Linux-Hardware Digest #800, Volume #14           Sat, 19 May 01 22:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  How do I "Kill" Netscape? (Lamar Thomas)
  =?ISO-8859-1?B?SW5zdGFsbCBwcm9ibOhtZS4uLiBjYXJ0ZSBTQ1NJIEFkYXB0ZWMgMjkwNA==?=
(AL1B20100)
  Re: oki4w printer not detected (Roger Lindmark)
  Re: yes, 2 SGI 1600sw LCD panels DO work in linux in dualhead mode! (The Linux
AntiChrist)
  Acer 8432A CDRW Problems (don keith)
  Re: Acer 8432A CDRW Problems (Roger Lindmark)
  sidewinder gamepad on sb awe 64, please help! ("mrmojorisin")
  Re: Tape Backup Configuration (David Wood)
  Re: Is an optical mouse different? (Steve Sivier)
  Re: Is an optical mouse different? (Steve Sivier)
  LOCK UP!! (Todd)
  Re: Datachute-PCI Slimscsi 1480 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: dual athlon ("Paul Ingram")
  Re: How do I "Kill" Netscape? ("bowman")
  PPP over ATM (Andy Kinsey)
  Re: dual athlon (Stuffed Crust)
  Mandrake 7.1 won't recognize my Maxtor 36147H8 60 GB ATA 100 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mandrake 7.1 won't recognize my Maxtor 36147H8 60 GB ATA 100 (Sky Lemon)
  Re: Is an optical mouse different? (Sky Lemon)

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: How do I "Kill" Netscape?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 19:17:34 GMT

I am running RH 7.1 and Netscape 4.76.  Every now and then Netscape
locks up on me and it won't "Close".  I have tried "Alt+F4" and "Close"
and "Exit" from the file menu.  The only way I have been able to get out
of it is to exit and re-start "X Windows"  Anyone know how I can "Kill"
Netscape without having to exit "X Windows"?  I am using KDE as my
desktop.  Thanks,

Lamar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (AL1B20100)
Date: 19 May 2001 19:25:23 GMT
Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?B?SW5zdGFsbCBwcm9ibOhtZS4uLiBjYXJ0ZSBTQ1NJIEFkYXB0ZWMgMjkwNA==?=

Au debut de l'install de linux

Je possede cette carte Adaptec 2904 controleur mais elle ne semble pas etre
reconnue par Mandrake  qui me propose un choix de pilotes ou il n'y a pas celui
de ma carte et ça tourne en rond...

Que faire ?

Quel lecteur IDE  DVD est compatible avec Mandrake 7.2 ou 8.0 ?

Merci de m'aider

------------------------------

From: Roger Lindmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: oki4w printer not detected
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:34:10 +0200

Sten Ahlberg wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why printer ports are not detected by Linux, neither on
> installation, startup or by running kudzu.
> I have an Oki4w printer, works fine on dual os (win98), is recognized by
> bios and by win.
> However there seems to be some kind of confusion between systems , bios vs
> windows, about beeing 03bcH or 0378 for lp0 or lp1
> In bios lpt1 is 0378
> In win lpt1 is 03bc IRQ = 7
> It's all very confusing and I find no way of detecting whats going on in
> Linux besides lp waiting for device ( lp0 or lp1 )to be ready.
> Any suggestion welcome.

Hi, Sten!

I have had problems with printing after I installed a SCSI-card, but prior
that it worked for me.

Can you print directly to the port? Try: ls >/dev/lp0  at a commandprompt
and a few lines should be printed out.

Have you tried lsmod command to see, if the modules for printing is loaded.
parport_pc and lp should be present.

You can, as root operator load the driver for the paralell port manually by
the command: modprobe parport_pc

Try then to install the printer and check printing.

If it works then your problem is to get the parport_pc driver loaded at
bootup. Check that it is correctly listed in modules.conf

Sincerely Yours

Roger

--
Roger Lindmark
OS/2 Warp 4.06

------------------------------

From: The Linux AntiChrist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.graphics,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: yes, 2 SGI 1600sw LCD panels DO work in linux in dualhead mode!
Date: 19 May 2001 19:49:04 GMT

In comp.sys.sgi.graphics Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> sgi talks a good game about linux.  I'm not the one that started them on this
> track of theirs; they voluntarily chose to support linux.  so, SUPPORT IT!
> don't do it half-assed - either do it right or quit trying to be a linux
> company.

agreed.  they should shitcan this linux garbage once and for all.

