From: Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMC EtherEZ IS recognized
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 22:28:36 GMT

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, m.c.dooligan wrote:

> OK.
> I figured it out.
> The SMC EtherEZ is the only isapnp card that I have, so you need to run
> pnpdump to get the basic configuration, then turn it into
> /etc/isapnp.conf.  Then you can run "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" to get the
> card formally recognized by the kernel.  Then you load the smc-ultra
> driver ( modprobe smc-ultra io=0x240 irq=11 on my system).  Then of
> course ifconfig and whatever else you need for the actual link.
>
> Try man -a pnpdump and isapnp.  It was the first time I've had to use
> those programs.

Odd, Same card - I used the NE2000 and compatible, set the IO to 0x300 and
IRQ to 4, and *bing*, I was surfin. You can download a dos tool that will
flash the card to whatever settings you choose, then use netconf to config
the kernel. Should be a snap.

--
Linux, not just a slicer and dicer anymore...

------------------------------

From: "Tan, Li" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: serial mouse not working
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 05:55:14 -0500

Hi, I met problem to use mouse in redhat 7.1 beta, when system reboots, it
can tell there is a generic serial mouse and then configure it, however, it
was actually woking, the pointer didn't move. Did I need other
configuration?

thanks

Li

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 00:48:41 GMT

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 06:22:04, Robert Redelmeier
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Keith R. Williams wrote:
> >
> > Good grief.  I can tell what mode a monitor is running at up
> > to 80-85Hz.  In normal light it takes diverted vision to
> > detect above 72-75Hz, but I can tell.  I'm serious.  I
> > simply cannot look at a monitor set at 60Hz.  It makes my
> > physically ill.
>
> Even with continuous ambient lighting (incandescents, daylight)?
> 60 Hz works fine for me provided there are *NO* fluorescents
> or arc lighting in the area.  When there are, the display
> pulses and it's very hard to take for long.

I have no fluorescents at home and still cannot stomach a
display at 60Hz.  Like I said, it make me ill.  I simply
cannot look at the monitor.

> Still, I prefer mono SVGA.  Sharper and no flicker.

I prefer my UXGA (or whatever it's called) on my ThinkPad
A21p.  If I could find a secondary monitor that would play
that game I'd be happy.  A sharp display like the 15"
1600x1200 on the A21p will simply spoil you.  TFT displays
don't flicker.

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 00:54:58 GMT

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 04:07:43,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister) wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:43:55 GMT, Jonadab the Unsightly One
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Huh.  You mean the difference between refresh rates is *visible*?
> >

> Yep, when I can see the screen vibrate when I am talking to co-workers
> I run their refreash rate up to 75 or better. They thank me when they
> see the clearer image. I have asked if they have headaches at the end
> of the day. About 50% say yes. Seems some people get eye strain
> headaches but do not notice the screen is a little blurry.

Yep.  I took care of our administrative-asistant's display
last week.  She had an IBM P260 and was running it at
1024x768 @60Hz.  I ranked on her for some time about wasting
resources (I don't have a P260, and don'e know if I want
one).  When I set it to 85Hz she could only say "wow".
She's still wasting the tube at 1024x768, but that's another
issue.

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 01:02:54 GMT

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:48:57, brian barrington
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:31:32 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R.
> Williams) wrote:
> >> I've been using a BlackBox 4pt ServSwitch Jr. at work for over a year
> >> now and I will NEVER part with it. No ghosting at all even at
> >> 1600x1280.
> >
> >At 85Hz?  I am very sensitive to flicker (I've told my boss
> >to turn her monitor away - until I showed her how to set it
> >up properly).  75Hz worked in our previous digs, but the
> >lighting in the "new and improved" Dilbert-cubes is
> >horrible. The fluorescent strips beat against monitors (at
> >75Hz) and the glare is impossible.  I really have to go to
> >85Hz at least.  My laptop kinda restricts the resolution to
> >1600x1200.  It looks horrible otherwise.
> >
> Yes, at 85Hz. No Ghosting or flicker problems at all. They have two
> desktop solutions now that you may want to look at, the Servswitch Jr.
> or the Servswitch Spectra. I'm going to be getting the Spectra for
> home since it is only a two port and a little more economic. If you
> need 4 or 8 ports take a look at the Jr.

