On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:52:33 +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> I've got a box here based on current Debian Stable.
> It's got 15 Maxtor SATA drives in it on 4 Promise TX4 controllers.
>
> Using kernel 2.6.21.x it shuts down, but of course with a huge "clack" as 15
> drives all do emergency
> head parks simultaneously. I thought I'd upgrade to 2.6.22-rc to get around
> this but the machine
> just hangs up hard apparently trying to sync cache on a drive.
>
> I've run this process manually, so I know it is being performed properly.
>
> Prior to shutdown, all nfsd processes are stopped, filesystems unmounted and
> md arrays stopped.
> /proc/mdstat shows
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
> unused devices: <none>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~#
>
> Here is the final hangup.
>
> http://www.fnarfbargle.com/CIMG1029.JPG

Something sent a command to the disk on ata15 after the PHY had been
offlined and the interface had been put in SLUMBER state (SStatus 614).
Consequently the command timed out. Libata tried a soft reset, and then
a hard reset, after which the machine hung.

I don't think sata_promise is the guilty party here. Looks like some
layer above sata_promise got confused about the state of the interface.

I did a quick sata_promise test here with kernel 2.6.22-rc4-git8 and FC4
userspace, and there was no problem shutting the machine down.

/Mikael