Linux-Hardware Digest #647, Volume #14           Wed, 18 Apr 01 20:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ? (Paul Repacholi)
  ICP Vortex Array Controllers and Memory ("Leo")
  Re: Via82c driver for sound ("VAVAVAVOEM")
  boot from iso cd hangs on redhat 7.1 ("Kirk R. Wythers")
  Re: Info about Lexmark Z42, please (Steve Wampler)
  Re: cdrecord and LG CED 8080B problem (root)
  Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ? (Tim Hanson)
  Printer Problems... ("Oliver B. Tupman")
  LANSurfer Combo 56K + 10/100 i-Port ("Jeff")
  Geforce2mx dying on logout from X ("Gerard H. Pille")
  Re: Printer Problems... (Kwan Lowe)
  Smart Card reader, anyone? (Leonid A. Broukhis)
  IDE 2 SCSI Converter? ("Ryn")
  Re: 2.4.3 kernel / new aic7xxx driver problem (Bruce Garlock)
  Re: ATA100 drive with ATA33 controller (Mike Castle)
  Re: Modem trouble (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Graphic Card Problem (S3 ProSavage PM133) ("lobotomy")
  HOTLINE port 5500 and IPCHAINS ("dubcaller")
  USB audio and speakers (Jan Hendrik Mangold)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 19 Apr 2001 03:35:29 +0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie) writes:

> This happened on the USN cruiser Yorktown - look up comp.risks
> archives for the gory details. You guys do all read comp.risks,
> don't you?

Giggle...

And while you are perusing the comp.risks archive, not the NT in the
factory story. Submitted anon, but the clues are Big Tellow and
Oklahoma.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

From: "Leo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ICP Vortex Array Controllers and Memory
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:51:22 -0400

Greetings all,

Just a quick note to ICP Vortex customers:  The new RZ series controllers
(Ultra160) have now been shipping for weeks.  I have heard nothing but
positive feedback from our customers that have deployed these for their
Linux based production deployments.

One of the initial questions we received from customers buying the new ICP
Vortex RZ series cards (and other ICP controllers) was what 256MB modules
are certified.  We have send memory modules in 64MB, 128MB, and 256MB sizes
in for testing to ensure the modules sold with our controllers will work
optimally with no issues.

If you need memory for your ICP controllers, or want value prices for new
controllers visit us at www.icp-order.com.  We are commited to providing
high availability solutions with the best quality SCSI and fibre RAID
controllers.

Use our "Contact Us" form should you have specific configuration questions,
etc.  We use them internally for our own web servers (Linux and Windows
2000) and for our own customers server deployments and can typically answer
any configuration questions immediately.

Sincerely,

Leo Squire
ICP-Order.Com
www.icp-order.com
(724) 869-4933

------------------------------

From: "VAVAVAVOEM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Via82c driver for sound
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:01:12 +0200

have been trying this but ./configure says it cannot find version.h in the
directory it wants it to be?
how can i change this dir

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: boot from iso cd hangs on redhat 7.1
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:35:15 GMT

I'm trying to upgrade a dual boot system from redhat 7.0 to 7.1. I'm
booting from the install cd. I have a ultra 66 controller so at the boot

prompt I type linux ide2=0x1090 so the redhat can find the ide drive.
The installer starts booting up to the following, where it stalls:

hde: 58633344 sectors (30020 MB) w/1900KiB Cache, CHS=58168/16/63,
UDMA(66)
hdd: No disk in drive
dhh: 244736kb, 239/64/32 CHS, 4096 kBps, 512 sector size 2941 rpm
Partition check:
hde:

at this point the whole process comes to a screeching halt.... any ideas

as to what is going on?

Kirk

------------------------------

From: Steve Wampler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Info about Lexmark Z42, please
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:38:52 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Lexmark does not provide a Linux driver for the Z42 inkjet printer.
> Does anyone know whether someone is developing one? This seems to be a
> good-value printer, if only it had a Linux driver.

Have you looked at the Lexmark web site?  I found a Linux driver for
the Z52 there and it's quite nice.

--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrecord and LG CED 8080B problem
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:06:49 +0000

Serban-Mihai Popescu wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I'm striving to burn audio CDs with the Goldstar 8080B drive. by using
> cdrecord 1.9. The system is a 350MHz PII running the patched 2.2.16 RH
> kernel, recompiled with the ide-scsi support.
>
> When I run `cdrecord -scanbus` I get the correct identification of the
> burner. However, when I run `cdrecord -v speed=1 dev=0,1,0 -audio -pad
> track*.wav`, I get the cryptic error message attached at the end of my
> post (since I'm away from the linux box, I copyied the message
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] posted on Jan. 31. He reported the very same problem
> without any success. I've searched comp.os.linux.hardware for clues, but
> I found only people posting the issue and nobody coming with a
> solution).
>
> Please note that:
> 1) The Goldstar device is listed on the CDrecord home page as fully
> supported.
> 2) I tried speed=8, 4, 2 and 1 with the same results.
>
> If you have this model and successfully burned audio CDs, please help
> me.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Serban
>
> The error message is:
>
> Starting new track at sector: 0
> Track 01:   0 of  42 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1:
> scsi sendcmd: retryable error
> CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1B 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 25 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 64 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x64 Qual 0x00 (illegal mode for this track) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) illegal block length
>
> write track data: error after 0 bytes
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> Writing  time:    5.021s
> Fixating...
> cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd:
> retryable error
> CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 2C 04 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x2C Qual 0x04 (current program area is empty) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 480s
> Fixating time:    0.001s
> cdrecord: Input/output error. mode select g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable
> error
> CDB:  55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
> cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 1 gets.
> cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

