1. Having an internet connection through ADSL/Cable together with a local LAN.
2. Having the rest of the Internet know your dynamically changing IP address
under one name.

#1 is too difficult to explain "on one foot", as we say.
#2 is just a matter of finding a DNS hosting organization that will put your
domain name on their servers, let you change the IP address associated with
your domain name, and place a TTL (time to live) of about 60 seconds on the A
records.

I suggest you take a look at :

www.dyndns.org
www.afraid.org

There is a great resource on dynamic DNS: http://www.technopagan.org/dynamic/

This solves #2 completely, and can be totally free. I use both of the above.

Email me directly if you want more info.

    Amit