AS>> That is necessary for copyleft. If you could take Linux and release it

Sure. So be aware that any time you read "proprietary" in FSF texts, you
should read "non-GPL", since GPL restricts not only more strict licenses,
but also less strict. I understand why it's done, but let's be honest -
don't say "we don't allow proprietary software to take advantage",
omitting the part of "we also don't allow more free software to take
advantage, because of our political agenda". Not being honest here results
in unfair advertising, which leads people to troubles.

AS>> But there is no virus, and there is no contamination: just remove that
AS>> person's code from the program, rewriting it if necessary. The rest of
AS>> the program is not affected by the removed code's license. It never
AS>> was, either.

Yeah, but I though whole point of "free software" was sharing, right?
Getting the world better, maybe... And here we see typical EULA argument -
"you don't like it, you don't buy it". So we're back to square one, right?
No free software revolution anymore, just another kind of EULA?

AS>> the FSF can release a more liberal version of the GPL and it will
AS>> automatically apply. And just to make sure, there is always dual
AS>> licensing (invented by Larry Wall, a classical TIMTOWDI approach :)

Well, dual licensing code as GPL and BSD (or GPL and PD, for example) is a
real way to make GPL look stupid. I wonder why nobody tried it just to see
what it will do - just for curiosity. Or someone did and I missed that? I
wonder what would be FSF reaction on that. But you do understand that dual
licensing actually makes GPL void and RMSs fear of proprietizing GPLed
software come true? You take GPL code, wrap it into a package, license it
under GPL+PD, then take new package under PD (forgetting about GPL
part) and do whatever you like. GPL even hints you could do that, in
paragraph 5:

==quote==
  5. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not
signed it.  However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or
distribute the Program or its derivative works.  These actions are
prohibited by law if you do not accept this License.
==end quote==

So, if there was anything else that allowed you to distribute and modify
that program (like dual licensing under PD), you perfectly might do
anything you want, right?
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      \/  There shall be counsels taken
Stanislav Malyshev      /\  Stronger than Morgul-spells