From: Chris Rankin <pacbell.net@{no.spam}rankinc>
Subject: Re: SBLive Problems...
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:28:13 -0700

Andy Collinson wrote:
> I have the same kernal and Suse version 7.1 as yourself, so I should be
> able to help.  I also have an Abit 6BE II (mine is revision 2). You
> shouldnt have to compile the alsa sound drivers, SuSe installation
> configured the card correctly and my CD, MP3 and wav files played correctly.
> I had a problem with midi, but solution was to load package awesfx and a
> soundfont.

Interesting - I am using the 0.5.10b ALSA drivers with the SoundBlaster
Live! and I have to say that the hardware MIDI playback is *terrible*
compared with Timidity. I loaded the 8mbgmsfx.sf2 soundfont using
sfxload; which soundfonts are you using?

Cheers,
Chris

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:16:59 +0200
From: Ioan Alexandre Romoscanu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pentium I 133 +32 MB enough ?

==============52A4F642C369B4119A040998

But take care not to put more memory into it than the
cachable range, since that could actually make it slower.

Sven

what do you mean with this? (pls excuse my ignorance if it is obvious)

Thanks

Alex.

==============52A4F642C369B4119A040998

<i>But take care not to put more memory into it than the</i>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philipp Lehman)
Subject: Re: Follow-up: Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:12:01 +0200

Ben Feinstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thanks for the help I've received so far!  Apparently I was failing to
>insert the 'soundcore' module before attempting to insert the 'es1370'
>module.  After inserting the 'soundcore' mod, the undefined symbol
>errors I was getting upon inserting the es1370 module disapeared.  What
>I get now is:
>
>$> insmod es1370

Always use "modprobe".

>00:10.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq: Unknown device 5880 (rev
>02)
>
>Is this the right chipset for the 'es1370' module?  Did Creative change
>the chipset and continue marketing a different card as the "Ensoniq
>AudioPCI"?

I'm using es1371 with it.

>If the hardware is correct, how would I go about trying to fiddle with
>the IO and IRQ params?  Is there a way to probe the PCI bus to get the
>correct values?  Doesn't Linux already do this?

There is no need to fiddle with interrupts with a PCI card.
This applies to ISA cards only. Here is what I have:

$lspci
00:11.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq: Unknown device 5880 (rev 02)

I go:

modprobe es1371
modprobe opl3   # optional

$lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
opl3                   10952   0 (unused)
sound                  56300   0 [opl3]
es1371                 24416   1
soundcore               2596   7 [sound es1371]

--
Philipp Lehman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Aureal and Via incompatibility fix!
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:34:33 +0100

I found this on a recent forum post at aureal.sourceforge.net

Apparently the problem with the aureal cards and the via chipset can be
fixed by typing the following:

setpci -d '12eb:*' 40.B=FF

after loading the driver. This was the change that was made to the driver
after aureal released the binaries to developers. It's basically this little
tweak that makes the 2048 win9x drivers work, when the win2k and linux
drivers are still busted.

I haven't tried this myself yet so I don't know if it works for sure but
there is at least one person on the forum reporting success with this
method.

Hope it helps some of you.

--
I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go
flying by. - Douglas Adams

------------------------------

From: "Jarkko Hakala" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: ZIP ext2 vs fat16 and speed
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:45:35 +0300

"Nigel Jewell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Dear all,
>
> I have an ZIP 250 drive (that uses the ide-floppy driver) and have found
> the process to be VERY slow when writing to EXT2 formatted disks.  It is
> fine when writing to FAT16 disks.
>
> Copy 250Mb to a FAT16 filesystem can take a couple of minutes.  Copying
> 250Mb to a EXT2 filesystem can take most of the day.  Is there anything
> that I can do to speed up the EXT2 writes?
>
> I'm using Redhat 7.1, with a 2.4.3 kernel, although I've experienced
> this with 2.2.x kernels aswell.

