Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does that mean that you draw the line wherever the law goes?

That's part of it, but it also seems a reasonable place to draw a
line, which I hope is why the law is what it is. After all, I have
bought the CD legally, and I only want to listen to parts of it in
sequence. I think it's fair. Others may think differently (and may go
to jail for their principles). Just because their opinion differs from
mine I don't brand them either criminals or traitors to the noble
ideals of freedom.

> Leaving the nitpicking comment that any defined view is a particular
> one, I don't understand what you have against our current strategy, or
> why did you exclaim that first statement saying "I will not be a part
> of it". It seems like our current "Hamakor" strategy is the same as
> you suggest.

I am glad if it is. It is not so clear to me though, because, if you
re-read the thread, there are voices that suggest a Stallmanist line
as an official policy of Hamakor. All I did was saying that in my
opinion it is narrow, divisive, and shouldn't happen. If it does, I'll
have to consider what I should do. Does Hamakor have a problem with this?

> Did you see anyone from this list, or from Hamakor, doing that?

Yes.

> And if they did, but that was under the "opinions" section?

It was on this list. All of this list is opinions. However, there was
an explicit opinion (that I respect) that my views were at the core of
the Hamakor goals (or something like that), and that I simply had to
make them widely known for that reason.

> Talk to me - what bothers you about Hamakor?

The possibility that it will adopt Stallman's POV and start pointing
fingers at, boycotting, and whatnot those (members or others) who are
deemed "traitors to freedom".

> But why make Linux better if you don't believe, because of ideoligy,
> that it should be better?

I don't see where ideology fits in. I am happier with Linux rather
than with Windows because it does work better to me, partly because of
GNU and other tools that come with the system, partly because of the
transparency that comes with Open Source, partly because it's cheaper,
partly for other reasons. And it's still not perfect, so it should be
better.

And I don't use Windows because of the lack of useful tools and
applications, because its protocols and formats are incompatible with
anything else (a technical point, mind you), and most of all because
of a really pityful interface.  If it were technically good enough and
worth the money, I'd use it happily.

All of this is purely pragmatic, and I don't see anything remotely
resembling ideology here. Of course, you can always say that trying to
avoid ideology is also an ideology...

> But why is it that you believe Linux *should* be better at 16-way SMP?
> Why not just recommend another OS for that task and leave it at that?
> The only reason I can think of is ideological.

Wrong. It well may be that Linux is much better than the other OS in
many respects, and were it not for the scalability it would be more
suitable for the task, so by eliminating the show-stopper of a
scalability problem in Linux I will get a better overall solution. It
may be more practical to do that than solve all the problems of the
other OS.

> When does an argument stop becoming practical and starts becoming
> ideological?

When you start branding Linus a traitor because he chooses BitKeeper
as his revision control system because BitKeeper is "not free". The
argument like "we'll have a problem if BitMover folds and/or Larry
McVoy gets hit by a bus" may be practical (or not, if there is a good
enough answer to that; btw, often there is, there exist all sorts of
schemes that solve the problem even for closed source software), but
an argument like "BitKeeper cannot be redistributed freely" is not.
Or when you force your system administrator to switch from qmail to an
inferior MTA because "qmail takes away freedom #3". Mind you,
switching from Linux to Windows because "Linux is distributed under a
viral license" is not a technical argument either. Oops, got caught
preaching to the choir...

> Lets take qmail as an example.

Sorry, I have never even tried to use qmail, and I cannot say what its
deficiencies, strengths, license terms etc are, so I am out of my
depth here. Although it seems significant to me that even a
self-professed Stallmanist like Ira uses qmail, apparently choosing
technical reasons over pure ideology.

Anyway, I do think this is sort of arguing that my religion is better
than yours or the other way around, which is precisely my point. I
would only like to point out that there may be infinitely many
situations where RMS, Ira, you, and myself will make the same choices
and same decisions. In some cases we will do it for the same or
similar reasons, because I do agree with a lot of what RMS (and you,
and Ira) say. In other cases it will be a complete coincidence because
we will do it for totally different reasons. Assuming you, like me,
don't run Windows on any of your home computers, we may find out that
you don't do it for the ideological reason that it is not free, and I
don't do it because I think it is unacceptable from the usability
point of view.

My problem is that I was sitting at Stallman's lecture, thinking,
"this sounds right to me... and here I think he is wrong..." and then
it occurred to me that if I stand up and say that I disagree it will
look like I am against some basic, universal values that everybody
should share, because that's how things are presented. And then I
thought that that was a much more serious and basic problem than any
particular point I was in disagreement with. It didn't take me much to
understand all that because it is a very well known phenomenon. And
this is exactly what happened in the public dialogue Ira drew me into,
which quickly took the form of "how can you be against something so
basic and global?" All I said was, it's not basic, it's not global,
and using this kind of argumentation will not necessarily help the
openness in software, which is a practical goal that I consider
important. I think something like this last idea is common to all of us,
but the issue of whether one should be able to copy music and software
freely for one's friends is not. If you know what I mean, Pooh.

My dialogue with you, Shachar, is split between specific examples of
my non-existent ideological fervor you try to think up, and the really
important part of why I am concerned about Hamakor. I am concerned
about Hamakor because in my opinion the official position of Hamakor
towards Stallman should be, "RMS is entitled to his opinions which do
not contradict our goals in any way". If you go over the "freedom
thread" you will find a line that pulls towards "Hamakor's ideology is
that of FSF though it'll happily use pragmatic arguments like the Open
Source crowd do, traitors though those guys may be." I see a
difference. If the latter line wins, I won't be able to argue, e.g.,
that freedom of information should not be absolute and remain a
member.

Sorry for yet another long post. Like Ira, I think it is important.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"There is nothing more practical than idealism."