> I was talking to Kristin this morning about doing that.  I was
> concerned that there is not anybody certifying that each individual
> disk drive model / firmware release is properly implementing the
> Security Erase function.
>
> Are you aware of testing body, etc. that publishes a white-list of
> drives that are known to have a proper implementation of Security
> Erase?  Lacking something like that and realizing how rarely it is
> used, I'm not sure it should be trusted.

That would be a question to ask some of the security bodies - or possible
T13 (the standards people). Given there are only about 4 major drive
vendors left it sohuldn't take long to ask them however.

> Performing both a Security Erase and calling shred on the drive might
> be the ultimate one-two punch.

Can't do any harm - and in theory drives can reject (not ignore!)
security erase. Some mini ones seem to.