On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Dani Arbel wrote:

> Hi!
> The setup looks ok. I'd remove nis from nsswitch.conf , since I believe
> Eran does not have a Linux farm ...
> so I'd change the hosts line in that file to be:
> hosts:      files dns
> Anyway, I think it is not the problem. Start ethereal to capture traffic
> from eth0 and then try to do some kind of name resolution (nslookup, host
> etc)

could it be that he has a firewall setup that blocks his DNS requests?
they go over UDP connect5ions, and if one blocks all UDP ports, one gets
stuck. eran? any firewall set up there?

you can also try to make DNS queries directly to the DNS server, using the
'host' command. something like:

host ftp.netvision.net.il 194.90.1.5

'host' will query the given name server (194.90.1.5) directly for the
details of 'ftp.netvision.net.il'. if this works, it means no firewall
problems. if this does not work - i'd suggest making sure the firewall is
(temporarily) disabled (if indeed it is running at all) by 'iptables -F',
and then running this check again.

please note that in current distributions, one chooses the firewalling
level during system installation, and you _might_ have accidentally set it
up, and a mode that blocks your DNS queries (or the DNS replies).

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,