I've not used a Zip-drive, but this should speedup any such media in
general(or it'd be more like a workaround):Copy the whole raw disk, say
/dev/zip0 onto your harddisk or ramdisk('dd if=/dev/zip0 of=/var/zipfile'),
mount the file('mount /var/zipfile /mnt/something -o loop'), useit, umount,
copy the file to /dev/zip0(with dd again).

The copy-in and copy-out processes take a long time of course, but should
be faster than reading 250Mb of random-access files from it.

Perhaps, as you say "ide-floppy driver", hdparm can set up write-caching
for it with 'hdparm -W 1 /dev/zip0'. Another thing would be that you should
do the ext2fs with larger block size, as the interleave & stuff of Zip-drive
is propably optimized for FAT-usage.

---
Jarkko Hakala
http://byterapers.com/~jhakala/
IRCnet: privmsg jakemus :

------------------------------

From: Sven Bovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:02:40 +0200

Ioan Alexandre Romoscanu wrote:

>> But take care not to put more memory into it than the
>> cachable range, since that could actually make it slower.
>
> what do you mean with this? (pls excuse my ignorance if it is obvious)

Depending on the chipset and the amount of cache memory,
only a limited amount of RAM can be cached.  Uncached
memory tends to be slower than cached memory, but
aperently (cf. previous posts in this thread), the
speed penalty could be small.

Sven

     sven dot bovin at chem dot kuleuven dot ac dot be

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:41:03 +0200

Ioan Alexandre Romoscanu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But take care not to put more memory into it than the
> cachable range, since that could actually make it slower.

> what do you mean with this? (pls excuse my ignorance if it is obvious)

It means what it says. Is your question rather perhaps "what is the
'cachable range'"?

That's whatever your mobo implements. On a TX board, for example, it's
64MB. Look at your mobo spec.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZIP 250 Parallel probs
Date: 26 Apr 2001 12:17:34 GMT

MW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This has probably been asked a 100 times before but I'm
> having problems getting RH6.2 to see a Zip 250 hanging off
> a parallel port. Kern 2.2.14 is supposed to handle ZIPs on the
> pport and Xconfigurator has setting for them but every time

Xconfigurator is for configuring... X.

> I check and even recompile I get a message about the kernel
> not seeing it as a block device and suggesting it as an insmod
> driver.

> As you can tell I'm new to Linux and am probably overlooking
> something painfully obvious.

/sbin/modprobe imm

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: iQXth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise FastTrak100, which distribution supports it?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:23:27 GMT

I have a Promise FastTrak100 IDE RAID controller. Red Hat 7.1 does not
support it. Neither does Mandrake 8.0.

How can I get it to work with these distributions? Which Linux
distribution supports this controller card?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martha H Adams)
Subject: Re: LS120
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:35:51 GMT

Oops -- when I outlined how I set up my LS120 in a Linux machine, I made an
error someone might find confusing.  I wrote,

   cat /dev/zero /dev/hdax
                        ^
which says the *wrong thing* or at least not the right thing.  Namely:

Your /dev/hda is probably where your system lives, and all your work trees.
No way do you want to cat zeros into there, because catting in those zeros
*wipes the drive.*  That's what it's for, into the LS120, because that is a
simple and effective way to clear away the formatting the LS120 people have
put there.

The correct way to say this is,

   cat /dev/zero /dev/hdx

where x = the drive in Linux notation, where you are sending the zeros.  It
will be b for the second drive in your first pair in usual IDE setup; or it
will be c or d for first or second drive in your second IDE pair.

When you get into making your new filesystem on the LS120, you want to tell
the software which partition you are formatting, even there is only one
partition there.  For example, since my LS120 is the last drive on my second
IDE pair, I'll tell my Linux to make a filesystem on /dev/hdd1.

All this happens as root.  Which privileges apply to the new LS120 works as
if the disk is the drive.  So after I have made the disk ready to use, I
have to still as root, update from root privileges, to my ordinary-user
privileges.

The moral of this: People make mistakes; mistakes can strike *anybody.*  So
even if someone sounds like they know exactly what they are talking about,
*don't entirely trust it.*  Murphy's Law is alive and well.

