Let's not forget the target: - free (fsf style if possible) knowledge to
everyone.

The platform is not important , as long as it's not limiting.
For the young ones, there is no answer in GNU and others  afaik.
For older kids, there are plenty of tools and resources. I mentioned earlier
phpbb which is an excellent
example. You should see the joy of  this kids when they dwell into the
source, change it and immediately
see the results - not to mention the cultural experience using public
forums. It's just the beginning:
they share ideas and modifications to the software - minute as it comes but
I think you are getting my point.

they couldn't have been free to do so unless it was free. I remember that I
wanted to install the Turtle (it's a program
from Matah I think used to teach VERY young kids) and I found out that it's
not free and thus only few
could afford it.  WHY?  It's public money and it should be free.

Now I'm getting to my point, so please wake up :)
Every software developed with public money should be free, FSF style.
I think that MOE should be the first target because in education, lame
security (MOD style) excuses will not hold
and at least formally, education is free and equal.