Hi,

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, shlomo solomon wrote:

> FWIW - I tried SpamAssassin and Razor, but the overhead caused by Razor was
> too much. Instead of downloading 50 e-mails in a minute or so, it took almost
> an hour!!!!! I checked the headings added by SpamAssassin and discovered that

I don't know when that was. Razor2 appears to be quite fast, unless you
set it up to automatically submit all caught spam to razor.

> none of the detected spam was because of Razor - the internal SpamAssassin
> rules were doing all the work. In any case, I disabled Razor and use only

My mileage has been about 60%-70% of spam was listed in Razor2, the rest
was caught by SpamAssassin.

> SpamAssassin with fairly good (but far from perfect) results. Here are some
> observations about my results:
>
> 1 - as stated above  Razor adds too much overhead and little benefit

As I said, this could be a case of wrong setup, or older Razor. I have
crontab call up fetchmail every 10 minutes from 2 pop accounts. The mails
are delivered to postfix which calls procmail and procmail fires up
SpamAssassin. Even when I get 50 emails on several mailing lists (and my
mailing list rules are below the SpamAssassin rule) it still takes only a
minute or two.

> 2 - in three weeks SpamAssassin caught 350 spams and missed 120
> 3 - in the first couple of days, there were a few false positives, but that
> was easy to tune and lately there are none.

I've had far fewer misses. About 1 in 30, constantly. And about #3 - yep.
Same happened to me.

> 4 - since I'm using SpamAssassin on KMail, I decided to move some of my
> filters up in the list so they'd be checked before SpamAssassin - that way, I
> speeded up the proccess.
> 5 - I'm considering changing sensitivity from the default 5 to 4. Nearly half
> of the missed spams had scores between 4 and 5.
> 6 - I'm also considering raising the number of points given to certain words
> like Via***, pus**, mortgage, etc.
>
> I'd be interested to hear comments about 5 and 6 since I haven't done them
> yet.

Hey, experiment... Set things up so that 4-5 spam level goes into a
separate folder, and see how many false positives you get. That will help
you decide.

        Amit

--
Amit Margalit