Thanks.  I know BlackBox well.  I don't mind the boss paying
for the best, as long as it is.  I'm trying to tell the lab
folk that they don't need a KVM for every system system.  I
think I have them convinced, but we'll see.

> www.blackbox.com

I know them well.

> >> I have had it lock up my mouse about 5 times and each time
> >> I just clicked a key command and it was back.
> >
> >That doesn't sound good.  Though I've had far worse problems
> >win Win2K.

> I assume you don't use switch boxes too often. :) Having your mouse
> lock up only five times a year is VERY good and that is only because
> I'm always unplugging my test workstations. If you tried this with a
> Belkin you would be in for a hell of a time. I used to have Belkin at
> my desk and I cursed it every day.

Understood.  I have to reboot Win2K at least once a day.
I'm not happy, but that's life.

> >> I HIGHLY recommend their
> >> products but as you said the price is not for the faint of heart. Even
> >> with the first time buyers discount you will be paying well over $400
> >> for the 4pt WITH cables. That is what everyone forgets about KVM
> >> switches: The cables are also expensive as hell!
> >>
> >> Good luck and hope you can get your employer to foot the bill! :)
> >
> >Not to worry here. ;-)

> Same here. When your engineering something for a 200,000+ client base
> asking for $500 switch box is not too hard... :) Let us know if you
> get a KVM switch and how you like it.

Well, I'm captive talent but the same sort of numbers hold.
I had to bust some bean-counters heads to justify my
top-o-the-line laptop, but the numbers are there.  The anual
maintenance on the software on the thing is more than the
hardware (even at retail).

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: Emil Radulescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel,linux.redhat
Subject: CD-RW on a Pentium 133 w/ 96MB RAM
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 21:44:39 -0400

Dear all,

Can anybody help me with a little piece of info?  I want to buy a CD-RW
for a Redhat 7 box installed on a Pentium 133 MHz with 96 MB RAM and I'm
wondering if this hardware is fast enough for writing CD's.  I plan to
buy a HP 9100i.  Your answer will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Emil Radulescu

------------------------------

From: John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Adaptec 19160 SCSI card support?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 22:41:05 -0400

Melvin,

I have been using the Adaptec 19160 with Linux since last October.  No
problems at all.  Adaptec for some reason does not advertise the 19160
as Linux compatible. I don't know why they don't, it certainly is.

John

------------------------------

From: "J. E. Garrott Sr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD vs Linux
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 19:03:20 -0700

Fabrizio wrote:

> Howdy,
>                 I was browsing this link
> http://www2.giga-byte.com/faq/pro_index.htm in which Gigabyte reports this
> faq:
>
> ---cut and paste from faq--
> GA-7DX
> Q1. Why can't I boot after installing Red Hat Linux 6.2?
> A1. Red Hat Linux 6.2 had some incompatibility issue with Athlon and Duron
> cpus. To get around this, please use Red Hat Linux 7.0 or try the solution
> on the following website:
> http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/ThunderBird-Duron.html .
> ---cut and paste from faq--
>
> Does anyone match a such problem with Suse Linux 6.3?
> How does linux suse (6.3) work with AMD products?
>
> Thank you.
>                 Fabrizio.

If other distributions show the same problem,
the same solution should work.

John

------------------------------

From: Dave S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Suse Linux 6.4 and Intel anypoint 1mb USB
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:30:06 -0000

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get drivers for Intel's
anypoint USB 1mb, of course intel doesn't support linux.
if anybody knows anything I'll greatly appreciate it.

From: Charles Rutledge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need to get IDE Ultra ATA access under kernel 2.2.x
Date: 2 Apr 2001 03:54:27 GMT

Benjamin Scherrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've got a RedHat 6.2 system w/ the kernel upgraded to 2.2.19 but I need
> to be able to produce a kernel that can access an IDE drive on an Ultra
> ATA controller. Unfortunately, for various reasons, I cannot upgrade to a
> 2.4.x kernel in this case. Is there a patch for 2.2.x that will get me
> going?

You need to get the iappropriate IDE backport from ftp.kernel.org in
/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick and patch the kernel.  Then pick your
chip set from the list.

Good Luck.