> if they never had released an x-server for the #9 i128-fp cards, then
> I wouldn't have bought any of these displays.  and there would be
> nothing to 'whine' about since linux would clearly not be a supported
> o/s.  but they DO claim linux support.  sorry you have a problem with
> that (die-hard irix bigot, maybe?  nt weenie?)

wow, news to me.  you show me where sgi themselves specifically released
an x-server for full support with the 1600sw and the bundled #9 card...

i'll live with the IRIX bigot attribution.

> (oh, and btw, xfree86 != linux.  get that straight mr. troll)

who said it did?  of course they are both cobbled together trash but that
is for another discussion.

you can just call me the Linux AntiChrist.

cheers.

------------------------------

From: don keith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Acer 8432A CDRW Problems
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 15:32:07 -0500

Does anyone out there have an Acer 8432A CDRW drive that they have
successfully configured to run with Xcdroast or cdrecord ????    I've been
fighting this problem for days and it's driving me crazy.....From all
indications the CDRW is being recognized by linux as a SCSI drive using the
emulation as directed in the Howto's etc.....It reads data and audio cd's
just fine, however when I try to burn a cd, Xcdroast and / or cdrecord go
thru the motions and give the appearances that everything is working but
the end result is absolutely nothing on the CD?  While "burning" the cd the
red led comes on and it looks like everything is working.  When I run
Xcdroast in the -debug mode, I don't see any outstanding errors either?

Running Suse Linux 7.1 / 2.4.0-GB kernel/ 733 mhz Pentium III/ 384mb
ram/30gb HD/ cdrecord 1.9 / Xcdroast v 0.98a7

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Roger Lindmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Acer 8432A CDRW Problems
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:47:52 +0200

don keith wrote:

> Running Suse Linux 7.1 / 2.4.0-GB kernel/ 733 mhz Pentium III/ 384mb
> ram/30gb HD/ cdrecord 1.9 / Xcdroast v 0.98a7
>
> Any help or comments would be appreciated.

I had similar problems, when I run CDrecord/2 under OS/2 recently and the
problem was solved by changing CDRs from a cheap noname brand to TDK.

Sincerely Yours

Roger
--
Roger Lindmark
OS/2 Warp 4.06

------------------------------

From: "mrmojorisin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sidewinder gamepad on sb awe 64, please help!
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:18:35 GMT

Hi,

I am having problems getting my sidewinder gamepad to work unde LM 8.0
with the 2.4 kernel.  I hear that joystick support has changed btw 2.2
and 2.4, but I think I am having trouble with the gameport.  By default,
the port is inactive according to cat /proc/isapnp, and I can change it
to report the gameport as active by using isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf (I only
uncommented the settings for the gameport in the isapnp.conf).  This
seems to work.  I then use 'modprobe sidewinder', which loads the
input, gameport and sidewinder modules.  I also ran 'modprobe joydev' to
no effect.  here is lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
joydev                  5824   0  (unused)
sidewinder              8944   0  (unused)
gameport                1520   0  [sidewinder]
input                   3232   0  [joydev sidewinder]
floppy                 47216   0  (autoclean)
isofs                  17808   0  (autoclean)
NVdriver              630032  12  (autoclean)
parport_pc             23024   1  (autoclean)
lp                      5296   0  (autoclean)
parport                24576   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
sb                      7136   1
sb_lib                 33120   0  [sb]
uart401                 6224   0  [sb_lib]
sound                  54256   1  [sb_lib uart401]
soundcore               3504   5  [sb_lib sound]

Am I missing something?  Is there a specific module for the awe gameport?

------------------------------

From: David Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Tape Backup Configuration
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:59:48 +0100

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, seamusm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes
>"J. J." wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know the correct density, blocksize, etc. settings for a Dell
>> Poweredge 1300 dds4 tape drive using the Red Hat "dump" and "restore"
>> commands with a 150m tape??
>>
>> This drive is also known as a Dell PowerVault 100T DDS4 Drive
>>
>> and is also known as a  Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 06408-XXX Rev: 8071
>> Type:  Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03

It's almost certainly a Seagate STD2401LW.

>> Someone else also suggested it was made by Conner and then bought out by
>> Seagate.  Dell and Seagate web sites are useless.

No - they're getting confused with hard disks - Seagate long since took
over and absorbed Conner.

A long time ago, there was a company called Archive. Seagate bought them
out and started producing their DAT products. Windows NT 4, out of the
box, doesn't recognise DAT drives with a SEAGATE DAT string, so more
recent Seagate DAT products are usually factory configured to a 'fake'
Archive Python ID string. There is a DIP switch on the drive, marked as
unassigned or similar on many, that sets a SEAGATE DAT ID string.

