Quoth Ilya Khayutin on Fri, Jul 21, 2000:
> >From this thread I got the impression that most people
> here think that C++ is still that language which has
> no standart, used by small groups of people and is
> realy useless. Well guys... IT IS NOT THE 80s
> ANYMORE!!!

Pity.

> It is year 2000 and C++ is a standartized
> language

Yeah right.

> which is used by a VERY large amount of
> people.

Same large amount of people who choose Windows and eat in
McDonald's.

> The GNU compiler, g++, supports *_well_* 99.9%
> of the standard C++

Some C++ professional say otherwise, but I'm not one, so I won't
comment on this.

> Also, exprience has proven that using an OO design for
> large software packages is MUCH more efficient than
> plain function based design.

C++ is an object-oriented programming language?  Gimme a break.

> Someone said that because gtk+ uses its own
> implementation of an OO architecture in plain C, there
> is no reason to it to use C++. WHAT???

Nothing.  People wrote object oriented code in C long before C++
was born.  Object orientation is a function of design, not
language.  You can write object-oriented assembly, and you can
write C++ with gotos.

> There is a big diffrence between a C++
> class and a C struct: PRIVELEGE CONTROL!!

So?  You can't _really_ hide what's inside.  You always open your
header files.  Anyone can just insert "public:" into the header
file and do whatever they bloody want.

What about this: C is a small simple elegant language.  It's
relatively easy to learn.  There are lots of people who actually
know all of C by heart.

C++ is a bloated pig which just grew into existance.  It has
helluva lot of features.  There are very few people who actually
know all of C++.  Everybody knows some subset, and the problem is
that everybody knows a different subset of the language.

The biggest mistake in design of C++ was to base it on C.

> It makes the code MUCH less buggy.

Yeah right.  There was some programmer that reported that in his
experience C++ programs were almost always bigger and almost
always needed longer time to write than functionally equivalent C
programs.

Who told you all this stuff?  Your programming language teacher?

Vadik.

--
If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected
abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor, and when