On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Amir Tal wrote:

> debian sid, dell inspiron 4000 laptop.
> installed kernel-image-2.6.0-test2-1 with apt-get. installation went
> fine. took a look at lilo.conf after installing, looks ok to me.
> when booting the new kernel i get a kernel panic, and a message that
> tells meto append a correct "root=" option in lilo.conf.
>
> running lilo returnes to errors, and the old image (who uses the same

                       ^^^^

         is that 'to' or 'not'? if it's 'to' (which is odd, anyway) - what
are the errors?

> parameter from lilo, root=/dev/hda3, boots just fine.
>
> images are in the right place in /boot with the correct names, and links
> from "/" are ok and matching entries in lilo.conf.

(note: the following is written in a didactic tone - not in a scorning,
       angry or "you don't know anything" tone - so please read it that
       way)

here you are, hiding important information from the public, and yet expect
ideas to come. someone here asked about debugging lately -

 the first rule of debugging is - never make assumptions about what works.
 the second rule of debugging is - never make assumptions about what works.
 the third rule of debugging is -

 hmmm... well, i think i shouldn't mention that third rule - you wouldn't
 like it anyway.

anyway, you should not tell us where there are no problems. if you gave up
on finding the problem yourself and you refer to the list for help - you
supply _all_ the information, and you don't "force" your own assumptions
on us - one of them is _probably_ wrong, or you would have solved the
problem already.

so, mind writing again, and this time, without "information hiding" and
"data encapsulation"? we want the private members of "amir's problem" to
be made public ;)

here are some things you've hidden:

- what does it mean that 'installation went fine'? does it mean that you
  saw no errors, or that the installation also has a 'test' optoin, that
  performs post-installation tests which report that the installation
  meets all post-install conditions?
- what is the contents in lilo.conf that "looks ok to you" ?
- _what_ kind of kernel panic message do you get?
- what is the _exact_ message?
- what are the 'ok' paths and links?
- did you read the post shaul karl sent here about installing kernel 2.6?
  what did you do about it?

(by the way, i'm not expecting a reply to the first item - but i do
expect a reply regarding the rest of them).

waiting for your next post,
--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,