Linux-Hardware Digest #639, Volume #14           Tue, 17 Apr 01 15:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Promise UDMA-100 + Red Hat 6.2 ("Niko Sünderhauf")
  Re: Install a NIC in Linux (Joel Comeaux)
  Re: Promise UDMA-100 + Red Hat 6.2 (Archisman Rudra)
  Reach maximum mount count? ("Jarmo Uusi-Maahi")
  strange reboots under linux but not under windows (":A00ER-BB7N4GD0-UEXGAFAF")
  Re: ide-scsi module not loading at boot (Uwe Malzahn)
  errorous ISDN installation ("Max")
  Re: ide-scsi problem? (Julian Gough)
  Re: Anyone got Abit kt7a working w/o problems? (Torsten Clay)
  Re: Microsoft gets hard ("JS PL")
  Via82c driver for sound ("Richard A. Bilonick")
  Re: Microsoft gets hard ("JS PL")
  Recommendation for Cheap Soundcard for RH 7.0 ("Richard A. Bilonick")
  Re: What's wrong with this box on a beowulf-type cluster ? ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? (Joeri Sebrechts)
  Re: Soundblaster 16 PCI with Mandrake 7.1 ("lobotomy")
  Re: monitors (Joeri Sebrechts)
  Re: Recommendation for Cheap Soundcard for RH 7.0 (Tom Roberts)
  Re: Via82c driver for sound (Markku Kolkka)
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? (Milton)
  cdrecord and LG CED 8080B problem (Serban-Mihai Popescu)

From: "Niko Sünderhauf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise UDMA-100 + Red Hat 6.2
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:16:27 +0200

Hallo,

I am using a Promise UDMA-100 onboard controller (board: Asus A7V) for my
harddisk. The installation of Read Hat 6.2 fails with "Found no device to
install new filesystem".
Are there any soloutions? (I found a Red Had 6.0 boot image for UDMA66 but
it did not work, as I expected)

Thanks in advance.

    Niko

------------------------------

From: Joel Comeaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Install a NIC in Linux
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:26:11 -0500

Have you tried http://www.davicom8.com/faq.asp?  There is a wealth of
information there.

Joel Comeaux

Subject: Re: Promise UDMA-100 + Red Hat 6.2
From: Archisman Rudra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Apr 2001 11:35:35 -0400

I had a similar problem for Redhat 7.0 and one of the HowTo's yielded
the solution. The problem is linux by default looks for only two ide
channels ide0 and ide1. You need to give a boot time parameter to lilo
to recognize the other channels. After a little bit into the
installation process, do a alt-F2 to get a shell; and do a
"cat /proc/pci" to get the list of pci devices. Find the device
corresponding to the Promise controller. There will be a list of 5
numbers in hex. On my machine, the top two are 0x9800 and
0x9400. Anyway, call these numbers a, b, c, d, e. Then the command
line you have to pass the kernel is:
ide2=a,b+2 ide3=c,d+2 Of course, if you don't have anything in the
Ultra secondary channel, the ide3 is superfluous. For example, I give
parameter : ide2=0x9800,0x9402

Each a, b, c, d and e appear in a separate line. Sometimes a second
number in each line in parenthesis. Ignore these. Just use the ones
outside the parentheses.

Write down these numbers and reboot and pass lilo this option...

Hope this helps.

archi

------------------------------

From: "Jarmo Uusi-Maahi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Reach maximum mount count?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:04:31 +0300

Hi everyone,

maybe this question feels silly, but I'm new with Linux and
I ask it anyway:

When I boot my RH7 I saw this message:
"Reach maximum mount count, check forced"

(I have seen this message only 2 or 3 times in week.)

What this mean? Is there something wrong? And should I
be worry?

Thank's already.

Jarmo Uusi-Maahi

------------------------------

From: ":A00ER-BB7N4GD0-UEXGAFAF" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: strange reboots under linux but not under windows
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:56:50 +0200

Hi!

I have a strange and annoying problem. I've installed a dual boot
system with win98 and Red Hat 6.1 on my PII machine. For about 6
months it has been running fine without problems. But now I get
strange reboots when I try to load the Linux OS. Most often it reboots
right in the middle of the startup.

It says
Freeing unused kernel memory: 64 k freed
INIT version 2.77 booting

and then exactly here... it reboots.

I tried to isolate the problem by changing the hdd to another machine.
This time I didnt get any reboots when I tried to load Linux.

If anyone has a clue to what could be causing these problems, please
enlighten me!