My Seagate STD2401LW, set to  identifies as a SEAGATE DAT 06240-XXX,
which makes me slightly suspicious as to what your drive actually is,
unless, of course, you have the autoloader (STDL42401LW). However,
software in the 8xxx series indicates Seagate DDS-4 (and the latest
revision, incidentally, is 8160, which is obtainable from
<http://download.seagate.com/SERVICE/tfmware.nsf/tdiagentry?OpenForm>
and flashable using the Seagate Tape Utilities - though flash an OEM
drive at your own risk).

In any case, all the information you need should be at
<http://www.seagate.com/support/tape/manuals/dds/dds4pmb.pdf>. If it's
of any help, DDS-4 drives can be driven at varying block sizes - Backup
Exec 8.5 for NT server / Windows 2000 uses 8KB blocks by default.

David
--
David Wood

From: Steve Sivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is an optical mouse different?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 23:00:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sky Lemon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmm, the mouse is indeed great. And all of the mouse's functionality
> worked
> with Win2K Pro, even though the Belkin switch must "emulate" some other,
> generic sort of mouse. Maybe it emulated a 3-Button wheel mouse, whose
> wheel
> is also a 'button' (pressed down)? But that would be too good ;-) What
> I'm
> most concerned with is how to tell linux whether I'm using that mouse
> (when
> I'm docked), and to disable the touchpad, and when not to use that mouse.

I'm using the mouse on a Dell Inspiron 4000 (and on a Toshiba Tecra
8000) hooked up to the PS/2 port (I don't think I've tried hooking it up
to the USB port yet). It works great and all three buttons work - as
buttons. The scroll wheel doesn't currently work, however I've seen some
comment about a change that can be made to the XF86Config file to get it
working.

Steve

------------------------------

From: Steve Sivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 23:05:25 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmm, the mouse is indeed great. And all of the mouse's functionality
> worked
> with Win2K Pro, even though the Belkin switch must "emulate" some other,
> generic sort of mouse. Maybe it emulated a 3-Button wheel mouse, whose
> wheel
> is also a 'button' (pressed down)? But that would be too good ;-) What
> I'm
> most concerned with is how to tell linux whether I'm using that mouse
> (when
> I'm docked), and to disable the touchpad, and when not to use that mouse.

Oh, and the silly touchpad still works (unfortunately). On my Toshiba,
it is disabled, but I haven't been able to disable it on my Inspiron.
But I haven't really played with the BIOS enough to see if there's a way
to disable it.

Steve

------------------------------

From: Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LOCK UP!!
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 16:30:40 -0700

I'm running a DFI K6XV3=/66 motherboard, Micron 500 FGX monitor,
Trident BLADE3D vidcard, logitech first mouse, mitsumi cdrom. I can
successfully install several flavors of Linux just fine. When I Start
X it locks up within seconds. I can change the vid resolution to
800x600 and get it to run, but I know the vidcard can handle better.
Ideas?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Datachute-PCI Slimscsi 1480
Date: 19 May 2001 16:37:56 -0700

The aha 1480 cardbus card is not compatiable to with the anatec datachute-pci.
Datachute-pci only supports 16 bit cards. The 1480 is a 32 bit card.
I will have to see if the Raytoc Systems CBS51U cardbus reader is compatable,
according their page it auto detects between cardbus and 16 bit cards. Looks
like it uses the RL5C478 chipset.

>>>What were the startup messages from the PCMCIA drivers?
>>>
>>>-- Dave
>>
>>info_man
>>

>info_man

info_man

------------------------------

From: "Paul Ingram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dual athlon
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 01:25:05 +0100

Can't say too much as my company has signed an NDA. I have been asked to run
some benchmarks on it but I can't get past the first hurdle of installing an
o/s. I just wondered if anybody else has their hands on one and has had more
success than me so far.

Regards

B. Joshua Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Where did you get a dual athlon board from? I assume that you have a
> beta because the the Thunder K7 hasn't been released yet, neither has
> the desktop Palamino's which are required for MP operation.
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I "Kill" Netscape?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 18:33:47 -0600

"Lamar Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> of it is to exit and re-start "X Windows"  Anyone know how I can "Kill"
> Netscape without having to exit "X Windows"?  I am using KDE as my

same as any other program. open a Konsole, do a  "ps aux | grep netscape"
and kill -9 anything that vaguely resembles netscape.

Occasionally, the visual part of Netscape will crash, but a daemon will
remain. This gives the dialog box saying something like "Another Netscape is
active. Anything you do won't be saved". Do the same thing in this case,
then restart Netscape normally.

