From: Erik Max Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Serial port problems
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:34:36 -0700

Whether or not I use /dev/cua0 or /dev/ttyS0, I can't get the serial
port to receive data, though it can send data fine.  (I'm testing with
an old modem that has lights on the front, so I can see it clearly
responding.)  Tried buying a new (straight through) cable, that didn't
help.  I've fiddled with the BIOS settings, with the devices I"m using,
and still can't it working.

I would guess it's the serial port itself on the motherboard, but that
seems relatively unlikely to me (never had that happen before).  Does
this suggest any symptomology?

max@charmaine:~% dmesg | grep tty
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
max@charmaine:~% setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
max@charmaine:~% grep serial /proc/interrupts # when in use
  4:         78          XT-PIC  serial

Any ideas?

--
 Erik Max Francis / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

------------------------------

From: "A.C. 'Static' Stadt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Radeon 64mb ddr under linux
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 04:23:25 GMT

hmmm... an excerpt from the Xfree86 4.0.3 driver status document, is it
just me, or is there a contradiction here?

<excerpt begins>
4.0.3:
Accelerated support is provided for Mach64, Rage, Rage 128 and
Radeon chips. Unaccelerated support is provided for all of the others
except the Mach8 and some early Mach32 chips by the "ati" driver.

and some old Mach32 chips. The support in 4.0.3 is, however,
unaccelerated for all chips except the Mach64, Rage and Rage 128 variants.
<excerpt ends>

I find that strange, considering that there is a module specifically for the
Radeon chip set.

In any case (I'm assuming here that you have Xfree 4.0.x) if you, as root,
run X -configure it will probe all the video cards that it knows about
and then write out a basic XF86Config file.  You can either use that
one or do a comparison with you existing one, and update where
necessary.  One side note, I don't believe that X -configure will
generate the necessary information for DRI... there should be a HOWTO
floating around somewhere on that one (or if all else fails, check DRI's
site at sourceforge).

St.

news:f2rG6.4874$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Serial port problems
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:21:15 -0700

What kernel version are you running?  What is in your /proc/pci?

From: Mike & Terri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on Compaq Prolinea ??
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 01:24:10 -0400

    I am trying to run RH V6.2 on a Compaq Prolinea 5133 (P133, 48mb
ram, 340mb Hd).
    The hard drive was setup on another system and dropped in here.
The problem is I get an error when it probes the PCI buss ( I think it
may be an unsupported Pci Buss Controller), and it will not see any
cards plugged in the Pci or Isa slots, video is onboard as is mouse,
serial, parallel. I would like to use this as a Dial on Demand
Firewall/Router for a small home lan. Any help is appreciated. TIA.

Thanks Mike

------------------------------

From: "Wayne Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdwriter software?
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:21:48 +0800

In article <TyGG6.12048$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bill Rueger"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is a good commercial cdrom writer software package?
>
> ---- Bill

Commercial!@#$

I have tested just about everything FREELY available and settled on
cdrecord/mkisofs/xcdroast. Works a treat. I am using an ACER 8x84832 IDE
drive with scsi-ide emulation.

Can't wait for multi-session support on xcdroast...

--
  Wayne A. Osborn, SCADA Engineer.[dnar AT iinet DOT net DOT au]
  Registered Linux User #212818.  [2.2.16-22-Win4Lin-686] [i686]

------------------------------

From: "Wayne Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to use wheel mouse
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:25:31 +0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <9cecds$6tr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Johnny Kim"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> how can I use wheel mouse in web browsing and other window program
>> scrolling
>>
>> using redhat7.1
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Depends on which mouse you're using. I have this in my XF86Config file,
> works for a Logitech cordless MouseMan (using Xfree 4.0.2, but that
> what's Redhat 7.1 comes with if I'm not mistaken):
>
> ---
> Section "InputDevice" (find this section and change to this)
>
> # Identifier and driver
>
>     Identifier  "Mouse-somenumber" (Don't change this) Driver
>     "mouse"
>     Option "Protocol"     "ImPS/2"
>     Option "Device"       "/dev/psaux"
>     Option "Buttons"      "6"
>     Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> ---
>
> If that doesn't work, try
> Option "Protocol"     "MouseManPlusPS/2" instead of ImPS2
>
> Also make sure that your mouse device really IS called /dev/psaux, it
> might be named /dev/mouse or whatever. Change if necessary.
>
> Hope this works for you!
>
> /Peter

