Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote on 2003-07-24:

> Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> > My home network consists of 3-4 computers and an ADSL modem all
> > connected one to the other with cross RJ45 cables, with no hubs.
> > This was simplest at each point in time (it started with two computers
> > and one cable and at each point I had enough network cards) but it's
> > somewhat inconvenient because intermediate computers sometimes need to
> > be up just to pass the packets.
> >
> > So now I consider adding one or two hubs.  But hubs need cables that
> > are not crossed.  Replacing all cables would cost a non-negligeble
> > price.  Besides one long cable passes inside the wall and replacing it
> > is out of the question.  I can re-solder all cables (or re-frob the
> > connectors but I don't have the device that does it) but I'd rather
> > avoid the trouble.
> >

> You're willing to re-solder/re-from Rj-45 cable to save the cost of
> buying new ones? Beni, if I ever open a garage startup I'm hiring you as
> a sysadmin ;-)))

;-)  Not quite ready, otherwise I wouldn't write this mail.  If there
would be no better solution, I'd either live with the existing setup
or buy new cables.

> Now for the answer:
>
> Most hubs/switches have an "Uplink" port. Sometime it's a seperate port
> and sometime it's a port that can be switched from "normal" to "uplink"
> using a jumper.

I've got one hub here and yes, it has such a port.  One cable saved.

> In addition, at least my ADSL modem (Alcatel) actualy has "crossed"
> socket so that you can use a regular cable to connect it to the computer
> without a hub, which means one of your cables might already be a non
> crossed one.

Same modem - one more cable saved :-).

> So, assuming two hubs (with uplink ports), 3 computers and one ADSL
> modem (with a crossed port) I would:
>
> a. Use 1 crossed cable to connect the two hubs via a normal (not an
> uplink!) port. I assume this would be the long cable passing via the wall.

Ah, hub<-->hub is again crossed.  That's what I missed in all
calculations.  Thanks!  3 down :-).

> b. Use the uplink port on each hub to connect one computer each using a
> crossed cable.

Two actually, I'll have two computer per hub (not counting the modem).
Anyway, that's acceptable.

> This means you only have to purchase 1 more regular cable to conect
> the remaining computer. Since it costs considerbly less then two
> hubs I believe it wont be an issue :-)
>
> Hope this helps,

Yes, thanks!

--
Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If I don't hack on it, who will?  And if I don't GPL it, what am I?
And if it itches, why not now?  [With apologies to Hillel ;]