You could use top if you prefer, though ps etc. is faster.

------------------------------

From: Andy Kinsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP over ATM
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 00:36:08 GMT

Linux newbie...

I am running RedHat 7.0 and I am using a 3Com Dual Link external DSL
modem to connect to the internet. Has anyone figured out how to get this
to work? If so, could you "hold my hand" and show me how you did it? I
would greatly appreciate any assistance. Please e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance.
Andy

------------------------------

From: Stuffed Crust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 May 2001 01:04:50 GMT

Paul Ingram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can't say too much as my company has signed an NDA. I have been asked to run
> some benchmarks on it but I can't get past the first hurdle of installing an
> o/s. I just wondered if anybody else has their hands on one and has had more
> success than me so far.

Use the latest stable (2.4.4) or better yet, 2.4.5pre3 or 2.4.4-ac11.  I
know there were some APIC changes to support the AMD760MP.

Alternatively, booting the kernel with "noapic" might work. (or at least
reverting to a single cpu kernel long enough to get a newer one
compiled) What kind of errors are you seeing?

>> Where did you get a dual athlon board from? I assume that you have a
>> beta because the the Thunder K7 hasn't been released yet, neither has
>> the desktop Palamino's which are required for MP operation.

They're not "reqired" for SMP work any more than a P2 was "reqired" for
SMP stuff vs a Celeron.  The nature of the Alpha EV6 bus is such that
each CPU has a dedicated connection to the northbridge chip.  Even Duron
CPUs have been reported to work so far.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mandrake 7.1 won't recognize my Maxtor 36147H8 60 GB ATA 100
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:06:13 -0400

I have a Via 503+ motherboard and recently purchased a new harddrive
to replace my ailing 5 and 4 gig drives. Since the old pc wouldn't
recognize the harddrive, I tried using the maxblast software. It
worked fine for windows, but linux didn't know what to do with EZ
Drive during formatting. SoI bought a new controller also. I bought an
Ultra ATA/100. The card works much better and the system seems more
stable as well. Now my problem is that Linux won't see it all during
the install.

What gives ? Does anyone know if 7.1 supports it or maybe 8.0 ?

------------------------------

From: Sky Lemon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 01:56:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a Via 503+ motherboard and recently purchased a new harddrive
> to replace my ailing 5 and 4 gig drives. Since the old pc wouldn't
> recognize the harddrive, I tried using the maxblast software. It
> worked fine for windows, but linux didn't know what to do with EZ
> Drive during formatting. SoI bought a new controller also. I bought an
> Ultra ATA/100. The card works much better and the system seems more
> stable as well. Now my problem is that Linux won't see it all during
> the install.
>
> What gives ? Does anyone know if 7.1 supports it or maybe 8.0 ?

Damnit... I have the same frickin' problem with my ATA/100
drive/controller. RH 7.0
installed fine, but for some reason RH 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 hang during
install startup.
I've read that this is because these distro's try to probe the drive or
something, and get
locked up because of it's ATA/100 nature. I don't know the details, or a
workaround,
but I want to get RH 7.1 on this computer! If you find any solutions,
please let me know.

Thanks,

-Chris

------------------------------

From: Sky Lemon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 02:00:47 GMT

Steve Sivier wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sky Lemon
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, the mouse is indeed great. And all of the mouse's functionality
> > worked
> > with Win2K Pro, even though the Belkin switch must "emulate" some other,
> > generic sort of mouse. Maybe it emulated a 3-Button wheel mouse, whose
> > wheel
> > is also a 'button' (pressed down)? But that would be too good ;-) What
> > I'm
> > most concerned with is how to tell linux whether I'm using that mouse
> > (when
> > I'm docked), and to disable the touchpad, and when not to use that mouse.
>
> Oh, and the silly touchpad still works (unfortunately). On my Toshiba,
> it is disabled, but I haven't been able to disable it on my Inspiron.
> But I haven't really played with the BIOS enough to see if there's a way
> to disable it.
>
> Steve

Hmm... I've been reading "The New XFree86" by Bill Ball with pretty up-to-date
info in it.
I suggest it for anyway who is determined to get all their peripherals working
properly. There
are ways to disable pointers (mice) within the XFree86 config file. Do a "man
XFree86" and
checkout how the file is formatted, then either look on the net for specific
problem solvers
involving this file, or get that book I mentioned. :-) Right now I'm working
on getting Linux
to swap XFree86 files when docked vs. undocked.

Good luck!

-Chris