On 10/12/2013 07:18 PM, Mika Westerberg wrote:
If we have two ACPI enumerated devices, they have following modalias:

   i2c-device0: i2c:INTABCD:00
                acpi:INTABCD

   i2c-device1: i2c:INTABCD:01
                acpi:INTABCD

Likelihood that some random I2C driver has INTABCD:00 or INTABCD:01 ids in
their list is minimal. However, when you turn it to this:

   i2c-device0: i2c:INTABCD
                acpi:INTABCD

   i2c-device1: i2c:INTABCD
                acpi:INTABCD

It might be possible that we get a match that isn't supposed to happen.
Well, OK it is pretty remote but anyway :-)
Well, name conflicts could occur of course but still I don't think we should generate illegal or wrong modaliases. I'm not an udev expert but I suppose trying to load nonexisting drivers (i2c_INTABCD:xy) could slow booting a little and perhaps pollute needlessly error log compared to if it can see that driver is already loaded or tries to load the same driver again.

I don't think name conflicts can pose too big risk as they are trivial to fix in sources and can be queued to stable too.

--
Jarkko