I think the newsforge article misses an important point. From the article:

"
I have friends who work for Microsoft, and they are perfectly nice people.
But I'm sorry, this is over the line. A company that makes this kind of
threat in response to requests that it follow the basic rules of free
enterprise and competitive capitalism
"

Microsoft *is* playing by the rules of competitive capitalism. That's how
it got to a big near-monopoly. The emergence of such monstrosities is an
inevitable consequence of a free market economy.

Thanks,
Uri
http://translation.israel.net