--

Charles Rutledge

------------------------------

Subject: scsi tape recognised as a disk?!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rolf)
Date: 2 Apr 2001 14:11:07 +1000

hello

Wondering if anyone can help.

Using old hardware but anyway. I have an adaptec 1542 scsi card which I can
load the module for (kernel 2.2.14) using modprobe aha1542. No problem.

Just acquired a scsi dat tape drive of unknown vintage. Rear case says
Tapeware model no. DT-4GBX. Attaching it to the card and modprobe as above
loads the card as before but then detects a scsi disk (!), device /dev/sda.
It tries to 'spin the drive up' amongst other things and reports many
errors, wrong sense key and much other stuff you'd expect when trying to
talk disk ideas to a tape drive. Trying to talk to /dev/st0 returns no such
device. Trying to talk to /dev/sda1 returns device not configured.

I've tried various other tinkerings but to no avail. Any suggestions as to
what to do next? I have no idea where it gets the idea that the scsi device
is a disk.

Thanks

Rolf.

------------------------------

From: "Leo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.forsale.computer.pc-clone,misc.forsale.computers.memory.misc.forsale.computers.storage,misc.forsale.computers.misc,misc.forsale.computers.net-hardware
Subject: High Performance 64 Bit 66 MHz Wide/Ultra160 SCSI RAID Controllers
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 04:22:28 GMT

Hello all,

Just a quick note-- the latest and greatest ICP Vortex array controllers are
now available as follows:

64 Bit 66 MHz Wide/Ultra160 SCSI RAID Controllers:

GDT8523RZ - 2 channel, RAID 0,1,4,5,10
GDT8543RZ - 4 channel, RAID 0,1,4,5,10
GDT8563RZ - 6 channel, RAID 0,1,4,5,10
GDT8623RZ - 2 channel, RAID 0,1,4,5,10, clustering
GDT8643RZ - 4 channel, RAID 0,1,4,5,10, clustering
GDT8663RZ - 6 channel, RAID 0,1,4,5,10, clustering

www.icp-order.com is selling these at the same price as their RN-Series
predecessors.  Same price, faster performance.

The controllers can be operated in both, 32-Bit and 64-Bit PCI slots.
The PCI Bus Clock can be either 33 MHz or 66 MHz.

Each can take up to 256MB, PC-133 ECC memory.

Both the latest controllers *AND* 256MB memory modules are available right
now at www.icp-order.com

The memory modules promoted on our website have been tested and approved by
ICP Vortex Corp. on the RZ series controllers.

Sincerely,

ICP-Order.Com
www.icp-order.com

------------------------------

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boot off Promise Ultra66 controller?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 22:23:27 -0700

Try this: http://www.linux.nf/stepbystep.htm.  Then go to ULTRA-66.

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question: Anyone got ide2 *and* ide3 working on Promise ata100?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 22:26:21 -0700

What kernel version are you using?

If the kernel doesn't support HPT366, then you'll have to
pass them: http://linux.nf/stepbystep.htm - select the ULTRA-66 Step by

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: CD-RW on a Pentium 133 w/ 96MB RAM
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 05:41:37 GMT

Emil Radulescu wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Can anybody help me with a little piece of info?  I want to buy a CD-RW
> for a Redhat 7 box installed on a Pentium 133 MHz with 96 MB RAM and I'm
> wondering if this hardware is fast enough for writing CD's.  I plan to
> buy a HP 9100i.  Your answer will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Burning CD-R's isn't CPU intensive.  If anything, it's I/O intensive,
so what hard disk you have and what mode it's running in is more
important.

Avoid the temptation to copy directly from CD to CD-R.  Master to a
hard disk image, and you will have very little trouble with buffer
underruns.

You may wish to check out HP's support history in deja.  The HP CD
burner division only markets burners made by others, and their support
is the antithesis of the real HP, now known as Agilent.  I prefer
Plextor, myself.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Tony Dingman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Win2k problems with Debian
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 06:02:33 GMT

I have recently installed Debian v2.2 on my computer.

Specifically, I installed it on a second hard drive (i.e. /dev/hdb)

Windows 2000 does not seem to like that at all.

Win2k takes a very long time to boot.  Once in Windows, if I try to open
Windows Explorer, it crashes.

