On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Omer Zak wrote:

> According to a brief Web surfing session, the options are:
> Bochs - a Free emulator - not suitable for my needs, because it is
>         emulator and not virtualizer (i.e. very slow).
> plex86 - a Free virtualizer - suitable for people, who want to develop it
>         rather than use it as a reliable tool for their own work.
>         For me to use it, would be like using a 2.5.* kernel for my
>         regular development work.
> VMware - Workstation 3.2 costs $299 per license, and 30-day free
>         evaluation is available.  Some people recommend it.
>         Can use Linux based host.
> VirtualPC (http://www.connectix.com) - Virtual PC5 for Windows costs $229,
>         There is no information about a version running under Linux host,
>         but I sent them an E-mail message asking about this.

use vmware, and forget about anything else. for 300$, you get something
that works, that gets further developed, that works quite well, and with a
near-current CPU will work fast enough for your needs (any p-III 700Mhz or
above would make it almost invisible).

the support for 'undo' of file system changes is valuable with software
that might corrupt the system, as well as with testing installation
scripts. saving on those 300$ is a simple waste of time, and other
products don't tend to come near what VMWare does.

at my former workplace, VMWare was used to test installatin procedures -
they had several operating system copies with it, and it saved a lot of
time for developers.

btw, just to add to the confusion, you always have the option of using
norton ghost to save a copy of partitions, and install and delete them
when needed - it takes about 5 minutes to recover a typical windows 2000
installation (10 minutes if done over a network). but this is quite
inferior relative to the time it takes booting an OS under VMWare.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,