On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 01:08:21PM +0200, Adam Morrison wrote:

> As long as we're quoting Perl.gods, how about this one from Tom
> Christiansen's `Csh Programming Considered Harmful':

An enlightening diatribe indeed.

[
> There's a reason for that; for small tasks like this, using something
> like awk for is not only clearer and more concise, it's also much
> more faster than using a monster like Perl.

[benchmark snipped]

A tool is a tool: if it's useful to you - good. If you have a large
toolbox - great. You will probably benefit from it.

I think in Perl about these things, and the time it'll take me to
look up the correct syntax for awk is longer than the difference in
run times :-)

--
believing is seeing
[EMAIL PROTECTED]