Linux-Hardware Digest #529, Volume #14           Mon, 26 Mar 01 14:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Creative Banshee supported ? (Eric Ho)
  Re: SCSI drive keeps crapping out, but restarts ok... (Trevor Hemsley)
  cd-burner and modem ("tja hoe heet ik eigenlijk")
  how to enable 3d acceleration ("" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: cd-burner and modem (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Problems with Toshiba's 4600 graphics card (Horst Meyerdierks)
  Re: Copy Solaris Boot CD (John Ouellette)
  Re: Geforce2 Go and Linux? (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: how to enable 3d acceleration (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: YES! (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: linux with athlon ("J. E. Garrott Sr")
  RH 6.1 doesn't recognize ncr53c8xx scsi controller on Compaq ML370 ("Darren Jacobs")
  Re: linux with athlon ("JP&Wenie")
  Linux Storage Area Network solutions ("Frank")
  does anyone have a driver for the Hercules 3D Prophet II MX card? (Karthik)
  video flicker, XFree86 4.0.2, ATI Mach64 (Chad Everett)
  Re: Linux 7.0 on NoteBook ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do I change the IRQ for my modem (Markku Kolkka)
  Re: USB or AMR modem (Markku Kolkka)
  Re: does anyone have a driver for the Hercules 3D Prophet II MX card? (Markku Kolkka)
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? (Chad Everett)

From: Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative Banshee supported ?
Date: 26 Mar 2001 10:24:01 GMT

Hi,

My friend has a spare Creative Banshee PCI display card with 16Meg
RAM to give it to me. Is this card supported in X 3.3.6 ?

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: SCSI drive keeps crapping out, but restarts ok...
Date: 26 Mar 2001 10:39:50 GMT

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 05:28:18, Dan Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's the only thing on the controller, so the drive termination should
> be on "TP to BUS" right?

TP isn't termination, it's Terminator Power and controls whether the
drive supplies the voltages required to power the terminators on the
bus. Not the same thing. Under most circumstances TP should be off on
devices because controllers generally supply TP for the bus and extra
TP is unnecessary. Too many sources of TP can cause fuses to blow and
controllers to stop working!

As it happens I have an ST34371W and have the diagram telling me what
jumpers are which. You want J2 pin 8 to enable "T-Res". J2 is the
block of 8 jumpers at one side of the PCB under the drive and j8 is
the one furthest away from the connectors at the rear of the drive.

OTOH, the drive doesn't actually sound very healthy and I'd be looking
at keeping my backups up to date ;-) Have you run scsiinfo against it?
Specifically scsiinfo -d /dev/sda will list out all the bad block
lists - the manufacturer table is not one that you can do anything
about and usually contains lots of entries when you first buy a drive
but the grown list should not contain much at all. If the grown list
has  lots of entries in it then it's probably an indication that the
drive is on its way out. If the grown list is growing when you look at
the table over a few days then it's definitely dying!

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: "tja hoe heet ik eigenlijk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cd-burner and modem
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:30:20 +0100

if have currently a USB-modem which is not working
im looking for another one Do you have any suggestions??

I have also a Aopen cd burner (16 write 10 rewrite) but i dont know if this
one is supported and if so how i can burn with it

------------------------------

From: "<no name>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to enable 3d acceleration
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:17:11 +0200

when i installed suse 7.1 there was a moment where you could configurate
your video-card i have a 3d prohet (geforce 256).
When during the installation there was a option that you could enable 3d
acceleration but when i clicked on there was a popup screen telling me that
the 3d acceleration still was in a test version and it could make my system
unstable so i didn't use the option.
But now i wanne enable this option but i don't know how.
can anybody tel me how to do this.

ps im stil quit new to linux so please don't make it to difficult

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: cd-burner and modem
Date: 26 Mar 2001 13:19:40 GMT

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:30:20 +0100, tja hoe heet ik eigenlijk staggered
into the Black Sun and said:
>if have currently a USB-modem which is not working im looking for
>another one Do you have any suggestions??

Any external modem that plugs into the serial port should work.

