On Saturday 21 December 2002 21:56, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> logger is indeed such a quick-and-dirty tool...
I'll try it - but aside from my curiosity about what's causing this, it's not
a high priority item (at least until I finish lots of other things I want to
fix on my system), since as I wrote at the beginnng of this thread, a cron
job to **fix** the permissions regularly solves the problem.

> logrotate runs daily, not weekly, BTW.
I do know that. What I wrote was that:
1 - this particular log is rotated weekly
2 - the permission change occurs randomly - sometimes more than once a day
For those two reasons, I came to the conclusion that logrotate is not the
cause.

> Maybe the script that runs the relevant service does some chmods? I recall
> that Mandrake's /etc/init.d/httpd use to do such unpredicatable stuff.
If you mean the script that checks the ADSL, the answer is no. It's something
really simple I wrote myself. Basicly, it pings my provider and if he's
**dead** calls another script to kill pptp and restart it again + appropriate
messages to the log, which as you already know is not really an **official**
log - just a text file I created.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://come.to/shlomo.solomon