if you want to do a backup of your entire HD why not using the MSDOS
program GHOST ?
I think that it supports linux File Systems. and since it copy every bit on
your HD then it will not be a problem to recover the info.

I recently installed a new card called Magic Card that supports linux quit
well.

If you want some more info then pls replay me.

Mike

"Stanislav Malyshev a.k.a Frodo" wrote:

> AJ>> Stupid check-and-the-egg question. I want to back up my entire
> AJ>> hard-drive to a tgz file using tar. How can I do this, without
> AJ>> adding the tar to the tar?!
>
> Well, you might prepare the file list beforehand (with, e.g., find) and
> then feed it to tar or cpio.
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]      \/  There shall be counsels taken
> Stanislav Malyshev      /\  Stronger than Morgul-spells
> phone +972-3-9316425    /\              JRRT LotR.
> http://sharat.co.il/frodo/      whois:!SM8333

Michael Almogy.
System Administrator
Mofet Institute.