Cheers -- Martha Adams

------------------------------

From: Juergen Lindemeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Errors writing on CD-R with Kernel 4.2 and UDMA100
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:44:11 +0200

yesterday, I experienced strange errors with my new box (AMD Athlon 900
MHz, AOpen AK73  with VIA Southbridge 686B, Maxtor VL40 HD with UMDA100
and CD-Writer Philips CDD2600 on a Fast-SCSI Controller).

With my old box (where I used the SCSI controller and the Writer) I
never experienced any data corruption after writing CD-Rs. Yesterday,
hundred or more files where corrupted (it seemed, that only one byte was
corrupted in each case -- in one case it was 0x00 instead of 0xFF (or
vise-versa)).

Now I wonder, if the reason might be:

- UDMA 100 (my hardware should support it, so I enabled it)

- the VIA Southbridge, which should be buggy -- but only when using the
second IDE -- what I do not

- My mainboard in general

- My kernel (2.4.0) -- where some IDE-bugs are reported to be fixed in
2.4.2 -- but the statements where not so exact

- The fact, that I use my old SCSI-drives -- 2 4Gig IBM SCSI drives. One
of those also carries the old swap-space of my former box -- which was
activated by the installation procedure (Suse Yast) --- but the system
shouldn't swap that much with 256 MB memory.

Has anybody an idea? I had also problems with an other board, which I
found out to be broken after installing it in the system. So I am near
throwing everything out an buying Intel hardware ... (I don't know, if
this is better, but recent news about VIA bugs are not very promising
...).

Regards!

/juergen

------------------------------

From: Delestre Nicolas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Two problems with Mandrake 8
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:01:32 +0200

Hi,
I have just upgrated my linux (Mdk 7.2 -> Mdk 8). Before everything was
ok but now i have two main problems ;-)
This is my Configuration :
Dell Laptitude with PCMCIA Xircom (Ethernet + modem card), wtih three
kernels (2.4.3 and 2.2.19-10 from Mdk 8 and 2.2.17-21 from Mdk 7.2) and
internal cdwriter.

First problem :
Under kernels 2.4.3 and 2.2.19-10 my ethernet card does not work (but it
works with the 2.2.17 kernel). With the 2.4.3 kernel the system writes
that it can not load ds.o.gz module, and it displays the following error
messages :
init_module : operation not permitted
Hint:insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
inluding invalid IO or ICQ parameters

When I read the /var/log/message file I have the following errors :
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel: Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.25
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel:   kernel build: 2.4.3-20mdk #1 Sun
Apr 15 23:03:10 CEST 2001
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel:   options:  [pci] [cardbus] [apm]
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel: Intel PCIC probe: PCI: Found IRQ 11
for device 00:03.0
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel: PCI: The same IRQ used for device
00:03.1
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel: PCI: The same IRQ used for device
00:07.2
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel:
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel:   Bad bridge mapping at 0x1fff0000!
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel: not found.
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel: ds: no socket drivers loaded!
Apr 25 17:16:04 psi-j2-macnd kernel: ds: no socket drivers loaded!

Second problem :
The automount system does not work anymore (whatever the kernel i use).
In fact it seems there are two problems :
First, the ide-scsi mdoule is not loaded automatically (but i can
manuelly load) although in the lilo file configuration i have added the
option : append=" hdc=ide-scsi"
Second, autofs produce a strange error in the /var/log/message file like
this :
Apr 25 18:34:02 psi-j2-macnd automount[2130]: starting automounter
version 4.0.0, path = /mnt/cdrom, maptype = file, mapname = /etc/auto.cdrom
Apr 25 18:34:02 psi-j2-macnd modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module none
Apr 25 18:34:02 psi-j2-macnd automount[2130]: using kernel protocol
version 3
Apr 25 18:34:02 psi-j2-macnd automount[2130]: using timeout 300 seconds;
freq 75 secs
avr 25 18:34:02 psi-j2-macnd autofs: lancement d'autofs succeeded

What is the missing module ?

If somebody can help me?