HVL

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Uwe Malzahn)
Subject: Re: ide-scsi module not loading at boot
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:56:02 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "BetrOffDed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> In article <9alv74$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Arash Sayadi"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am running RH Linux 6.1 with Linux Kernel 2.2.12.
>>
>> In my attempt to setup all my original hardware to work with Linux, I am
>> trying to setup my CD-RW.  I have read the CD-RW HOW-TO and know that my
>> kernel was compiled with the ide-scsi module.
>>
>> Although after boot time in an xterm I can type:
>>
>>      # insmod ide-scsi
>>
>> to get the CD-RW to work properly, I do not know how to automate this
>> task for bootup.  Can anyone give me a hand here.  I would greatly
>> appriciate it.
>
> quick and dirty way would be to add
>
> /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
>
> to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

clean and still rather quick: add ide-scsi to /etc/modules

Cheers,
Uwe

--
Vegetarians don't live longer -
they just look older.

------------------------------

From: "Max" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: errorous ISDN installation
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:27:27 +0100

Hello

I want to install my Teles PNP ISDN card on SUSE Linux, but after entering
the proper configuration (IRQ and Port number) and testing, Yast shows me
always the following error message:
hisax: device or resource busy

What can it be?

Thanx

------------------------------

From: Julian Gough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ide-scsi problem?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:23:47 +0100

I've 'solved' the problem,  if you have anything similar please read on,
I have seen many problems related on newsgroups but no real answer.
This is my hypothesis.

1) There is a bug in ide-scsi.  I have no idea what it is but it
sometimes causes lockups.
1a) The only way to cure these lockups is a reboot,  as ide-scsi is set
up at a very low lovel at boot time passed to the boot loader as an
option.
2)  Using cdrecord <= 1.6.1  does not encounter this problem,
presumably it does not use certain scsi commands,  or combinations /
variations of.
3) Using more up to date versions of cdrecord cause lockups when using
the '-pad' option,  at the end of recording when fixating (or at the end
of writing the TOC).
4) This is not a bug in cdrecord,  but a bug in ide-scsi, hence
difficulty in finding a problem with the upgrade of cdrecord (with the
'- pad' option thrown in for good measure).

I could be wrong,  but this is consistent with my experiences,  and with
the experiences of others I've read about on newsgroups.

