Hi,

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:13:15PM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
[snip]

> A possible solution which doesn't seems to be sophisticated as the one
> you are looking for is a remote console.
>
> 1. Have the BIOS restart the machine when it can.
> 2. Make the Linux boot loader wait for confirmation on the console
> before it continues.
> 3. Use a remote console: see the Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO.

I played with a serial console. I even sent to this list a pseudo-howto
(before the real howto was written).  While I love it, it's only good for
a few servers, not tens of machines in different physical locations.

> Alternatively you can have the machine boot by default into a runlevel
> which does not provide full services but still gives you sufficient
> means to switch it from a remote location into one that provides full
> services.

This one I like better. The main thing that bothers me is the damage
that can develop with a continues up/down loop with unstable electricity.
If I suppose that the main damage is to the disks (which is not
completely true), I can spin down the disks for a few minutes, and after
that spin them up and use them (this is mainly for machines that mostly
use their disks for swap, with nfsroot).
This doesn't help other parts, like monitors.
I still think that WOL is much cooler, and the only problem is
dependency on hardware (and BIOS).

Thanks anyway,

        Didi