Thank you for advance.

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.raid
Subject: Re: Best RAID controller for Linux
Date: 26 Apr 2001 12:58:45 GMT

Steve Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    I certainly don't aim to keep up this war (er... thread).  But SCSI

And I never intended a war.  I really appreciate reasoned debate (thank
you!), which is why I am posting in response to you (and won't in response
to hubba anymore).

> Mylex 352  $730
> 18 drives  $4482
> 2 9-bay enclosures  $550
> Two VHDCI cables $50
> ---------------------

>   That totals up to about $5800, right around what you spent, and now you'd
> have a dual-channel controller for more bandwidth, and 64 megs of cache on
> the board to speed things along.   You might need some converters to hook
> the SCA drives to the 58-pin cables, but the extra $200 would more than
> cover that.  Now, I'm not saying that's what you should have done, and I'm
> not saying that's the ideal setup.  I'm just saying that SCSI doesn't
> necessarily have to be extremely expensive in all situations.

Very nice configuration, and I absolutely agree with your conclusions.
I looked at such configurations, and ran into one problem.  We're a research
group chock full of workstations.  As such, we really don't have any server
hardware, and thus no boxen with 64bit PCI slots.  Anything above the
cheapest entry-level SCSI RAID cards requires 64bit PCI slots, and would
have required us to buy a server-class system.  Now, an entry level server
isn't expensive, but it *does* add to the price.  A self-contained RAID
system with a SCSI channel to the host allows me to just hook it up to
any box with a SCSI card.  One of our old dual PII-450, 512MB RAM
workstations lacks 64bit PCI, but works just fine NFS serving our RAID
array.

Thanks again.

From: Luigi Cavallo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: probelms with RH 7.0 -> 7.1 Upgrade
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:17:01 +0200

Hi, I have a problems while updating my laptop, from RH 7.0 to 7.1.
The system I have is a Dell Inspiron 8000, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB HD.
I have windows ME and Linux RH 7.0 on it. The kernel I have is 2.4.2
I had no problems to install RH 7.0.

With windows ME, hybernation works properly, since I can put the laptop
to sleep, and it resumes properly. Never tried under linux.

I was trying to upgrade to RH 7.1 because I wasn't able to have the
sound
and the PCMCIA net card working at the same time. I have heard that RH
7.1
should be able to make everything working.

So, I burned a RH 7.1 CD, and I boot from it. The installation starts,
but
after the language and keyboard selection it stops with the follwing
message.

An error occurred reading the partition table for the block device
hda. The error was:

Logical partition of type 0 detected

This error has occurred because there is a logical partition on the
drive which has a partition type 0.... etc etc.

After that, installation stops.

This is what windows fdisk says about the partitions,

Partition   Status    Type      Mbyte   System
     1               EXT DOS      298
     2         A     PRI DOS    10009    FAT32
     3               NON DOS     8503
     4               NON DOS      259

while this is what linux fdisk (under RH 7.0) says:
 Device    Boot  Start    End    Id    System
/dev/hda1   *      39    1314     c    Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda2        1315    2398    83    Linux
/dev/hda3           1      38     5    extended
/dev/hda4        2399    2431    82    Linux swap

Now, I don't have any "type 0" partition... what I understand
from the linux fdisk, is that hda3 is the partition where the
hybernation-writing should go. According to documents posted on
www.linux-laptops.net dell inspiron 8000 section, the hybernantion
partition
should have some "strange type", whereas I have it as extended.

Well, any suggestions ???

gg

------------------------------

From: Xiaoming Cai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP OfficeJet G85 is not recognised by RedHat 7
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:30:22 +0100

The HP OfficeJet G85 is not recognised by RedHat 7, although both
parallel & USB connections are set up.  Even simple command of
'cat file > /dev/lp?', where ? was tried as 0, 1, and 2, gives
the error of 'Device not configured'.

Could anyone help me out?  How to configure a port?

                   Many thanks,

                   Xiaoming

--

Dr. Xiaoming Cai, Senior Lecturer
School of Geography and Environmental Sciences