Julian

--
~~~~~~~~~
Julian Gough

------------------------------

From: Torsten Clay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone got Abit kt7a working w/o problems?
Date: 17 Apr 2001 09:49:14 -0700

> Everything's set conservatively. If anyone has an Abit kt7a running
> without problems I would appreciate knowing about it. At least I would
> know it could be done.

I've been using the following config for a couple of months, works
great so far:

KT7A-RAID + 1G tbird (133 FSB)
512M
2X IBM ATA100 drive, CDROM, floppy
32M Elsa GeForce2 GTS with NVidia drivers (4X AGP)
D-Link enet
SB Live value
SCSI card- so far only used in W98 with scanner
Mandrake 7.2/kernel 2.4.3

Torsten

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft gets hard
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:38:17 -0400

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:56:26 GMT, David Ehrens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Since you actually are or "were" classified as a Microsoft Business
> >Partner,
> >> I can safely assume that your now "extinct" like the other 32,000 that
> >he
> >> claims are now extinct, since all business partners of Microsoft are
> >> supposedly EXTINCT?   Or could it be that there are really NO business
> >
> >Jeez. You've really got to cut back on your coffee! What I was saying is
> >that Microsoft's claims of x zillion business partners really don't mean
> >much since many, like me, found the programs to be worthless. I'm sure
> >there are many out there that did not bail (as we did). I was not
> >talking about extinction and, if you reread what I wrote, I doubt you
> >will even find the word there.
> >
> >Got that?
> >

> Don't be too hard on JS PL.  He tends to make really stupid statements
> that show his poor judgement and lack of maturity.  He has a real tendency
> to call names and say bad words too. This has caused him to get passed up
> by people who are choosing who to do business with.

and your a big fat baby!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:36:31 -0400
From: "Richard A. Bilonick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Via82c driver for sound

When I try to load the via82c sound driver under Linux RH 7.0 the system
hangs. This happens during reboot and/or using sndconfig. Has anyone
gotten the via chipset to produce sound?

Rick Bilonick

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:43:34 -0400

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS PL wrote:
> >
> > "David Ehrens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:aFHC6.18762$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Microsoft partners include companies who have several MS-certified
> > > (MCSE, MCP, MSD) employees on staff, or who at one point were
interested
> > > in riding the Microsoft wave. I am one of the many former "paper"
> > > partners that MS had at one point. The advantages to these programs
were
> > > minimal, aside from the legitimacy that certification confers on
> > > individual technicians. For instance, we had to pay distributor prices
> > > 5-10x higher than Compaq, Dell, and Gateway for product, were
> > > continually beat up by educational "partners" who were selling product
> > > illegally at academic discount prices, and as a company outside an
urban
> > > hub, were routinely passed over (in referrals) in favor of preferred
> > > partners in major cities, in some cases in other states. It was a big
> > > disappointment. I know others who bailed out of various MS programs.
> > >
> > > I don't care if Microsoft can prove they have 500,000,000 partners.
> > > Their allegiances lie with companies in their size and weight class,
not
> > > small consulting or integration outfits.
> >
> > So before we get away from the assinine Linvocate statement that "there
is
> > ONE word for a Microsoft Business partner, extinct"
> > Since you actually are or "were" classified as a Microsoft Business
Partner,
> > I can safely assume that your now "extinct" like the other 32,000 that
he
> > claims are now extinct, since all business partners of Microsoft are
> > supposedly EXTINCT?   Or could it be that there are really NO business
> > partners who are extinct, or such a small percentage that it mirrors the
> > natural rate of extinction?
> >
> > You see, it's these stupid assed statements that will be the death of
Linux.
> > Normally when someone is choosing between two people to do business
with,
> > they WON'T choose the guy that's bad mouthing and making proposterous
> > statements against the competitor.  Statements like, "there's one word
> > for......." show nothing but immaturity and poor judgement. Not good
> > qualities.
> Just out of general curiousity, what is your occupation and what company
> do you work for?

I do things which truly astound and bill for it.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:44:24 -0400
From: "Richard A. Bilonick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Recommendation for Cheap Soundcard for RH 7.0

Because I'm having problems with the on-board Via sound system, is there
a CHEAP sound board that would work well with Red Hat 7.0 and is easy to
install?

Rick Bilonick

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this box on a beowulf-type cluster ?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:06:58 -0600

> I have a small cluster of 6 AMD boxes, and I run PVM programs on top of
> them. One of the boxes is giving me problems, and I don't know what is
> wrong. The configuration of all the boxes is:
>
> ASUS A7V MB AMD Duron 1000MHz 128 MB RAM
> RH 7.0 Kernel 2.4.3

  1 GHz Duron?  Sounds like an overclocked processor.  Try turning it down
to the rated speed, and see if that solves the problem.

steve

------------------------------

From: Joeri Sebrechts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:19:36 GMT

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> The first one was a cheapie that came with the system, and the
> worse-than-usual humidity we had the first summer I had it
> just killed it.  (We had a week of solid rain, thunderstorms
> 3-6 hours a day.  Closest thing Ohio has ever seen to a
> monsoon.)  The second keyboard I've just worn out by heavy
> use over the subsequent couple of years; some of the keys
> stick, and the left control key is plain broken.  I'm going
> to get another cheapy to hold me over until I'm ready to
> spring for an Avant keyboard, which I probably won't do
> until I can afford to get a dehumidifier also, to prevent
> its being prematurely dammaged if we have another humid
> summer.

You sound like a man in need of an original ibm ps/2 keyboard. They're
almost indestructible.
Go find 'em, they're cheap secondhand, and often in near mint condition.
If you can stand the clicking sound the keys make, you'll be more than
happy. Regular keyboards (like cherry's and so on) suck in comparison to
the superb tactile feedback of the ibm keyboard. The ibm tells you when
you've pressed the key far enough with a very satisfying click.
Plus, if you get a burglar, you can grab something close to you to knock
him out with this time, because these keyboard weigh a LOT.
I'm typing this e-mail on one right now, and as far as I can tell the
only way I can do better than this is spend as much on another keyboard
as I would spend on a TV.

have a nice day,
Joeri Sebrechts

------------------------------

From: "lobotomy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster 16 PCI with Mandrake 7.1
