On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 17:45, levo wrote:

> > You can work with PIM in two ways: client/server and peer to peer.
> >
> > For example, one can use Outlook for schedilng by having all the clients
> > connect to a  server (Exchange) or one can use Outlook in a peer to peer
> > mode and have each one manage his own or her schedule but be able to
> > send/recieve apointments via mail. Outlook also has a feature to share
> > busy/free time via http/ftp/smb. if you use the peer to peer mode, you
> > don't need Exchange, just a working mail server and a shared file server
> > somwhere (this can be as simple as a windows share somewhere).
> >
>   I was told that Microsoft abandom peer-to peer Outlook path

But of course you would be told that, otherwise all the customers that
pay for Exchange seats and server would get a *serious* cognitive
dissonance. Nevertheless Microsoft does not have the business ability to
kill this mode of work since it is how most Outlook users that access
their Internet email from their ISP work and indeed it works flawlesly
in current versions (that is they say the next Outlook virus you get can
schedule you an apointment with some random person on the Internet if it
was so inclined...)

> > Evoulition follows a similar path - in peer to peer mode you work in a
> > similar way to Outlook.
>
> Please confirm that Evolution has Server Path , i.e scheduler/calendar data is
> stored on server and  Evolution/Outlook client communucates with Evolution
> server

You got it slightly wrong - there is no Evolution server. Evolution
connector let's Evolution use Exchange. See for yourself:
http://www.ximian.com/products/connector/download.html

If you are intrested in a complete server solution running on Linux for
use with both Outlook and a Linux client check out Bynri Software 's
Insight server (available here: http://www.bynari.net/) and/or HP
OpenMail (available here: http://www.openmail.com/cyc/om/00/index.html)

The CEO of Bynari Software mentioned in an interview not so long ago
that they are working in cooperation with Evolution to produce an
Evolution version that works with InsightServer (why oh why didn't they
call it 'ChangeServer'? then every Exchange installation would have
become 'ex-ChangeServer'...) as well as Bynari's own Linux based client
(thus allowing your users to use the best PIM IMHO, Evolution, and at
the same time to to avoid using Exchange, something  which is very much
recommended due to the high risk of exposure to terminal psychotic
attacks by your sysadmin if you go that path...) I have no data on the
current state of this effort.

There is also one more route - the do it yourself Exchange replacement:
It is completly possible and feasible to recreate above 95% of Exchange
functionality using commonly available and free tools. The recepie for
this hack is as follows:

Take 1 spoon openLDAP server, add 2 squirts of Courier IMAP, half a cup
of Qmail and 3 spoons ezmlm (ezmlm-idx is also possible but more salty).
Sprinkle some Qmailadmin and IMP webmail server according to taste and
top it all with several Perl scripts (the Yemenite version of the same
dish uses Python). Stir heartly and bake in the oven for 3 hours. Serve
hot. The quantaties cited above are enough for 100 - 1000 users
depending on hardware and quality of Perl scripts.

As a matter of fact, InsightServer from Bynari that is mentioned above
is nothing more then a commerical highly integrated version of this
popular dish.

A word of warning though - you WILL need at least a moderate to high
level of Linux Fu in order to get this running and Managment are going
to be breathing down your neck the whole time of implmentation
regalrdless of the fact that you will be providing 95% of the
functionality with less then 1% of the price, but of course - they
wouldn't have pointy hair if they weren't managment, now would they?

The interesting bit of my homepage that I was refering to before might
shed some light on this issue. It is a quote from a reply to an email I
wrote to someone. In response to no particular demand I bring it here
whole:

-- BEGIN QUOTE ---

> btw, your mails come off wrapped at ~90 characters per line? oh, i see
> you're using outlook. never mind :)

Yes [sigh], The PHBs wanted Exchange and I said "no way! we can do
better with open tools". They said: "It will be impossible to build.
Exchange already exists". Then I built the damn thing and it worked and
they said: "Yes, but it will be impossible to maintain", so I hacked
some perl script so even the PHB could manage it and they said "Well,
but what about support?", so I challanged the VP of Operations to a
battle till death in the meeting room and slew him with the Klingon
bat'leth I bought at that secret little shop in San-Francisco for
exactly these kind of cases, and finally they were quite. But when I
started complaining  about using Outlook as the client the CEO took me
to a little chat and asked me not to make a big deal out of it this time
because the cleaners bill for the rug in the meeting room cost
them a bloody fortune, so I had to give up ;-)

-- END QUOTE --

> Where is the your homepage you proposed me to look ?
[snip]
> > If you're interested in what happened in one company that tried to
> > implment this, the quote on my homepage might be... interesting :-)
> >
>    AND THE URL is  : ????

Lev Lev, my dear fellow primate, considering the fact that you work for
a company called Sapiens, it is only ironic that you failed to do either
of the following simple things:

1. Observe that my email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED] and deduce that
http://benyossef.com is indeed my homepage.

2. Search Google for "Gilad Ben-Yossef" and click on the first link
found....

Must I really spoon feed you with *Everything*? :-)

Gilad.

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://benyossef.com