I can understand the reluctance to put out a warning before verifying
the problem.

I would be willing to reproduce the problem if you have some debugging
data you want me to collect.

If you are concerned about the data corruption coming from the technique
I used (copying the OS installation from a utility boot environment),
then it may help you to know the following:

1. that I reproduced the problem 3 or 4 times with the 2.6 sata_promise
driver before deciding to try Promise's 2.4 driver; and
2. that I used the same procedure of copying the same source OS from a
utility boot environment after switching to the 2.4 kernel and the
Promise driver, which resolved the problem.

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 16:20, Mark Hahn wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Joe Harvell wrote:
>
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=111029414823303&w=2
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=111054989026053&w=2
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=111230129320297&w=2
>
> all pretty much the same report (by Joe).
>
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=111214149529209&w=2
>
> leads to
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2247734.html
>
> which is somewhat more interesting, though rather fuzzy.  there's something
> about the driver deciding not to handle an interrupt (nobody cared), after
> which the driver is toast.  some claim that this might be dependent on which
> disk is attached.
>
> fundamentally, the problem is to isolate whether the (few) reported problems
> are due to peculiarities of the reporting machines or not.

> personally, I don't think this kind of warning is warranted.  it's like
> saying that "rm" should have a warning because users have experienced
> data deletion when mistyping it...
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in
Joe Harvell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]