I am using a M$ Optical Intellimouse, the wheels work in most Gnome app's
- not all. I can't find a way of getting prog's like Netscape 4.76 (6
works), Wordperfect and Windows
under Win4Lin to respond to the wheel though..

--
  Wayne A. Osborn, SCADA Engineer.[dnar AT iinet DOT net DOT au]
  Registered Linux User #212818.  [2.2.16-22-Win4Lin-686] [i686]
  1:20pm  up 1 day, 1 min,  5 users,  load average: 1.06, 1.10, 1.18
  ...Long computations which yield zero are probably all for naught.

------------------------------

From: "Michael Faurot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise Ultra66/100 card and Maxtor drives
Date: 29 Apr 2001 05:49:55 GMT

Monte Milanuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I was considering a Promise ATA-100 controller (non-RAID) as a way to
: utilize these drives on this machine, and then try for software RAID.  Are
: the Promise controllers workable for this kind of solution??

I haven't used the ATA100 card, just the ATA66 one.  But from my
experience with the ATA66 cards they work great for use in creating IDE
based RAID systems.  I've built some RAID-1 systems and most recently
a RAID-5 system with these cards and Linux software RAID.

 Michael | mfaurot  | I don't care where I sit as long as I get fed.
 Faurot  | atww.net |           -- Calvin Trillin

------------------------------

From: "Dean Kent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:37:22 -0700

Jonadab the Unsightly One <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Is that 3270 as in TN3270?  Wow, I haven't
> telnetted into one of those since college.
> I've never seen one in person.  What OS do
> they run?

Heh.  That is a terminal type.   It is a 'dumb' terminal, that connects to a
controller (3725, IIRC), which then connects to some big iron.   The OS
might be OS/VS1, OS/VS2, or most likely, MVS... (or, to make it more
current, OS/390 or zOS)    ;-).

TN3270 is an emulator, I believe...

Regards,
    Dean

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 29 Apr 2001 03:02:17 -0400

Wayne Osborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am using a M$ Optical Intellimouse, the wheels work in most Gnome app's
> - not all. I can't find a way of getting prog's like Netscape 4.76 (6
> works), Wordperfect and Windows
> under Win4Lin to respond to the wheel though..

You could use imwheel. It's a generic wheel handler for things that may not
have wheel support. It converts the "switches" that are thrown (as the
wheel is scrolled) to your choice of keys. Such as a line down (down-arrow)
key press (so using the scroll wheel is like repeatedly pressing the down
arrow). It can be configured ...

------------------------------

From: Warren Burke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:34:53 -0400

Certain applications need to be configured seperately.  Further
information can be found at:
        http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

