I'm using mandrake 9.0 with kde3.

There is a keymap changing utility that comes with kde. Can someone explain to me what this small applet actually does and where it gets all the keyboard maps it uses?

I looked in /etc/X11/xkb/keymaps/xfree86 and other files I found there and couldn't see the (il) entry there. I did find an 'il' entry in symbols directory, however I also found 'il_phonetic' and that doesn't show up on the list with the flags in the control center. Moreover, my XF86Conifg-4 loads a layout of "us". It seems that the keyboard mapping applet does something else, gets the list from some where else… can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks