Mark Lord wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
Mark Lord wrote:
..
static int __init mv_init(void)
{
+    /* Ideally, a device (second parameter) would "own" these pools.
+     * But for maximum memory efficiency, we really need one global
+     * set of each, shared among all like devices.  As below.
+     */
+    mv_crqb_pool = dma_pool_create("mv_crqb_q", NULL, MV_CRQB_Q_SZ,
+                    MV_CRQB_Q_SZ, 0);
+    mv_crpb_pool = dma_pool_create("mv_crpb_q", NULL, MV_CRPB_Q_SZ,
+                    MV_CRPB_Q_SZ, 0);
+    mv_sg_tbl_pool = dma_pool_create("mv_sg_tbl", NULL, MV_SG_TBL_SZ,
+                      MV_SG_TBL_SZ, 0);

Sorry, I would far rather waste a tiny bit of memory than this.
..

The waste amounts to perhaps half a page, per port.
The chips have either 4 or 8 ports.

But whatever.  I think libata should actually provide the pools anyway,
since most drivers need hardware aligned DMA memory of very similar requirements.

The pre-existing scheme in the driver is insufficient,
as it does not guarantee correct alignment.  Right now it does
appear to work by accident, but there's no alignment guarantee
in the interface unless pools are used.

When we allocate 32 SG tables *per port*, this becomes much more of
a bother, so pools are needed there to avoid waste.

Having the pools per-port rather than per-chip multiplies any waste
by factors of 4 or 8.  I prefer not wasting memory, myself.
..

Actually, it currently does one set of pools for the driver.

An only slightly worse solution might be to do one set of pools per chip,
as much of the time there's likely only a single chip anyway.

And per-chip means we'll have a struct device to pass to the pools interface.

So I'll change the driver to do it that way.

I can do this as a supplemental patch immediately, which will minimize
the need for retest/rebuild of other changes.

Or re-issue patches 10,11 as a single new patch, and possibly reissue
patches 12,13,14,15 but only if they no longer apply cleanly.

Just say exactly what you require here.
And keep in mind that any change I make incurs a 2-day wait
while the Marvell folks vet it again (not my choice).

Thanks