On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Arie Folger wrote:

> On Thursday 19 December 2002 11:19, shlomo solomon wrote:
> > I have a strange problem. Actually, I've solved it, but I don't like the
> > solution and I don't like not knowing what's causing it. So maybe someone
> > can help.
> <snip>
> > The problem is that every so often (I don't know when it happens), the
> > permission becomes 600 and non-root users can no longer read the file.
> > There are also some gz files in the /var/log/mylogs directory (created by
> > logrotate). The same thing happens to their permissions too.
> >
> > My solution was simple - run a cron job to reset the permissions for all
> > files in the directory to 644. But, although that works, it seems strange
> > that **something** is changing the permissions back to 600.
>
> PAM does that. Read the various settings under /etc/pam.d I had a similar
> problem with certain device files, until I discovered that the settings were
> reset (as part of devfs, IIRC) and would best be set using pam.d settings.

pam changes permissions for device files - NOT for log files - at least
not the way it is ocnfigured on redhat systems - and it has no reason to
touch any permissions related to log files at all. it messes with device
files, in order to allow the user that logged on via the console, to gain
access to certain 'console-based' hardware (e.g. sound device via
/etc/dsp).

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,