Why would anyone need to click just to bring a window into focus? I
never do that. Whenever I bring the mouse cursos into a window it will
come into focus.

Yeah, and you know how many times I brought into focus windows which I didn't intend to?

Why do you minimize windows at all?
 I never need to minimize a window.
As a matter of fact, I practically never use the panel (in KDE). It is
hidden 99.99% of the time,

I don't minimize either, on the other hand I don't hide my panel (gnome/fluxbox on linux or OSX doc)- I like to keep and eye on what is doing what where.

Why is there a shortage of screen real estate in the first place? Ah,
no virtual desktops...

I have 12 virtual desktops, but I am still short on screen real estate. The other day I found myself with about 20 applications open- most of them with more then one window.
(I tend not to exit applications, and keep them sleeping after use for when I need them, as I tend to jump back and forth a lot)

 It does not
impress me though, because "I never minimize windows and I don't
understand why anyone would need to." ;-)

Ah, and you never move them around either?