I have tried to un-install the second hard drive in Windows.  That works
untill I reboot, and then windows tries to once again make sense of the 2nd
drive.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Tony D

------------------------------

From: "Greg Francis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Considering Linux implementation instead of HPUX -- Advice needed
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 00:08:50 -0700

Hello,

I'm considering migrating an HPUX server to a Linux implementation and would
like some advice concerning the feasibility of this. The server provides
mail, web storage space, and document storage (via Samba and FTP) for around
4000 students and faculty. There are some applications such as SAS, SPSS,
and compilers also run on this server. Mail access is via Pine and IMAP/POP3
with the bulk being POP3/IMAP. I have been very pleased with HPUX but the
support costs are getting very high on this five year old server (4-way K220
with 1.75GB RAM and 120GB of disk) so I'm looking at alternatives.

What I'm considering doing is replacing the one large HPUX server with a
smaller HPUX server for telnet/Pine access and application support and a
Linux server for the POP3/IMAP and web support. The Linux server would house
all of the user storage space (around 300GB) with the HPUX box accessing it
with NFS. The Linux box would also run Samba to give the Windows NT/2000
workstations in the computer labs access. Ideally, the accounts would be
authenticated using Kerberos through Active Directory with NIS or LDAP being
alternatives in the event Active Directory isn't feasible for us by then.

I currently run a combination of HPUX, Linux, and Windows NT servers. Linux
has been a very good solution us for smaller tasks like mail hubs, Usenet,
and small scale file servers. This is the first time that I've considered
Linux for a large scale server (large for us at least). While I think that
Linux is probably up to the task, I need to confirm that what I'm
considering is feasible before I commit to the project.

What I'm considering for the Linux box (probably running Red Hat 6.2 or 7.0)
is a Dell PowerEdge 6450 2x700MHz Xeon, 2GB RAM, and 4x18GB disks. It would
connect to a Dell PowerVault 201S with 8x36GB disks using one of Dell's RAID
controllers with the possibility of a second PowerVault 201S if needed. The
reason I'm thinking Dell is that I currently have HP, Micron and Dell
servers in my computer center and I would prefer to limit the number of
hardware vendors that I have to deal with. I'm open to alternatives though
as long as I get a high level of support, good performance, and high
reliability.

A couple of questions about using Linux for what I'm doing:

1) How well does Linux do multiple processors?
2) How well does Linux handle RAID? How about the Dell RAID controllers
(Quad PERC 2)?
3) How well does Linux handle hundreds of Samba connections?
4) How is Dell's commitment to Linux? How about their driver support?
5) How is Linux's reliability and performance under high loads?
6) I've seen info on LVM for Linux. Is it viable at this time?
7) What are the limitations on the size of mount points or hard disks under
Linux?
8) What are some gotchas that might be blatently obvious to others but not
me?

Any advice, warnigs, lessons learned, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I
don't even care if vendors call or e-mail me to tell me how great their
solution is over what I'm considering.

Thanks,
Greg

--
Greg Francis
Unix System Administrator

------------------------------

From: Christian Monfort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi tape recognised as a disk?!
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:34:27 +0200

Rolf wrote:

> hello
>
> Wondering if anyone can help.
>
> Using old hardware but anyway. I have an adaptec 1542 scsi card which I can
> load the module for (kernel 2.2.14) using modprobe aha1542. No problem.
>
> Just acquired a scsi dat tape drive of unknown vintage. Rear case says
> Tapeware model no. DT-4GBX. Attaching it to the card and modprobe as above
> loads the card as before but then detects a scsi disk (!), device /dev/sda.
> It tries to 'spin the drive up' amongst other things and reports many
> errors, wrong sense key and much other stuff you'd expect when trying to
> talk disk ideas to a tape drive. Trying to talk to /dev/st0 returns no such
> device. Trying to talk to /dev/sda1 returns device not configured.
>
> I've tried various other tinkerings but to no avail. Any suggestions as to
> what to do next? I have no idea where it gets the idea that the scsi device
> is a disk.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rolf.

Did you configure your kernel so that it can handle tape drives ?
I did this mistake once, wondering why my tape drive wasn't recognized - but
it didn't
take it for a disk...

Christian.