Wayne Osborn wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In article <9cecds$6tr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Johnny Kim"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> how can I use wheel mouse in web browsing and other window program
> >> scrolling
> >>
> >> using redhat7.1
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> > Depends on which mouse you're using. I have this in my XF86Config file,
> > works for a Logitech cordless MouseMan (using Xfree 4.0.2, but that
> > what's Redhat 7.1 comes with if I'm not mistaken):
> >
> > ---
> > Section "InputDevice" (find this section and change to this)
> >
> > # Identifier and driver
> >
> >     Identifier  "Mouse-somenumber" (Don't change this) Driver
> >     "mouse"
> >     Option "Protocol"     "ImPS/2"
> >     Option "Device"       "/dev/psaux"
> >     Option "Buttons"      "6"
> >     Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > ---
> >
> > If that doesn't work, try
> > Option "Protocol"     "MouseManPlusPS/2" instead of ImPS2
> >
> > Also make sure that your mouse device really IS called /dev/psaux, it
> > might be named /dev/mouse or whatever. Change if necessary.
> >
> > Hope this works for you!
> >
> > /Peter
>
> I am using a M$ Optical Intellimouse, the wheels work in most Gnome app's
> - not all. I can't find a way of getting prog's like Netscape 4.76 (6
> works), Wordperfect and Windows
> under Win4Lin to respond to the wheel though..
>
> --
>   Wayne A. Osborn, SCADA Engineer.[dnar AT iinet DOT net DOT au]
>   Registered Linux User #212818.  [2.2.16-22-Win4Lin-686] [i686]
>   1:20pm  up 1 day, 1 min,  5 users,  load average: 1.06, 1.10, 1.18
>   ...Long computations which yield zero are probably all for naught.

  -Warren Burke

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not
bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
                                        -Mark Twain

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
                                        -Walter Bagehot

Write the bad things that are done to you in the sand, but write the
good
things that happen to you on a piece of marble.
                                        -Arabian wisdom

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle,
stand like a rock!
                                        -Thomas Jefferson

If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
                                        -Harry S Truman

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead
where there is no path and leave a trail."
                                        -George Bernard Shaw

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 02:44:19 -0500

"Jonadab the Unsightly One" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > That's silly.  All you need is to queue the upgrade to
> > > any given page until nobody's looking at it.
> >
> > And you magically know when nobody is looking at it, how?
>
> The OS should know that.

It should?  I didn't realize they had optical sensors that allowed the
terminals to notice when someone was looking at the terminal or not.

> At work, our system (Galaxy
> running on OpenVMS 7.2-1) knows automagically when a
> certain record is up on one terminal and won't allow
> any other terminal to change it.  It isn't that much
> more difficult to write the update software so that
> it keeps checking to see when nobody's using that page
> and writes the update then.

That "page"?  We're talking about a standalone application versus HTML.
With a standalone application you have to kill the application on each
terminal and start the newly updated copy of it.  The problem, is that you
can't just kill them all because people might be using them when you do.

> > You have to go around to each terminal and find out.
>
> Not if the system is well-designed you don't.

How do you know when someone is using the information on the screen?  You
don't.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:59:54 +0200

In comp.os.linux.help Erik Max Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Whether or not I use /dev/cua0 or /dev/ttyS0, I can't get the serial
> port to receive data, though it can send data fine.  (I'm testing with

Cable or port.

> an old modem that has lights on the front, so I can see it clearly
> responding.)  Tried buying a new (straight through) cable, that didn't
> help.  I've fiddled with the BIOS settings, with the devices I"m using,

It's possible (even llikely) that the cable is faulty. Test it and
you'll see that it isn't really full 25-25 (probably). I at least
find that about 50% of bought cables aren't fully wired up in the
first place. Look in the serial HOWTO for more details.

> and still can't it working.

> I would guess it's the serial port itself on the motherboard, but that
> seems relatively unlikely to me (never had that happen before).  Does
> this suggest any symptomology?

As you say. Not being able to receive implies that it can't read the
DSR signal, no? It's possible that the cable from the connector to the
motherboard is at fault. I'd test it too (there are two types of such
cable. One wired ababababab and one wired aaaaaabbbbbb wrt the two
sides of the connector)

> max@charmaine:~% dmesg | grep tty
> ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> max@charmaine:~% setserial /dev/ttyS0
> /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
> max@charmaine:~% grep serial /proc/interrupts # when in use
>   4:         78          XT-PIC  serial

Peter

------------------------------

From: Erik Max Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 02:05:45 -0700

Nader wrote:

> What kernel version are you running?  What is in your /proc/pci?

