On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 12:23, Alex Shnitman wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 23:07, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
> > Take 1 spoon openLDAP server, add 2 squirts of Courier IMAP, half a cup
> > of Qmail and 3 spoons ezmlm (ezmlm-idx is also possible but more salty).
> > Sprinkle some Qmailadmin and IMP webmail server according to taste and
> > top it all with several Perl scripts (the Yemenite version of the same
> > dish uses Python). Stir heartly and bake in the oven for 3 hours. Serve
> > hot. The quantaties cited above are enough for 100 - 1000 users
> > depending on hardware and quality of Perl scripts.
>
> This covers the e-mail server side of Exchange; how about central
> calendar management? Is there an Exchange replacement for that too?

No, but ask yourself whether you really  need central calender
managment. Sometimes the answer will be yes (and then you'll do goot to
chaeck Bynari InsightServer which solves that problem as well) and
sometime you'll discover that you are willing to have everyone worjk in
peer to peer mode with the added twist that you put the personal
mailboxes (pst files for outlook, .evolution for evolution on a central
server for backup). You get slightly less functionality for a very high
decrease in cost and very high increse in availability.

I can testify from my own expreince that i was able to pull this off in
my previous place of work and that when the hard time came (and they did
as you all know) the money saving on not having to renew Exchange
license and all that jazz might very well have bought it a couple more
months of lifeline cash.

As I said this is only recommended if you have an inhouse highly
comptent admin.

Gilad.

> What other things that the Exchange server offers are not covered by
> this solution?
>

> --
> Alex Shnitman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> http://alexsh.hectic.net/   UIN 188956
> PGP 0xEC5D619D / E1 F2 7B 6C A0 31 80 28  63 B8 02 BA 65 C7 8B BA

Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Code mangler, senior coffee drinker and VP SIGSEGV
Qlusters ltd.

"A billion flies _can_ be wrong - I'd rather eat lamb chops than shit."
        -- Linus Torvalds on lkml