>I have also a Aopen cd burner (16 write 10 rewrite) but i dont know if
>this one is supported and if so how i can burn with it

Look in your distro's manual for advice on CD-burning, read the
CD-Writing-HOWTO at http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html , or
search this NG for my name and keyword "CD-R" to get a quick overview of
how to get these things working.  It's not difficult if you follow the
directions.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Horst Meyerdierks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Problems with Toshiba's 4600 graphics card
Date: 26 Mar 2001 14:33:16 +0100

"Luis Miguel N Tavora" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   I've tried to install Red Hat 7.0 on a brand new laptop Toshiba 4600
> (PIII 700MHz)
> but got some problems with the graphics card. The system doesn't
> recognize the
> Trident CyberBlade XP (22) card and so X doesn't work....
>
> Is there anybody facing the same problem? Any suggestions on how to get
> around this?

I'm using Red Hat 6.2, hence initially XFree86 3.3.6.  I removed all
XFree86 RPM's and installed XFree 4.0.2.  You should have both already
on Red Hat 7.0.

I use the generic VESA driver rather than VGA or Trident.  Works for
8 and 16 bpp.  See http://www.roe.ac.uk/~hme/tosh4600/ for info and
XF86Config.

------------------------------

From: John Ouellette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Copy Solaris Boot CD
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:38:31 -0500

What is readcd?  My guess is that it is messing up with the bootable
part
of the CD image.  Try making your image with something like this:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=solaris26.img bs=2048

Hope that works,
J.

Randy Broman wrote:

> I'm attempting to duplicate a Solaris v2.6 boot CD. This does not use an
> iso9660
> filesystem, but instead has some partition structure with a boot
> partition, some
> UFS partitions, etc. I tried the following commands:
>
> # /usr/bin/readcd dev=1,0,0 f=solaris26.img
>
> # cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=1,0,0 -data /home/SOLARIS/solaris26.img
>
> Doesn't work. Anyone know how to do this?
>
> This is a RedHat 7.0 system with a  SONY  CD-RW  CRX120E drive (only
> one CDROM drive). Things work to the extent that I can read and write
> from/to
> the CD-RW drive; the problem is that the result is not a bootable
> Solaris CD.
> If someone knows how to do this, would appreciate the exact syntax of
> commands.
>
> Thanx!
>
> --
> "Don't spend $2 to dry-clean a shirt. Donate it to the Salvation Army instead.
> They'll clean it and put it on a hanger. Next morning buy it back for 75 cents."
>
> ,-.                   |\_/|               Randy Broman
> `. \                 =|^v^|=
>   \ `.      .===---___`_^_'
>    `. `--__/   \      '   \
>      `--___\   /__      \__\____
>             \____m)---\______m)m)              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

John Ouellette                     | Ph: 212-313-7919
Department of Astrophysics         | Fax: 212-769-5007
American Museum of Natural History | e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Central Park West at 79th St.      |
http://research.amnh.org/astrophysics
New York, NY  10024-5192           |

Subject: Re: Geforce2 Go and Linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:40:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (zsmilodon) wrote in
<99kdb8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>which distribution of linux are you using?
>if use redhat 7.0, how to setup geforce2mx display card?

I am running Mandrake 7.2. For detailed installation on setting up the
linux drivers from nVidia, see
http://www.nvidia.com/Products/OpenLinuxDwn.nsf/09769readmefaq.

To set up the standard driver that comeswith XF86, do a "XFree86 -
configure".

BTW, I have upgraded to XFree86 4.0.3, which meant that I had to (for some
obscure reason, I'm sure) rebuild the kernel module (NVIDIA_kernel).
--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: how to enable 3d acceleration
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:41:11 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (<no name>) wrote in <99kgjv$6l5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>when i installed suse 7.1 there was a moment where you could configurate
>your video-card i have a 3d prohet (geforce 256).
>When during the installation there was a option that you could enable 3d
>acceleration but when i clicked on there was a popup screen telling me
>that the 3d acceleration still was in a test version and it could make
>my system unstable so i didn't use the option.
>But now i wanne enable this option but i don't know how.
>can anybody tel me how to do this.