Try turning off swap (swapoff -a)
This somehow helped in my case

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:22:11 -0700
From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Greg Cox wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> <snip>
>

> > I thought that a few years ago, the U.S.Navy tried a computer
> > controlled battleship, and the computers ran Windows NT (probably 3.51
> > in those days), and it crashed so bad the ship had to be towed into
> > port. (I may not have the facts exactly correct, but it was pretty
> > much like this.) Maybe the computers were not exactly your
> > bargain-basement PCs, but the software must have been. If the U.S.Navy
> > is dumb enough to use Microsoftware in a battle-critical system, why
> > would not some private industry be just as dumb?
> >

> The version of the story I heard was that the first ship of a new class
> of Navy ship was out testing a new ship's control system programmed
> using a custom database running on NT4 and the DB software crashed, not
> NT.  I believe the story goes that the captain said in his report that
> the DB software crashed a couple of times and was successfully restarted
> but the ship was towed in on the third crash with the system left in its
> crashed state for later analysis by the developers...

That's not true.

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/19.88.html

--
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
                -- Oscar Wilde

   With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

------------------------------

From: "Oliver B. Tupman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer Problems...
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:12:23 +0100

Hi there people,

Having got my nice and new shiny Samsung ML-4500 laser printer I
proceeded to plug it into my Linux box (RH 6.2, kernel 2.2.14)
and installed the ghostscript drivers.

And it worked! Yipee says I.

Couple of days later I decide its time to print some 'Can you
give me a job' letters. The printer doesn't work.

All I get is the following lines from syslog:

Apr 18 22:11:09 pc206-bri7 kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]
Apr 18 22:11:10 pc206-bri7 kernel: parport0: Printer, Samsung ML-4500
Apr 18 22:11:10 pc206-bri7 kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling).

What does the last line mean?

When I try and print a document, the data light on the printer flashes
once but no document is printed.

If I try a "cat > /dev/lp0", the data light flashes every time I hit
enter, but still no printing.

Any ideas? I'd guess its a problem with parport or something, but I've
looked in the kernel documentation's parport.txt but I can't seem to
glean anything from it.

What bothers me is that originally it worked!

Cheers,

 Oliver B. Tupman.

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LANSurfer Combo 56K + 10/100 i-Port
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:57:25 -0700

Any news on a driver for this (it's a PCMCIA card)??  RedHat 7.1 pcmcia boot
disk doesn't seem to get it and I can't find any reference to it anywhere on
the net.  It's by New Media Technology Corporation, model NMT05622

any help greatly appreciated (otherewise I'm going to have to return it!)

jeff

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:52:26 +0200
From: "Gerard H. Pille" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Geforce2mx dying on logout from X

this is on an Abit VP6 with 2 Intel PIII 866, and an Elsa Geforce2mx.

Each time I find the following line in dmesg:

 kernel: mtrr: no MTRR for d0000000,2000000 found

Just switched to 2.4.3 to make sure, but no luck, using Nvidia's
otherwise Xellent NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-769

Or would this be software?

Thanks, girlz
--

Gerard H. Pille

------------------------------

From: Kwan Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer Problems...
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:05:09 GMT

Oliver B. Tupman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there people,

> When I try and print a document, the data light on the printer flashes
> once but no document is printed.

> If I try a "cat > /dev/lp0", the data light flashes every time I hit
> enter, but still no printing.

> Any ideas? I'd guess its a problem with parport or something, but I've
> looked in the kernel documentation's parport.txt but I can't seem to
> glean anything from it.

> What bothers me is that originally it worked!

How are you printing documents?
cat > /dev/lp0 will read from standard input (i.e., your console). Try
doing:
  man -t ls | lpr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leonid A. Broukhis)
Subject: Smart Card reader, anyone?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:16:11 +0000 (UTC)

Are the smart card readers that come with AmEx Blue and Smart VISA supported?

        Leo

--
*** Lifelike Entity Optimized for Nocturnal Infiltration and Destruction
aka Leonid

------------------------------

From: "Ryn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE 2 SCSI Converter?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:19:32 -0400

Hello folks,

I would like to convert my linux box into an NFS/Samba server. Due to the
high cost of SCSI disks, I would instead like to use several Large IDE
disks in a 0+1 configuration. I am looking for some type of external device
that houses IDE disks, and presents a 50/68 pin SCSI connection.

Has anyone found/built something cheap to do this?