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:29:55 GMT

Just try 'modprobe es1371' from the console and see what happens, that
*should* work.

--
PC Chips actually goes by many names. PCChips = Ability = Alton = Amptron =
Aristo = Asia Gate = Asiatech = Assa = Atrend = Elpina = Eurone = Fugu =

------------------------------

From: Joeri Sebrechts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: monitors
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:31:31 GMT

Brad Camroux wrote:

> Hello.
> I'm new to this group, and to Linux in general.  But I am wondering how I
> can change my monitor display settings from within the root account (or any
> account for that matter).  I have an ASTVision 5L monitor, but it wasn't
> listed in the installation and setup, so I chose the generic monitor.
> Unfortunately all I have now is 640x480 resolution, which is way too low.
> How can I fix this without running the installation again?

log in as root
copy your old /etc/X11/XF86Config to somewhere else, because this file
will be edited by the next step, and you want to be able to always grab
back to the version that at least showed you something
from the command prompt, run XF86Setup (should exist on any distro, as
it's part of Xfree)
and it's all point and click from there
make sure that instead of picking a monitor from the list, that you
select custom and fill in the horizontal and vertical refresh ranges
(which are found in your screen's manual, or otherwise on the net), it
will calculate optimal settings from those.
At a certain point you'll see a bunch of buttons marked with
resolutions. Mark any you want, but make sure you also mark 640*480 to
fall back on. (btw, if you don't know, to switch between resolutions
hold down ctrl+alt and press - or +)

good luck,
Joeri Sebrechts

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:31:56 -0500
From: Tom Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommendation for Cheap Soundcard for RH 7.0

"Richard A. Bilonick" wrote:
> Because I'm having problems with the on-board Via sound system, is there
> a CHEAP sound board that would work well with Red Hat 7.0 and is easy to
> install?

I tried two $15 soundcards but could get neither of them to work with RH 7:
ESS Solo1, Crystal CS1481 (board by Pine IIRC).

I also had trouble with a $27 soundcard: Creative Labs Ensoniq AudioPCI --
playback was fine, but it introduced a noisy crackle into recordings. I
persevered and installed the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA), and
it now works very well.

        http://www.alsa-project.org

Hint: the standard media player and the play command both introduce CLICKS
between files; the alsaplayer does not. I get no such clicks in the file when
recording using "rec".

This is not audiophile quality, but it is at least as good my $300 bookshelf
system (in an A/B comparison between CD and MP3 I cannot reliably tell the
difference).

Tom Roberts     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Via82c driver for sound
Date: 17 Apr 2001 21:00:42 +0300

"Richard A. Bilonick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> When I try to load the via82c sound driver under Linux RH 7.0 the system
> hangs.

I had this same problem. The best solution is to install the ALSA
sound drivers (http://www.alsa-project.org). You can make the standard
sound drivers to work by enabling Sound Blaster emulation in BIOS
setup, but the sound quality sucks.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Milton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:00:45 -0400

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:19:36 GMT, Joeri Sebrechts
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You sound like a man in need of an original ibm ps/2 keyboard. They're
>almost indestructible.
>Go find 'em, they're cheap secondhand, and often in near mint condition.
>If you can stand the clicking sound the keys make, you'll be more than
>happy. Regular keyboards (like cherry's and so on) suck in comparison to
>the superb tactile feedback of the ibm keyboard. The ibm tells you when
>you've pressed the key far enough with a very satisfying click.
>Plus, if you get a burglar, you can grab something close to you to knock
>him out with this time, because these keyboard weigh a LOT.
>I'm typing this e-mail on one right now, and as far as I can tell the
>only way I can do better than this is spend as much on another keyboard
>as I would spend on a TV.

I gotta agree with this 100%
I'm typing this, on my trusty old Part # J2 Model M.

God damn, they don't make em like they used to.

Date 22SEPT86

Except for the cigarette burn on the key T , as good as new.
( Yeah I know you shouldn't smoke or drink coffee while computing, but I
do both, and even spilt coffee on the keyboard a couple of times too)

The only computer component, I really got my moneys worth outta.
And it looks like it's good to go for another 15 years.

My first true love, I'm gonna miss her dearly when she finally goes.

  Milton B. Hewitt
  CAUCE Member - http://www.cauce.org
  Proud supporter of the Microsoft Boycott Campaign
  http://www.vcnet.com/bms/

From: Serban-Mihai Popescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrecord and LG CED 8080B problem
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:09:54 GMT

Hello there,

I'm striving to burn audio CDs with the Goldstar 8080B drive. by using
cdrecord 1.9. The system is a 350MHz PII running the patched 2.2.16 RH
kernel, recompiled with the ide-scsi support.

When I run `cdrecord -scanbus` I get the correct identification of the
burner. However, when I run `cdrecord -v speed=1 dev=0,1,0 -audio -pad
track*.wav`, I get the cryptic error message attached at the end of my
post (since I'm away from the linux box, I copyied the message
[EMAIL PROTECTED] posted on Jan. 31. He reported the very same problem
without any success. I've searched comp.os.linux.hardware for clues, but
I found only people posting the issue and nobody coming with a
solution).

Please note that:
1) The Goldstar device is listed on the CDrecord home page as fully
supported.
2) I tried speed=8, 4, 2 and 1 with the same results.

If you have this model and successfully burned audio CDs, please help
me.

Thank you.

Serban

The error message is:

Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:   0 of  42 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1:
scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1B 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 25 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 64 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x64 Qual 0x00 (illegal mode for this track) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) illegal block length

write track data: error after 0 bytes
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Writing  time:    5.021s
Fixating...
cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd:
retryable error
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 2C 04 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x2C Qual 0x04 (current program area is empty) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 480s
Fixating time:    0.001s
cdrecord: Input/output error. mode select g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable
error
CDB:  55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 1 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.