On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Eli Marmor wrote:
> By the way: an unknown fact, is that more than 50% of the worldwide
> UNIX installations belong to SCO, and all the other (including Sun and
> HP) have (together!) less than SCO alone. In numbers, and ignoring
> costs, it is possible to say that SCO shipped more licenses than all
> the others together, and was leading the UNIX market.

Can you back this up? I've read elsewhere (in the Open Group's position
paper on the trial IIRC) SCO owns more around the 3% of the WHOLE
market, and if you put that alongside what you've just said, that would make:

94% M$/Linux
3%  SCO
3%  SOLARIS+AIX+IRIX+HPUX+...

Sounds... dubious.

Unless you count up apples and oranges, and compare Sun Enterprise 10K
server installations with little SCO McDonnalds on-site franchise
x86 installations. Which would render this whole thing utterly
meaningless. But then again, you said that :-)
--
Miki Shapiro <aris at pharoe dot com>
Unixophilic Software Developer