme WORK"
and "cardctl scheme FOO"....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Serial Port
Date: 29 Mar 2001 01:50:08 GMT

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:05:11 +0200, Jan R Pedersen staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I'm trying to get my modem up running, but it seems like my serial port
>is missing a driver !!!!  When I try dialing nothing happens :-( What
>can be wrong ?
>Linux Mandrake 7.2 on a IBM Thinkpad 380ED
>Serial port is a: 16550A

IBM Thinkpads have some rather interesting power-management features,
many of which aren't documented on the bit-bashing level.  What does
"tpctl --rsx" say about the serial port?  Have you tried the DOS program
PS2.EXE to make sure the serial port is activated?  It is often
deactivated, presumably to save power--the active/inactive setting is
apparently stored in NVRAM somewhere, and tpctl isn't able to change it
permanently on some models or at all on other models.  Don't have tpctl?
Go to http://freshmeat.net/ and get it.  Don't have PS2.EXE?  Hmm, it
should be downloadable from somewhere on IBM's website.

HTH, and please report back... I had a 380D for a year, and never got
the serial port going.  I learned about the PS2.EXE thing a week after
I'd sold the machine :-(

From: Daniel Wolstenholme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with compiling USB into the kernel correctly..
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:15:50 +0000

Walter,
Are you sure you should be using OHCI?  I have a VIA chipset (with a PII)
and I use UHCI.

Dan

Walter Francis wrote:

> I'm running 2.4.1 and I can't seem to get my USB keyboard working quite
> right..  I turned on the OnChip USB support in the bios, and the
> keyboard acts fine in the bios setup, and the LILO prompt, but then
> Linux doesn't seem to notice the keyboard.  I am using a KIA-6100
> motherboard, which has a VIA chipset on it.
>
> I'm trying next turning off the OHCI support..  Any other suggestions
> are appreciated.

Daniel Wolstenholme                    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Acura Integra Modification Page           http://dwolsten.tripod.com/
features: Honda articles, rear wiper controller, and many unique mods

From: Viet Hoang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best modem for RH 7.0
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 02:30:12 -0000

Try US Robotics External.

From: "pdb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lucent NIC with Linksys WAP11
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:05:16 GMT

I am running the above configuration in my dual-boot Win98/suse-7 laptop.
It runs fine under 98 except that about every 2 seconds or so the systray
icon switches from an ""ëxcellent"" radio connection icon to a yellow
triangle-question mark, usually meaning únknown device.  I realize this a
linux board and I have an additional linux question:  I'm a newbie so bear
with me.  I have the linux drivers on the CD.  Now what do I do with them?
How do I convert thefiles on the CD into the kernel so it will recognize the
Lucent?
Thanks for any help you can send my way.
Paul

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Suse vs RH/Mandrake ? (or what's so great about 7.2)
From: Darin Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:10:38 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong) writes:

> Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Whats wrong with paying for SuSE Linux? Geeze, what are you? a cheap skate?
>
>       There is nothing wrong with paying for SuSE.  I'm simply stating
> that if one is already familiar with Red Hat/Mandrake than you might not
> find the investment worth it since it is still just Linux anyways.

I assume SuSE will make 7.1 available on the web in the future?

(it was only $19.99, which is a convenient fee to have actual CD's
instead of network installs or trying to find a cdwriter around that
you can get working after hours)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Modem problems with RH Linux 7
Date: 29 Mar 2001 03:46:05 GMT

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 01:30:13 -0000, Viet Hoang staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I have a Zoom PCI 56K V.90 recognized in Windows 2000 Advanced Server as a
>Lucent Win Modem. I was trying to install it in RH Linux. Following the
>guidelines from this forum, i went thru some steps but couldn't let it go.
>I thought i had some problems with the kernel version. Mine is 2.2.16
>Should i change the kernel?

