On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Voguemaster wrote:

> Pardon my intervention but when have you seen a normal
> software package containing only makefiles and has
> a 'configure' option ???
> If I remember correctly, configure is a part of autotools.
> I could be wrong tho :)

configure ('./configure') is a pure bourne shell script produced by
autoconf (with an optional help of automake).

The idea is: The package maintainer has the specific version of autoconf
and automake installed. But those create a configure scrpt that configures
that package to (hopfully) any system that is close enough to posix.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]