From: "Nick Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape drive installation problem
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 04:12:28 GMT

How do I tell if CONFIG_SCSI, CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST are in my kernel?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Nick Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 04:19:19 GMT

Yes, it is a SCSI drive.

Here is the output from /sbin/lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
e100                   37468   1  (autoclean)
ncr53c8xx              51424   6

I don't know how to tell if the st module is loaded.

The /dev/st0 does exist and I have run "/dev/MAKEDEV st" and it created a
bunch of /dev/st entries such as st0, st0a, sta0l, sta0m.

news:9dbfmb$1lu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Fire GL 4000
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 May 2001 00:44:10 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (KegBot) writes:

> Does anyone make an X server for the Diamond Fire GL4000 card, commercial
> or otherwise?  I tried searching the web and even looked at XIG's page.
> Couldn't find anything relevant.  I'd like to use this card if possible!

Have you tried the VESA driver in XFree86 4.x?  The VESA driver allowed me to
bring up X on an unsupported Radeon VE (normal Radeon's are supported, but the
VE is too new for current support) for example.  Here is the XF86Config-4 file
I used when I used the Radeon VE:

# File generated by xf86config, hacked by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# Copyright (c) 1999 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
# to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
# THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
# XFree86 Project.
#

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config(4/5) man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Module section -- this  section  is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.
# **********************************************************************
#
Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

        Load            "dbe"           # Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
        SubSection      "extmod"
            Option      "omit xfree86-dga"      # don't initialise the DGA extension
        EndSubSection

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
        Load            "type1"
        Load            "freetype"

# This loads the GLX module
#       Load            "glx"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

        RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)
#
# If you don't have a floating point coprocessor and emacs, Mosaic or other
# programs take long to start up, try moving the Type1 and Speedo directory
# to the end of this list (or comment them out).
#

# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

        FontPath        "unix/:7100"

#       FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
#       FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
#       FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
#       FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
#       FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
#       FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
#       FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
#       FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

# The module search path.  The default path is shown here.

#    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
# received.  This may leave the console in an unusable state, but may
# provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging

#       Option  "NoTrapSignals"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence
# This allows clients to receive this key event.

#       Option  "DontZap"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode switching
# sequences.  This allows clients to receive these key events.

#       Option  "Dont Zoom"

# Uncomment this to disable tuning with the xvidtune client. With
# it the client can still run and fetch card and monitor attributes,
# but it will not be allowed to change them. If it tries it will
# receive a protocol error.

#       Option  "DisableVidModeExtension"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local xvidtune client.

#       Option  "AllowNonLocalXvidtune"

# Uncomment this to disable dynamically modifying the input device
# (mouse and keyboard) settings.

#       Option  "DisableModInDev"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local client to
# change the keyboard or mouse settings (currently only xset).

#       Option  "AllowNonLocalModInDev"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Input devices
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Core keyboard's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

        Identifier      "Keyboard1"
        Driver          "Keyboard"
# For most OSs the protocol can be omitted (it defaults to "Standard").
# When using XQUEUE (only for SVR3 and SVR4, but not Solaris),
# uncomment the following line.

#       Option  "Protocol"      "Xqueue"

        Option  "AutoRepeat"    "500 30"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"

#       Option  "LeftAlt"       "Meta"
#       Option  "RightAlt"      "ModeShift"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
#
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"

# These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
#       Option  "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc101"
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "us"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    ""
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    ""

#       Option  "XkbDisable"

        Option  "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option  "XkbModel"      "pc101"
        Option  "XkbLayout"     "us"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

        Identifier      "Mouse1"
        Driver          "mouse"

        Option          "Protocol"      "PS/2"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/psaux"

#       Option          "Protocol"      "IMPS/2"
#       Option          "Device"        "/dev/mouse"
#       Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

#       Option          "Protocol"      "Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
# almost every case these lines should be omitted.

#       Option          "BaudRate"      "9600"
#       Option          "SampleRate"    "150"

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

#       Option          "Emulate3Buttons"
#       Option          "Emulate3Timeout"    "50"

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

#       Option          "ChordMiddle"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

        Identifier      "ViewSonic VP181"
        VendorName      "ViewSonic"
        ModelName       "VP181"

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

        HorizSync       30 - 95

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

        VertRefresh     50 - 75

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of graphics device sections may be present

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Standard Vesa"
        VendorName      "ATI"
        BoardName       "Radeon VE"
        Driver          "vesa"

#       BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
#       Screen          1
#       Chipset         "chipset"
#       Ramdac          "ramdac-type"
#       DacSpeed        speed-8 speed-16 speed-24 speed-32
#       Clocks          clock...
#       ClockChip       "clockchip-type"
#       VideoRam        32768
#       BiosBase        baseaddress
#       MemBase         baseaddress
#       IOBase          baseaddress
#       ChipID          id
#       ChipRev         rev
#       TextClockFreq   freq
#       Option          "ShadowFB"      "true"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of screen sections may be present.  Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen.  A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
# option.
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen vga"
        Device          "Standard Vesa"
        Monitor         "ViewSonic VP181"
        DefaultDepth    24

        Subsection      "Display"
            Depth       8
            Modes       "1280x1024"
        EndSubsection

        Subsection      "Display"
            Depth       16
            Modes       "1280x1024"
        EndSubsection

        Subsection      "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes       "1280x1024"
        EndSubsection

        Subsection      "Display"
            Depth       32
            Modes       "1280x1024
        EndSubsection
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# ServerLayout sections.
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present.  Each describes
# the way multiple screens are organised.  A specific ServerLayout
# section may be specified from the X server command line with the
# "-layout" option.  In the absence of this, the first section is used.
# When now ServerLayout section is present, the first Screen section
# is used alone.

Section "ServerLayout"

# The Identifier line must be present
        Identifier      "Simple Layout"

# Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
# the relative position of other screens.  The four names after
# primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
# of the primary screen.  In this example, screen 2 is located to the
# right of screen 1.

        Screen          "Screen vga"

# Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
# optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
# used.  Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
# "SendCoreEvents".

        InputDevice     "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PCI modem 3COM/USR 2977
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 21:49:11 -0700

I've been where you are now.

1) First, try upgrading your serial driver (see
http://serial.sourceforge.net/) to at least 5.05.

2) If that doesn't work, search http://groups.google.com for your modem and
linux issues.

3) If those don't work, try upgrading your kernel to 2.4.

My issue was compounded by a PCI IRQ conflict between my modem and my UDMA66
controller.  I could either patch my 2.2.16 kernel or upgrade to 2.4 to resolve
that.  If you have ATA-66 or ATA-100, this may also be a problem for you.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Nader

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 21:57:25 -0700

And since your /proc/interrupts doesn't show "serial" next to IRQ 3 like it
should, it seems that you have IRQ sharing problems.  Try the serial driver
upgrade and if that doesn't do it, try the kernel upgrade.