Did you follow the directions I sent you in E-mail?  Did you write down
the error messages you received upon running the "ltinst" script and post
them to this newsgroup?  Kernel version doesn't matter with the Linmodem
driver at http://www.walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/ as long as it's >
2.2.12, and the tarball even includes an RPM for RedHat systems!

Really, if you couldn't get it to work, I think the driver writers would
like to know about it.  The power of Usenet/the Net in general is that
many people can learn from one person's experiences... don't
short-circuit the power here.

>One more thing, i was upset about the internal Lucent, so i bought a US
>Robotics one, external of course. It was detected by Linux upon boot-up,
>then i went to KPPP to query, created a connection, dialed, and got
>connected. But then, nothing happens. I don't see any sign of "Connection"
>like the little one in the right hand side down corner or watever in
>Windows. Then i open Nescape, and it returned the error "hostname not
>found". I thought i got connected, and that should be complete, but...
>Anyone could give me a hand on this?

Your PPP dialer hasn't picked up the DNS numbers the peer has sent.
kppp or GNOME's PPP dialer or whatever you're using should have an
option somewhere that says "Use peer DNS".  Set this to YES.  Or find
out the DNS numbers you should use (your ISP will tell you if you don't
know already, or can't find them in Doze) and put those into
/etc/resolv.conf like so:

search
nameserver 111.222.333.444
nameserver 555.666.777.888

HTH, search comp.os.linux.networking with http://groups.google.com/ if
you have further questions about PPP under Linux!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Advice needed---on-board video card
Date: 29 Mar 2001 03:46:07 GMT

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:36:57 -0800, John Smith staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I have an on-board video card and I am not sure what kind it is.  In
>W98 I go into Device Manager and it says my video card is an "ATI 3D
>Rage Pro (atir3)."  Also, on my board, I see a chip that says basically
>the same thing.  But this latter thing could be my chipset instead of
>my video card, right?
>
>If W98 says I have an ATI..., should I believe it and expect my card to
>not give RH a hard time?  I know there are programs that will tell you
>what kind of BIOS you have; is there something similar for on-board
>video cards?  What should I do?

Most of these are supported with the Mach64 X-Server that's been in
every Xfree86 since... oh, 1998 or so.  Don't know precisely what you
mean by "my chipset instead of my video card".  Strictly speaking, your
video card is soldered to the board.  The only thing that really matters
to Linux is the chipset that controls the VGA-out.

If you're really worried, go get Tom's RootBoot at
http://www.toms.net/rb/ , boot from that, do a "cat /proc/pci" and see
what you get wrt your video card.  If it says "Mach64" anywhere, you're
fine.  If it says "Rage128" then you would be better off with the newest
distro you can find, like SuSE 7.1 or Mandrake 7.2.  HTH,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert F Fischer Jr)
Subject: Re: USR 56k Sportster external faxmodem
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:54:33 GMT

In a contribution about USR 56k Sportster external faxmodem, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
>pa.netcrusader.net!204.127.161.3!wn3feed!worldnet.att.net!135.173.83.71!wnfilter1
>
>I got an external modem from a friend but the power adapter didn't come
>with it and he doesn't know what voltage the AC adapter ran at.  Does
>anybody know what voltage level it runs at?

Just looked under the desk at my sportster pwr brick, and it appears to supply
9VAC @1000Ma to the modem. If you have put it on a 9VDC diet it probably will not
work.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. J. Clark)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 04:02:14 -0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dranthony) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I got an external modem from a friend but the power adapter didn't come
>with it and he doesn't know what voltage the AC adapter ran at.  Does
>anybody know what voltage level it runs at?  I have taken the thing
>apart but to no avail.  When I run it w/ an adapter I have it will turn
>the lights on @ 9 volts but it won't be recognized under Linux or
>windoze.  I am currently picking through the 3com website but to no
>avail.  I want to know what is the voltage so I can decide if it's the
>modem or my inept computing that's wrong?

The wall wart is rated at 9 VAC @ 1000 MA.

My Sporster works fine under Linux.