Kernel 2.2.16.  /proc/pci contains:

PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=1130.
      Fast devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No
bursts.
  Bus  0, device   2, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Intel Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=1132.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master
Capable.  No bursts.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf8000000 [0xf8000008].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf6000000 [0xf6000000].
  Bus  0, device  30, function  0:
    PCI bridge: Intel Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=244e.
      Fast devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No
bursts.  Min Gnt=14.
  Bus  0, device  31, function  0:
    ISA bridge: Intel Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=2440.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No
bursts.
  Bus  0, device  31, function  1:
    IDE interface: Intel Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=244b.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No
bursts.
      I/O at 0xb800 [0xb801].
  Bus  0, device  31, function  2:
    USB Controller: Intel Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=2442.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 3.  Master
Capable.  No bursts.
      I/O at 0xb400 [0xb401].
  Bus  0, device  31, function  3:
    SM Bus: Intel Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=2443.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.
      I/O at 0xe800 [0xe801].
  Bus  0, device  31, function  4:
    USB Controller: Intel Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=2444.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 9.  Master
Capable.  No bursts.
      I/O at 0xb000 [0xb001].
  Bus  1, device   9, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: NVidia Unknown device (rev 4).
      Vendor id=10de. Device id=20.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 5.  Master
Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf5000000 [0xf5000000].
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf7000000 [0xf7000008].
  Bus  1, device  11, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=1274. Device id=5880.
      Slow devsel.  IRQ 9.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=12.Max
Lat=128.
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd801].
  Bus  1, device  13, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: 3Com 3C595 100bTX (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 5.  Master Capable.  Latency=248.  Min
Gnt=3.Max Lat=8.
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd401].

--
 Erik Max Francis / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.

------------------------------

From: Erik Max Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 02:33:51 -0700

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> It's possible (even llikely) that the cable is faulty. Test it and
> you'll see that it isn't really full 25-25 (probably). I at least
> find that about 50% of bought cables aren't fully wired up in the
> first place. Look in the serial HOWTO for more details.

As I indicated, I actually explicitly purchased a new cable to try to
work around the problem.  The cable is definitely good; I can use it
with another system with no problems.  So the question really rests with
whether the hardware itself is faulty or whether I've got it
misconfigured.  More and more I guess it's looking like the hardware is
at fault.

> As you say. Not being able to receive implies that it can't read the
> DSR signal, no? It's possible that the cable from the connector to the
> motherboard is at fault.

There is no cable, the serial port is physically attached to the
motherboard.

--
 Erik Max Francis / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ There are no dull subjects.  There are only dull writers.

------------------------------

From: Clayton Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound
Subject: Creative Vibra 128 PCI
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:53:35 +1000

Hi,
I am having trouble getting the above sound card to work under Linux
(RH7.0), I have tried sndconfig, alsa, oss, all to no avail. Does anyone
out there know where there is some good doco on how to get it working ,
does anyone else own such a sound card ????   :)
If anyone is able to help can you please email me direct also.
Thanks in advance.
Clayton

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 11:47:13 +0200

In comp.os.linux.help Erik Max Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

>> It's possible (even llikely) that the cable is faulty. Test it and
>> you'll see that it isn't really full 25-25 (probably). I at least
>> find that about 50% of bought cables aren't fully wired up in the
>> first place. Look in the serial HOWTO for more details.

> As I indicated, I actually explicitly purchased a new cable to try to
> work around the problem.  The cable is definitely good; I can use it
> with another system with no problems.  So the question really rests with

This is not definitive. Apply an ohmeter to the pins. It
is quite possible for it to have a deficiency that is only important in
connection with a minor fault on your machine. The protocol (and wiring)
has redundancy. You really need to remove all suspicion that your testing
apparatus is faulty when testing.

> whether the hardware itself is faulty or whether I've got it
> misconfigured.  More and more I guess it's looking like the hardware is
> at fault.

>> As you say. Not being able to receive implies that it can't read the
>> DSR signal, no? It's possible that the cable from the connector to the
>> motherboard is at fault.

> There is no cable, the serial port is physically attached to the
> motherboard.

Tnen it must be a broken trace or serial chip, IF your cable is
correct.

Peter