Hi,

I modified phpnuke to allo utf8, and started filling the site with content
(although for now the search function has been disabled because I expect it
not to do Hebrew yet). Then, after viewing a Hebrew article as html source, I
noticed that instead of unicode chararacters I got numbered entities. A quick
look at teh MySql table revealed that everything was stored in numbered
entities (what a waste of space).

Problem is that paragraphs in numbered entities are not entirely displayed as
rtl, in that the paragraphs are left justified and the bulleted lists are
backwards, even though the entire section is between <span
dir="rtl">...</span> tags.

So I figured somewhere in that software must be a function to turn everything
that is not latin1 into entities. I couldn't find such a user defined
function (yet) but did find one standard function called htmlspecialchar(),
which turns ampersands, quotes and angle brackets into entities, as well as
htmlentities(), which turns every non latin1 character into a numbered
entity. You'd think I found my function, but the problem is that the latter
function does not show up in any of the php files, so I am at loss as to what
function does the translation.

My question: what other php function may be doing translation of unicode to
numbered entities? What should I look for? Anybody familiar with phpnuke out
here?

Arie
--
It is absurd to seek to give an account of the matter to a man
who cannot himself give an account of anything; for insofar as