It's a standard trick :-)

Messages in these files are separated by "From " lines (notice the space).
Why do you use less?  You can supply the file name to grep:

egrep -c '^From ' /var/spool/mail/USERNAME

I'm not familiar with pine.  Have you checked it's docs?  It sounds like
a trivial question.

Cheers,

--Amos

v2pz6_58z35eg0

FreshAddress.com http://rd.mailshell.com/ad482
Earn up to $3 for each of your friends who signs up with Mailshell!
http://rd.mailshell.com/sp5