Thanks for any information,

- Ryan

------------------------------

From: Bruce Garlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.4.3 kernel / new aic7xxx driver problem
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:36:28 -0400

Markus Kossmann wrote:

> "Bruce S. Garlock" wrote:
> >
> > My 2.4.3 kernel comes with version 6.1.5 of the new Adaptec driver.  I
> > have tried to update this to the most recent version, 6.1.11 as seen on
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/ however, this site does not have
> > the patches for 6.1.6, 6.1.7, or 6.1.8 for the 2.4.3 kernel.  Does
> > anyone know how to get in touch with the site maintainer (his email is
> > not listed on the site), or how I can get these patches to bring my
> > driver to 6.1.11?
> >
> Just get linux-aic7xxx-6.1.11-2.4.3.patch. It should apply clean against
> 2.4.3 with 6.1.5 build in.
> --
> Markus Kossmann
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tried that, and it does not work.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Bruce

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Castle)
Subject: Re: ATA100 drive with ATA33 controller
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:55:03 GMT

In article <_QLC6.265$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rinaldi J. Montessi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Mike Castle wrote:
>> WD - drives of death
>Religion :-)  I've been using WD's for years.  They made a bad batch a
>year or so ago but recalled them all.

Several bad batches over the last several years.  Not just a single batch.
(You've probably never had to replace WD's in over 200+ machines, did you?)

Btw, I *used* to be a very big fan of WD.  Always bought their drives.  But
no more.

Also, go into a recent kernel into the drivers/ide directory, and do:

grep WDC *.[ch]

Look at all the black listed WDC drives.  Why?  Because they are pieces of
crap.

Go to a linux kernel archive, and do searches for:

western digital andre

and see what the maintainer of the IDE subsystem has to say about how WD
fails to follow specs and not unusual for them to eat data.

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  and be right all the time, or not work at all

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modem trouble
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:22:00 GMT

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:01:46 +0200, Krstanovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> took up his/her
discourse and spake:
>I have Rockvell 56k ISA modem.It works on IRQ#3 and COM2 port under Win Me
>and DOS,but will not work under Red Hat 7
>Help me to configure it.Without the modem Linux is not so useful,in my
>opinion :)
>Thanx!

Are you sure it's a Rockwell modem? Or is Rockwell just the chipset manufacturer?

Anyway, I think the Rockwell chip set _might_ be for a Windows-modem (winmodem).
In other words, all signal processing functions are performed on the PC's driver
for the OS. Windows OS driver model uses "special" drivers for devices like this
in which the complexity of the device is programmed into the driver.

Under Linux, normally, it expects it to be a "normal" modem: something that talks
as a serial port and understand modem commands. The Rockwell is probably not one
of these.

So you have a couple of choices:

* Search the web for a special piece of software that will run on Linux and
support the Rockwell chip set (it _may_ exist... try www.linhardware.com, for
example).

* Buy a _real_ modem (something not listed as a "winmodem"). Real modems work
great on Linux.

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name

------------------------------

From: "lobotomy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Graphic Card Problem (S3 ProSavage PM133)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:35:03 GMT

-Xfree 3.3.x has not been updated for a while and doesn't support most
newer chipsets.  So its not surprising that that doesn't work.  The
Savage2000, which has the same 2d core, is supported, though...you might
very well be able to get it working using the s3_savage driver with
XF86_SVGA.

-It probably IS supported by 4.0.3, which also has Savage4/Savage2k
support, and is much newer.

-Even if you can't get it to work with a native driver, 4.0.x has a VESA
driver which will work with any svga card.  This will work although it
will be relatively slow.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Giga Cool"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The S3 ProSavage PM133 is not recognized (Xfree 3.3.x)
>
> Could somebody give a supported equivalent graphic card ?

PC Chips actually goes by many names. PCChips = Ability = Alton = Amptron =
Aristo = Asia Gate = Asiatech = Assa = Atrend = Elpina = Eurone = Fugu =
Fugutech = Hi Sing = Houston = Hsing Tech = H Tech = Matsonic = Minstaple =
PCWare = Pine = Protac = QDI = Warpspeed

------------------------------

From: "dubcaller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.best,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: HOTLINE port 5500 and IPCHAINS
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:39:24 -0700

HI ALL,

I have a hotline server running behind my IPCHAINS, RED HAT 7.0, router.  It
uses port 5500.  I've opened the port (in and out) in my rc.firewall and
fowarded the port to my correct internal address.  For some reason hotline
clients can't connect.  Has anyone been successfull running a Hotline server
behind a simliar setup.  Are there modules that I need to install?

------------------------------

From: Jan Hendrik Mangold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: USB audio and speakers
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:41:50 -0700

Hi

Mandrake 7.2 and USB enabled, audio loaded, usbview shows the speakers
but lsmod syas audi is unused and I can't get a peep out of the
speakers. I gave up and hooked them via the headphone jack, but I can't
sleep until I solve this.

So I have to tell the audio layer (artsd) to use the USB speakers?

Thanks

Jan