See http://www.nvidia.com/Products/OpenLinuxDwn.nsf/09769readmefaq, and
refer to other posts here recently :)

--

Subject: Re: YES!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:48:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gérald Valentin) wrote in
<99n1ar$h2f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>That's it! I just put lilo on the MBR of my 40 GB disk and XOSL works
>fine! (I only got a warning from lilo saying /dev/hdf is not my first
>drive but everything is OK)
>
>Thank you very much :-)

Glad to be of assistance :) (That's what we're here for).

From: "J. E. Garrott Sr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux with athlon
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:56:25 -0800

James O'Reilly wrote:

> Can anyone recommend an Athlon-based computer which runs Linux?
>
>                                 Jim O'Reilly

I'm using a locally built computer. The
motherboard is an ASUS A7V.  It's been running
without problems (other than the interface
between the chair and the keyboard :) since
early January.

Good luck in your search,

John

------------------------------

From: "Darren Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH 6.1 doesn't recognize ncr53c8xx scsi controller on Compaq ML370
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:28:19 -0330

Hello all,

I've run into a problem with the RH6.1 installation program while installing
on a compaq ML-370.  It does not seem to recognize the card, so when it
comes time to partition the disk (even using fdisk) no drives are
recognized.  I know that it isn't a hardware problem as I installed RH 7 on
the box as a test and it installed with no problems.  Any suggestions?

Darren.....

------------------------------

From: "JP&Wenie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:21:53 GMT

I think I read somewhere SGI made PC's with Linux and a 2 CPU's of 800Mhz.
If they dare to use the AMD CPU's,I don't know where there should be a
problem.
With the new kernel 4.0 it has to go...

Jean-Paul
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Frank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Storage Area Network solutions
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:18:33 -0700

Greetings,

I have an astronomy application that could make great use of a fibre channel
Storage Area Network (SAN) solution.  My CCD camera can generate
25 MBytes/sec of image data during the night.  One node on a cluster would
collect the images and write them to disk.  The SAN would allow other nodes
to pull the images off the disk and start processing them at a slower than
real-time rate.  Another task would also start backing the data up to a DLT
tape stack.

The network would consist of a RAID array, a DLT tape stack, a switcher,
and 6 CPU nodes.  So far the web sites I've run across for SAN solutions
address Windows or proprietary Unix systems.  Does anybody here know
of a somebody who gives good Linux solutions and support?

Thank you,
Frank

------------------------------

From: Karthik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: does anyone have a driver for the Hercules 3D Prophet II MX card?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:01:45 -0600

i recently bought a Hercules 3D Prophet II MX video card  with a NVIDIA
GeForce2 for my computer.
could anyone tell me where i can obtain a driver for it? i cant seem to
get X started without the driver.

thanx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: video flicker, XFree86 4.0.2, ATI Mach64
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:52:36 GMT

I have what I would describe as video flicker (random flashes of
very thin short black lines when displaying a white background)
on my SuSE 7.1 system configured with SaX2.  The flicker is not
present when the ViewSonic A90 monitor is attached to another
system running a different OS with a Matrox Millenium card.

Any suggestions on correcting this flicker problem? Here  is
info on my system/video:

Running XFree86 4.0.2 with:

Generated via SuperProbe command:

First video: Super-VGA
        Chipset: ATI 264GT3 (3D Rage Pro) (Port Probed)
        Memory:  8192 Kbytes
        RAMDAC:  ATI Mach64 integrated 15/16/24/32-bit DAC w/clock
                 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
                 (programmable for 6/8-bit wide lookup tables)
        Attached graphics coprocessor:
                Chipset: ATI Mach64
                Memory:  8192 Kbytes

Pertinent sections of my XF86Config file:

Section "Monitor"
  HorizSync     15-72
  Identifier    "Monitor[0]"
  ModelName     "DDC-Probed"
  VendorName    "DDC-Probed"
  VertRefresh   30-87
  UseModes      "Modes[0]"
EndSection

