Sorry to join this discussion so late.

Since I have to use my machine mostly on w2000 I am looking for a free solution
for mail filtering. Tried annoyance-filter using cygwin environment but there are
times it gets stuck and takes 98% CPU. I liked the proxy stuff though. Any
recommendation?

shlomo solomon wrote:

> On Sunday 26 January 2003 21:39, Amit Margalit wrote:
> > The debug info is printed to stderr, but KMail may be capturing this into
> > /dev/null. See if you can configure KMail to do otherwise. Do you start
> > KMail from an icon / menu? If yes, try starting from commandline and see
> > if you get any debug messages on that xterm.
> I tried that and it didn't give any messages, so maybe they are being sent to
> /dev/null :-(
>
> But, I do have some news and a theory. I'd be interested to know if it makes
> sense. After removing the --local switch, performance again deteriorated, but
> it's not nearly as bad as it was before. Without SpamAssassin, I download 50
> messages in about a minute or two. When I originally tried SpamAssassin, it
> took me about a minute per message!!! Now, I'm getting about 4 e-mails
> downloaded in a minute.
>
> On the other hand, my filtering results were fairly good, but not at all as
> good as what you wrote about. But, now, all of a sudden, with no change to
> the system, I'm getting results as good as yours. Before, NONE of the e-mails
> were rejected by Razor2 and I was missing about 25% of the spam. Now, Razor
> is rejecting 60% (like your statistics) and in the past week, I've had 147
> spams, only 5 misses, and only 4 false positives. The false positives were
> all from HTML formatted mailing lists (including lots of advertising) so I
> can't blame SpamAssassin for the errors.
>
> Now, here's my theory. Is it possible that for some reason, during the week I
> tried SpamAssassin originally (beginning of January) the Razor2 server was
> down? If that's the case, it would explain why I had absolutely no spam
> rejected by Razor, and maybe there was a timeout of some sort causing the
> terrible performance of SpamAssassin.
>
> I'm still not happy with the 4 messages per minute, but at least I can live
> with that - not like one a minute on my previous attempt.
>

> --
> Shlomo Solomon
> http://come.to/shlomo.solomon
> Sent by KMail (KDE 3.0.3) on LINUX Mandrake 9.0

Thanks.

David Harel,

Home office +972 4 6921986
Fax:        +972 4 6921986