Section "Modes"
  Identifier    "Modes[0]"
  Modeline      "1280x1024" 116.48 1280 1296 1552 1736 1024 1024 1034 1070 +hsync
+vsync
  Modeline      "1152x870" 97.61 1152 1168 1384 1568 870 870 881 909
  Modeline      "800x600" 46.80 800 816 928 1072 600 600 606 626
  Modeline      "640x480" 29.12 640 656 720 864 480 480 485 501
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  DefaultDepth  16
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       15
    Modes       "1280x1024" "1152x870" "800x600" "640x480"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       16
    Modes       "1280x1024" "1152x870" "800x600" "640x480"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       24
    Modes       "1280x1024" "1152x870" "800x600" "640x480"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       32
    Modes       "1280x1024" "1152x870" "800x600" "640x480"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       8
    Modes       "1280x1024" "1152x870" "800x600" "640x480"
  EndSubSection
  Device        "Device[0]"
  Identifier    "Screen[0]"
  Monitor       "Monitor[0]"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  BoardName     "Rage 3D Pro AGP"
  BusID         "1:0:0"
  Driver        "ati"
  Identifier    "Device[0]"
  Screen        0
  VendorName    "ATI"
EndSection

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux 7.0 on NoteBook
Date: 26 Mar 2001 18:09:50 GMT

Richard Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Raymond Chia ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : I am planning to get a notebook that supports Linux Redhat 7.0 version. I
> : went for a recent PC fair and approached some technical staff from
> : Toshiba,IBM,HP & DELL on the support for the installation, but to my
> : surprise none of them are sure about Linux OS. Can someone tell me which
> : model of Notebook supports the installation for Linux Redhat version 6 or
> : ver 7 series ,and whether does it supports USB Floppy Diskette Drive?

> Take a look around at http://www.linux-laptop.net/

> I'm getting ready to install Linux, haven't yet, but I found two links
> that talked about having good success installing Linux on a Panasonic
> Toughbook CF-71, which is what I have.  One guy said he was unable to
> get the sound working right when also using a PC card, but other than
> that, it sounds like it worked pretty well.
> --
> Rick Carter
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I would also suggest you take a look at
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/omnibook -- the
site owner has done a *lot* of work on the HP OmniBook
6000s (which I have and am very partial to), and there's

Granted I am biased (I do work for HP, after all :-),
I've been really pleased with Linux on the OmniBook
6000 (RedHat 6.2), the OmniBook 500 (RH6.2 and Debian
2.2), and the OmniBook 4150 (no longer made, but
running RH7.0).  I've got one of each of the above
running (I do kernel work on them) so if there's
questions, just holler.

--
Ciao,
al

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I change the IRQ for my modem
Date: 26 Mar 2001 21:16:29 +0300

"Blaine Mincey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> If you noticed, IRQ 5 is used several times.  It looks like that is what my
> modem is assigned to as well.  Doesnt this have to be unique for each
> device?

Not with PCI devices. They _should_ be able to share interrupts.
Unfortunately they don't always behave nicely.

> How can I change this?

Try moving the board to a different PCI slot.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB or AMR modem
Date: 26 Mar 2001 21:19:05 +0300

"web" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi, everybody,I cannot installed TP-link modem(ambient 5826V ham) om my
> linux. I'd like to buy another modem. Would you please tell me if linux
> support USB modem or AMR modem? Thanks.

Some USB modems work with recent enough kernels (2.2.18 or 2.4.x), see
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevices.php3?id=14

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Mar 2001 21:22:31 +0300

http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:43:37 -0700

> If your PS/2 keyboard or mouse is connected straight to the system, then
> disconnecting either one will probably cause a system freeze.

  Interesting.  I do it all the time, never had a problem.  (knock on wood)

steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:55:43 GMT

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:43:37 -0700, Steve Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> If your PS/2 keyboard or mouse is connected straight to the system, then
>> disconnecting either one will probably cause a system freeze.
>
>  Interesting.  I do it all the time, never had a problem.  (knock on wood)

Belkin make a "smart" switchbox with builtin circuitry for safely switching
video, keyboard, and mouse between two (or more depending on the model you
get) computers.   The one I have is called Omnibox and it works just fine.
You can switch via a keyboard sequence or with a front panel button.